EV to ICE Transition

You had to plan your trip and schedule your hunger around the battery capacity.

Your choice of restaurants was limited to walking distance to an available charging station.

You interrupted your meal to walk back to the car to check the charging.

It wasn't charged after lunch so you hung around for another 17 minutes. The 17 minutes delay and charge level of 93% were accurately timed and noted.

That's awfully fussy, more a hobby than reliable transport. We just get in the car and go, knowing we can gas up and squeegee the windshield in 5 minutes if the gas gage looks low. We can drive straight through, or eat anywhere we like on our own schedule, or pick up some chicken strips and curly fries at JackInTheBox and snack on the way.

The chicken and curly fries at JB are really good. The one at Red Top Road is convenient. One can also take them to-go and eat at the rest stop just west of there, with picnic tables and a fabulous view.

Reply to
jlarkin

"The plates will create alternating electric fields that attract and repel a pair of matching plates attached to the bottom of the EV"

The vibration will annoy people. The corona in the charging lane would look cool at night.

Reply to
jlarkin

Sure, you can always pull over anywhere and there's never a problem finding gas.

Rick C

30 minutes will get me 30 FREE miles, even for my Leaf. It's right off the freeway, no detour either. Some of my time is worth money and some of my time is FREE. Even when charging, I can do either, as long as I have my laptop and phone. I don't believe you are making money every minute of your day either.
Reply to
Ed Lee

Having an electric car is, for some people, like trainspotting. Or clipping discount coupons.

Reply to
jlarkin

On Thursday, 13 May 2021 at 07:30:01 UTC-7, snipped-for-privacy@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote: ...

Most conventional vehicles these days also have a prediction or range to empty.

Electric vehicles LOVE stop-and-go traffic - the reduction in aerodynamic losses more than makes up for the energy required for the hotel loads.

One hour remaining stationary would be no problem - an extra kWh may be - out of 75.

I've seen many conventional vehicles that have run out of fuel in such circumstances.

kw

Reply to
ke...

Not very much and we would normally plan similarly even with a conventional vehicle.

The choices of eating places along roads such as highway five are not very glorious and some are much better than others.

And the charging stations are usually located so as to make that convenient. There were five charging places along our route we could have chosen.

No, no interruption required. My phone kept up to date with the status.

I didn't hang around - the car was already charged to the level needed it had to "hang around" until I was ready and finished my meal. The car just made productive use of the time.

I just checked possible routes and since the chargers and cars have been updated in the last year the trip to Santa Barbara could be done with only a six-minute charge at a possible choice of nine charging stations.

... I'm sure that could be done with an EV as well.

I'm not denying that electric vehicles currently do need more preparation than with conventional vehicles but those preparations are fairly minimal for the few times a year they are required and getting less as development continues.

The rest of the time there is more convenience than with a conventional vehicle, which reminds me, I need to get my conventional car serviced even though I haven't used it in over a year, that will take me a few hours, many more than I spent charging. The Tesla hasn't required any service since I bought it almost three years ago.

kw

Reply to
ke...

One of the things that is hard to fully appreciate even when consciously known, is that facts, information, reality are often not effective in combating ignorance. It seems that often ignorance is willful. One can only assume this is because the person clutching to their ignorance with both hands has some reason to prefer being ignorant. God only knows what that reason might be.

I spent some time on gab.com. Wow! I thought I might be able to have some discussions there, but the starting points always seem to be aberrant conclusions with very few facts to back them up. There are still a lot of people who share the hallucination Biden did not win the election fairly. I couldn't find a way to start a discussion on renewable energy.

Reply to
Rick C

It's actually pretty cool how rapidly Tesla is building up the charging network. A charging stop at Glen Allen, just north of Richmond, VA, used to have 8 bays. Now it has 20! A new station was added south of Richmond at Petersburg has 8 V3 charging bays with 250 kW. That is where the model Y owner told me he got >1000 MPH charging rate at first. Wow!

Reply to
Rick C

Chris