OT. Apollo 11 Astronaut Died at 90

He didn't get to take the first hike on the moon.

Dean Hoffman

His job was just as important. And he faced the very real risk of returning home alone...

John

Reply to
John Robertson

John Robertson snipped-for-privacy@flippers.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

But he didn't and thanks to that I have a one ounce Proof Silver commemorative coin with Buzz Aldrin's footprint on it and a five ounce roof as well. Almost bought the Gold but they were already out.

I was nine, So I bought the coins when I was 59.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

I guess he has commented that he liked being on the back side of the moon. Mission Control couldn't bug him then.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Much like The Martian where the character appreciated Huston, but liked to do things his own way if he was sure of the job...

The author paid quite the homage to the original astronauts - particularly the Apollo guys.

John ;-#)#

Reply to
John Robertson
Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

That had to be REALLY something !

I can try to imagine...

What a great time to be alive.

Reply to
boB

Yes, while Armstrong and Aldrin were on the moon Collins became the most important person in the whole mission and the safe return.

Most folk interested in that era have a favorite astronaut and Mike Collins is mine. Very humane and articulate. His book "Carrying the Fire" is essential reading to anyone interested in spaceflight.

piglet

Reply to