Buying Greeenland

this group has a lot of lifelong academics and multi-degreed white-collar nerds pretending like they're long-suffering down-home Real America working-class heroes too, that farmers and truck drivers and auto repair workers would actually like and respect vs. just treat superficially nice because they've got money.

Reply to
bitrex

I didn't vote for Clinton or Obama or Clinton or Trump. I do accept that a lot of people did, and am willing to live peacefully under the government that they selected. I can design electronics under Democrat or Republican presidents. [1]

No slavish devotion, just respect for democracy and other peoples' opinions.

Individual humans are very different, roughly normally distributed. It's not productive to divide 300 million people into two warring, snarling, cursing tribes.

[1] but the corporate tax cut sure helps.

If there were anything existentially "wrong" with not respecting other people's opinions then engineers would have nothing to talk about

Reply to
bitrex

that was September '93 I didn't have a computer yet. or a driver's license

Reply to
bitrex

Usenet was a tumbleweed-filled wasteland by the time I found it. I had to consult the historical archive to find out what had happened. The ancients had done something. Something horrible.

Reply to
bitrex

Winning the popular vote with a three million margin isn't "coming close".

If Hillary Clinton was anything like as defective as you want to claim, she wouldn't have won the popular vote at all.

Sadly, the electoral college forms part of different kind of game - one originally designed to encourage the smaller states to take part. It was never a good idea, and no subsequent constitution has been silly enough to adopt it.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

The proposition that Trump isn't entirely sane has nothing to do with democ racy.

The process that got Trump elected over-represented the votes of people in the smaller states, which isn't democratic.

The fact that Trump's eccentricities have become more florid since he came to power hasn't got anything to do with democracy. The outcome was pretty d isreputable from the start, and there's nothing civilised about ignoring th e increasingly bizarre antic of a dangerous buffoon.

John Larkin posts an illogical flame, and complains that the post he was re acting to was a flame. Bitrex's lack of respect for a regrettably disreputa ble elected president doesn't constitute any kind of flame - John Larkin ma y not like it but that doesn't make it a flame.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

But right now you are just trashing with an off topic post in a thread about Greenland.

So? It would be a lot better here if you didn't post all your personal and political crap. It is just so ironic that you complain of off topic posting when you are near the top of the list in that regard.

So why don't you join your friend and stop posting here until you have something worthwhile to post?

--

  Rick C.

  + Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Rick C

There is no national popular vote, the general election is comprised of a b unch of individual elections at the state, district and territory level. Th e idea the idiot won the popular vote is therefore a fraud for several reas ons. The first is there was only 60% turn-out in the 2016 election, which m eans a very high degree of potential variability in results, and the second is the people would have voted far differently if the outcome was to be de termined by a national popular vote. It would have been a completely differ ent election iow.

ting

Why do you think the vote would have been different if the selection had be en by popular vote? I suppose the campaigning would have been different. But that simply means instead of focusing on a handful of swing states, the entire country would have been included as "target audiences" rather than the few in the larger states with a close vote.

I know conservatives like to put down anyone they can any time they can. B ut do you really believe this is the right way to select a President, but c oncentrating the election on about 10 swing states? Shouldn't everyone in the country have an equally important vote?

To me it's not about losing or winning an election. I believe it is only r ight to let the entire population have as much say in who is the next Presi dent as anyone else in the country. But then, I guess I'm an idealist and too many people have their own interests at stake to allow everyone a fair shake.

--

  Rick C.

  -- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Rick C

Lots of things seem totally chaotic to John Larkin. He does have a problem with the term chaos, for a start.

You did impeach Nixon, which prompted him to resign. There's nothing magical about four years, and every other advanced industrial country has mechanisms for changing the administration when something has visibly gone wrong.

Flexibility may confuse the simple-minded but reality doesn't organise itself in four year chunks.

The rich and the very rich. It's a feature of countries that go in for single member electorates - each electoral district is very likely to end up with a representative who is a member of one of the two biggest parties.

Proportional representation gives you multi-party democracy, and coalition governments. I've lived in countries with both systems, and coalition governments seem to work a good deal better.

You should try it. The system you've got was innovative when it was first adopted, but early adopters do need to move on as the technology matures.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

til they

n. Great

ight get

tt. What

robbed

heer him

as-I

ns

ou

ime?

oing

hose

at

deeds

n.

enly.

ble.

om

.

No, that's not what he said. The fact that someone doesn't agree with you doesn't mean they don't respect the process by which we elect people.

I am the guy who doesn't respect the electoral college and am hoping it wil l be an irrelevance by the next Presidential election. The National Popula r Vote Interstate Compact has a chance of being in force by the next electi on. Of course someone will try to challenge it in court saying it's not ri ght that each state determines how the electors are chosen even though that is exactly how it is done now in accordance with the Constitution.

Article II, Section 1, Clause 2. "Each State shall appoint, in such Manner as the Legislature thereof may di rect, a Number of Electors"

--

  Rick C.

  -+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Rick C

from

ave.

in

ad,

.

ngs

at,

John Larkin doesn't seem to vote at all. Granting his level of political so phistication, this is probably the right choice for him and his electorate.

nder the government that they selected.

When Trump lost the popular vote by a margin of some three million votes, t he proposition that the country as a whole "selected" Trump is a trifle dub ious.

It's probably not worth starting a revolution to correct, but a movement fo r electoral reform does seem overdue.

Bearing in mind that John Larkin's idea of the design process looks more li ke other people's idea of tinkering with stuff until it more or less works.

Tearing up dubious solutions and starting over is a necessary part of the d esign process. The fact that that this doesn't happen in Darwinian evolutio n is one of the reasons for rejecting "intelligent design".

Some peoples' opinions are too ill-founded to deserve any respect. Trader4 does come to mind, but John Larkin's faith in Anthony Watts denialist propa ganda is another obvious example.

And, as James Arthur is prone to point out, the US isn't a democracy.

That's why proportional representation, multi-party democracy and coalition government is a whole lot better. There's quite a lot of snarling and curs ing on the hustings, but inter-party negotiations within a coalition tend t o be a lot more civilised and constructive.

In the short term. Trump isn't a long-term kind of guy, and what he gave wi th the corporate tax cut, he's taking away with his trade wars.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Hope it works out better than Denmark's 1940 "revenue-sharing" agreement with Germany lol

Reply to
bitrex

No more chaotic than the US system. Different, yes, but not inherently more chaotic.

A key component of the current insane outrage is that in 2011 the idiot Cameron introduced the "fixed term parliaments act".

Normally when there is such dissention we would have had a general election to resolve what is the /current/ will of the people and who they want to lead the country.

Now that's impossible.

Not entirely. The Rebublicans have their militant insurgency called the Tea Party.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

There's international law, the UN declarations of rights, and a variety of influential countries that have democratic institutions; these establish a principle of all persons having influence.

Influence is widespread; it's flatulence that (one hopes) is confined to only a few. I'm not sure what the twisting panties metaphor is intended to convey...

Reply to
whit3rd

Folk come to respect different things, because we're all individuals. We have a certain measure of integrity, and cannot be forced into sameness.

In the words of another poster, you may be "getting their panties twisted over things that they have no influence on"

Reply to
whit3rd

The Tea Party has been mostly neutered and made irrelevant. Witness the greatly increased spending, doubling of the deficits and not all that much protest from the Tea Party folks. Nor do these alleged patriots seem at the least concerned about Trump attacking NATO, saying he trusts KJU and the threat from NK nukes is over, siding with Putin over America, etc.

Reply to
Whoey Louie

I can't imagine the residents of Greenland even considering consenting to the purchase unless Greenland became a fully-fledged state of the USA, complete with domestic air services without passports.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Whoey Louie wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

So, you are saying that this manner of working in America is not an American thing?

Looks like he got paid for services rendered.

How many seminars do you give a year and how many get you paid?

Seminars hell, when have you *ever* given any kind of speech other than the pure spew that comes out of you here. Well, fat boy?

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Whoey Louie wrote in news:16201f8a-b76d-4ea0- snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Sure shows you for the utter idiot you are.

Since it has been that way long before Trump and likely even before you larded up. Yeah... you need taught. The problem is that little ineducable feature you sport.