Maybe a good product idea that could be 'nabbed' by anyone

Hi all,

I've been thinking about this product for quite a while now, and I may be wrong but it could be a great way to globally save electricity & maybe even lives.

In an earlier Silicon Chip article someone posted a simple soldering iron timer that used a clothes dryer timer. I thought the idea was good, and scavenged a timer from the local recyclers but have yet to do anything with it.

Anyway, this led me to think of something that may save a lot of electricity and also offer a safety aspect. How about a generic countdown timer?

This (mains supply) unit would have to be simple due to it's most likely use for forgetful or elderly people. It should also have a rotary type input to make it easy to use

From my own perspective I also have a lot of 'wall warts' (DC supplies) that I leave connected and using power. Add the TV etc. also.

Of course if this is a good idea then I've pretty much screwed myself for making any money out of it by posting this message, regardless...

As this is an electronics forum I'd like to ask your thoughts on how to best implement this idea.

  1. Clothes Dryer control. Easy to make and inexpensive, but not 'scaleable'. ie. the 'product' should have different 'templates' to allow for a different range of times.
  2. Microcontroller and RC servo. Limited feedback due to pot, but maybe viable
  3. Microcontroller and Motor-driven Potentiometer ie. remote volume control. Maybe more expensive again.

Anyway, just thought I'd throw this out as an idea. Probably one that someone else will patent and make a stack of money off, but I think this could really save power consumption.

Reply to
philx1

Timers already exist. End of story.

Reply to
terryc

I have a better idea. Why not have a motion detector similar to those that are used for outdoor lights but that plugs into a power point and has a power socket. That way the soldering (or laundry) iron will be turned off if the user is absent for a while.

Reply to
David Segall

Frankly I'd rather have simple +/-Hrs and +/-minutes buttons. Similar count-up/count-down timers with change over relay outputs for On/Off control are already available.

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

Thanks MtT,

That's a nice simple idea, and to the exact point of my question as it's all about what can be easily used (big buttons & display) especially for the elderly etc.

Can't say I've seen an > count-up/count-down timers with change over relay outputs for On/Off cont=

rol

Reply to
philx1

philx1 formulated the question :

There was one that looks like the square double adapters that are everywhere. It has a simple knob to set short (few minutes) to about 2 hours. no calibration just a tapered marker. Came on when the power point was turned on, went off after time and stayed off till the power point switch was cycled. Very usefull for Microwave, Iron, spare room TV etc. Made by Clix and no one seems to have them anymore.

--
JohnG
Reply to

on 25/09/2010, John G supposed :

Of course the double adapter shape is rectangular (silly me) and the maker is CLICK not Clix.

--
JohnG
Reply to

Hey, thanks also John G,

Amazing how this product no longer exists, also HPM which is another sad byeout of Aussie produced stuff. I often wonder what Aussies can sell lately, maybe some meat & uranium, but not much else. As this is a totally different subject, I'll try not to get angry...

Anyway, thanks much for the feedback John G.

where.

=A0stayed

Reply to
philx1

That'd work. Our clothes iron has an inbuilt motion sensor - leave it still for 5 minutes and it beeps for a minute before shutting itself off. Its a cheap mid range clothes iron so it can't cost too much to manufacture.

Reply to
Dennis

still

Yeah my Sunbeam does that, and it's over 20 years old.

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T