We would not be here were it not for DTSS

This is one of the major groups that brought us forward.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

BASIC was an advance? Anything I could do in that I could do better and faster in FORTRAN, (or assembler, for that matter).

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Bill Sloman wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

You are truly an idiot and obviously did NOT watch the video.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Thanks for posting that link. It refreshed my memory of the development of operating systems.

Do not pay any attension to Bill. He has a condition similar to turrets syndrome. He has to post something negative about nearly all posts.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

" snipped-for-privacy@krl.org" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

I like how he keeps saying "And they were all undergraduates."

Another cool refresher I watched was the one about Einstein's brain.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

This story doesn't just honour a major group, but the man - Professor John Kemeny - as the visionary who brought the concept forward of getting computers into everyone's hands.

An amazing man, movies need to be made about his life and influence on the world of computing.

John

Reply to
John Robertson

This isn't accurate. I do post negative comments about defective posts - which are numerous, and Dan doesn't know enough to realise quite how many of them are defective (including his).

There is no "turrets syndrome". What he was probably thinking of was

It was kind of him to illustrate his unfortunate ignorance in his post. He also misspelled attention, but we all make minor mistakes.

--
Bil Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

BASIC wasn't any kind of advance. It was just a cut-down FORTRAN shrunk to run on really cheap, small computers.

Dartmouth did get in early on training undergraduates in programming, which was a good thing, but BASIC wasn't any kind of advance.

FORTH, LISP, PASCAL and Algol were designed around that time to be better computing languages than FORTRAN (which wasn't a particularly ambitious target).

The ideas from Algol and PASCAL showed up later in "C" which might qualify them as "advances".

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Higher IQ, Better University, More Moneya

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

" snipped-for-privacy@krl.org" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

I think you got it right... turrets syndrome. He sits on Usenet in one place (sed) and turns and fires off in all directions. Just like a turret.

His projectiles are deformed and his barrel lacks rifling, a long known improvement. His bearings are probably getting gummed up too. Maybe a good thing. Used to be the guy one would see standing on a soap box in the middle of an intersection, uninvited.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Pity about Dan. He posts his delusions so we get to appreciate how far he falls short of being able to proceed from facts to reliable conclusions.

Sadly, he illustrates that scoring well enough on an IQ test to get into a high prestige university doesn't mean that you have enough sense to profit from the advantage that it might have given to somebody who could think straight.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Bill Sloman wrote in news:fe6de236-bb0d-43e8- snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

And yet you trickled through, an interloper to the entire human condition.

Maybe one day you will get one thing right. Your demise.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Who stumbled on three patentable ideas. And picked a fourth one as patentable, but the guy who had edited the paper that had triggered that thought had got there first.

AlwaysWrong back on form.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

If I do not have enough sense to profit , why do I have so much money?

Dan

Smarter , better university, richer

Reply to
dcaster

Yes, I think so. That was a very interesting video.

I remember time-sharing and BASIC as well as Super BASIC. My program allowed me to design very small high voltage transformers in a few seconds rather than hours. And other designs as well. That was in the early 60s.

Note that BASIC still exists in many forms and is very useful for solving problems quickly. Power Basic comes to mind. I think JL uses it for several purposes, like for his stock parts inventory.

Reply to
John S

Since we don't know how much money you have, it is difficult to be impressed by your claim that you a lot.

The "profit" I was referring to was an intellectual one, which you've clearly missed out on.

But incapable of evidence-based reasoning, and apparently free of any clear idea of what might constitute evidence. Your opinion of your own intelligence is clearly optimistic, and your idea of your relative wealth could be equally flawed.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

And people think that climate change denial propaganda is worth propagating.

The fact that you can use BASIC and it it's variants to eventually do what you could do faster with a more appropriate language doesn't make a good choice.

DLUNU was claiming that the invention of BASIC represented some kind of advance. Teaching lots of undergraduates to program was a good idea, but that's it.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

That's not unlike saying that teaching kids to read and write was a good idea, but that's it. Probably just use reading and writing to record cooking recipes - a waste of time!

It seems to me that allowing the average kid access to computers sparked a major interest in these machines that would not have developed anywhere near as fast.

In this matter I might fairly claim that you are the denier...(ducking)

John ;-#)#

Reply to
John Robertson

Bill Sloman wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

No, idiot. I was relating to the fact that those men changed the way mainframes and minis were utilized at colleges. Look at my topic title, dumbass. DTSS. That is a different paradigm over batch processed computing. Kind of like lean manufacturing.

I know you have to run off and google a couple things now...