Why does the Raspberry Pi exist? - Page 10

Re: Why does the Raspberry Pi exist?

In a common folder they are owned by anyone. In a shared folder they
are owned by that group. In Rob's folder only Rob and someone with
administrative privileges can access them unless Rob changes
permissions.

In windows server 2003 (wot I last worked on before I retired) you log
on as administrator and go to rob's folder. Click on it and copy it
across.

No need. Files are not so much owned in windows as accessed by
permissions.

Re: Why does the Raspberry Pi exist?

Ok, so you don't know about file ownership in Windows.
No problem...  just move on!

Re: Why does the Raspberry Pi exist?

Doesn't exist

Re: Why does the Raspberry Pi exist?

So what are the owner and group SIDs in the security descriptor for then?

Re: Why does the Raspberry Pi exist?
           snipped-for-privacy@server2.cs.uofs.edu (Bill Gunshannon) wrote:

<snip>

That sounds like the scenario where directories, subdirectories and
files are protected against Administrator. You do "change owner" on
the tree, then try and change permissions, which appears to fail. It
has however changed the top directory.

You then repeat the two steps, and it changed subdirectories, and I
think all files. (It might need a third pass to get lower files.)

When I've encountered similar problems, this works.

--
Alan Adams, from Northamptonshire
snipped-for-privacy@adamshome.org.uk

CACLS /T

HTH

--
It's a money /life balance.

Re: Why does the Raspberry Pi exist?
declaimed the following:

    While that may be a "default" behavior, it is NOT required. It is
possible to create files/directories outside of "/users/" ("/documents and
settings/") that ARE owned and locked to a user.

--
    Wulfraed                 Dennis Lee Bieber         AF6VN
     snipped-for-privacy@ix.netcom.com    HTTP://wlfraed.home.netcom.com/

Re: Why does the Raspberry Pi exist?
following:

    Files have owners? <G>

    Wait a year for all the Win8 victims to be indoctrinated... Based on
the commercials we are using the equivalent of a late-70s supercomputer...
to run a single application at a time (since you have to basically minimize
the application to even see that mess of icons on the screen). I have
basically four icons on screen: recycle bin, home directory, top-level
"Computer", and a shortcut to a lot of PDF files as I end up answering
questions about various multi-track recorders so often.

    What I DO miss, on this new machine, is the old Office Shortcut Bar --
I used to have some 7 or 8 "bars" on that thing, each dedicated to specific
class of tools (programming, database, finance, photo edit, video edit,
audio... Oh, and communications...

--
    Wulfraed                 Dennis Lee Bieber         AF6VN
     snipped-for-privacy@ix.netcom.com    HTTP://wlfraed.home.netcom.com/

Re: Why does the Raspberry Pi exist?
On Sat, 22 Jun 2013 02:16:28 +0100, Dennis Lee Bieber

Here you go: 1 FWSE away...

http://freebar.sourceforge.net/en/

It's a money /life balance.

Re: Why does the Raspberry Pi exist?
On Tue, 02 Jul 2013 14:12:24 +0100, "Stanley Daniel de Liver"

    Hmmm... I may check it this weekend, though it is old enough that Win7
isn't mentioned (much less Win7-64)
--
    Wulfraed                 Dennis Lee Bieber         AF6VN
     snipped-for-privacy@ix.netcom.com    HTTP://wlfraed.home.netcom.com/

Re: Why does the Raspberry Pi exist?

For the default setup, you hook it up to power, mouse, keyboard (via
USB) and add network (cat5 cable, or wifi) and add a HDMI display.
Then you download the image to an SD card, and off you go. You
have an instant very ubuntu-like Linux, with all the trappings.
(except Wine, the windows non-emulator).

Yes, the window manager is a bit lightweight, and the browser a
bit slow, but that is it. Software builds take around 10x as long
as on a state-of-the-art ARM processor, but that is also close
to instantaneous.

So, you have full linux, plus some hardware you can use for
control and monitoring purposes. The documentation is simply
overwhelming. The apt repository has 23000 applications for
download.

-- mrr

Re: Why does the Raspberry Pi exist?

What do you want to do with it?

If you want to learn about computers, try to stay away from the mindset that
it's a PC.  If you approach it like a 10 year old would, there's plenty of
resources out there.

If you approach it expecting a conversion course from Windows then sooner or
later you'll get frustrated that it doesn't do something the same way.  Then
you'll end up randomly googling - there'll be a guide on some blog somewhere
that answers the direct question, but perhaps the main thing is not get
stuck in the mindset of expecting it to do what a normal Windows PC does.

And for the Pi I ought to point out that it doesn't just run Linux, other
operating systems are available.  So if the Linux way of doing things
doesn't appeal, try something else.

Theo

Re: Why does the Raspberry Pi exist?

Play

Approaching it like a 10 year old would should be easy for me.

I think I am an Elephant,
Behind another Elephant
Re: Why does the Raspberry Pi exist?

I see they are available from Farnell and RS (any others?).  Model B is
28.07 pounds + 5.95 pounds delivery from the first, and 31.20 + 4.95
from the second.  Is there any reason to choose one over the other apart
from price?

--
I think I am an Elephant,
Behind another Elephant

Opinions differ, but they both mostly get stuff to one in a reasonably
timely way.

Re: Why does the Raspberry Pi exist?

Allied, Newark, Element-14 (those two trading under other names)

RS/Allied ship it in a polypropylene box that can be modified into an
enclosure

--
?? 100% natural

Re: Why does the Raspberry Pi exist?

Does anyone do an inexpensive *metal* box? (to reduce radiated
emissions)

--
Windmill, snipped-for-privacy@Nonetel.com               Use  t m i l l
J.R.R. Tolkien:-                                   @ O n e t e l . c o m

These already have a cutout for the GPIO pins.  :-)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/160816963756

Re: Why does the Raspberry Pi exist?

Noted; thank you.

--
Windmill, snipped-for-privacy@Nonetel.com               Use  t m i l l
J.R.R. Tolkien:-                                   @ O n e t e l . c o m
Re: Why does the Raspberry Pi exist?

Gulp!  That rather implies that Raspberry Pis don't comply with RF
emission regulations?

--
I think I am an Elephant,
Behind another Elephant