Why does the Raspberry Pi exist?

just very very badly..:-)

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc?-ra-cy) ? a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I use one of these

it's really handy for temporarily attaching an optical drive, retrieving data from dead laptops etc. Wouldn't be the fastest storage solution though.

Reply to
Rob Morley

And much as I like the Pi, I'm sticking with my Atom servers too - the main issue in that department is the single USB interface - off which hangs the Ethernet interface and a USB hub - to serve the external peripherals - like disks, etc. Anything taking data from USB storage to Ethernet and vice versa isn't going to experience the performance you might like...

The Pi is a great little £25 personal computer - with limits.

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

On 21 Jun 2013 08:27:46 GMT, Rob declaimed the following:

Files have owners?

Wait a year for all the Win8 victims to be indoctrinated... Based on the commercials we are using the equivalent of a late-70s supercomputer... to run a single application at a time (since you have to basically minimize the application to even see that mess of icons on the screen). I have basically four icons on screen: recycle bin, home directory, top-level "Computer", and a shortcut to a lot of PDF files as I end up answering questions about various multi-track recorders so often.

What I DO miss, on this new machine, is the old Office Shortcut Bar -- I used to have some 7 or 8 "bars" on that thing, each dedicated to specific class of tools (programming, database, finance, photo edit, video edit, audio... Oh, and communications...

Dennis Lee Bieber

On Fri, 21 Jun 2013 14:18:59 +0100, Bill Doors declaimed the following:

While that may be a "default" behavior, it is NOT required. It is possible to create files/directories outside of "/users/" ("/documents and settings/") that ARE owned and locked to a user.

Dennis Lee Bieber

Allied, Newark, Element-14 (those two trading under other names)

RS/Allied ship it in a polypropylene box that can be modified into an enclosure

--
?? 100% natural
Reply to

CPC is next-day delivery (at least, my last two were) and if ordered online there is no p&p.

Reply to
Bob Martin

That sounds like the scenario where directories, subdirectories and files are protected against Administrator. You do "change owner" on the tree, then try and change permissions, which appears to fail. It has however changed the top directory.

You then repeat the two steps, and it changed subdirectories, and I think all files. (It might need a third pass to get lower files.)

When I've encountered similar problems, this works.

--
Alan Adams, from Northamptonshire
alan@adamshome.org.uk

I think so. A USBIDE (meaning PATA, for those familiar with a different meaning of the acronym) adaptor with a PATA-SATA adaptor plugged into it ought to do the trick.

Have the PATA-SATA adaptor but haven't yet got a SATA drive to try this out, however I can access a PATA DVD drive from a FitPC this way so I don't see why it shouldn't work with an RPi.

--
Windmill, TiltNot@Nonetel.com               Use  t m i l l
J.R.R. Tolkien:-                                   @ O n e t e l . c o m
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Windmill

Amen to that.

I occasionally put up a simple web page or two, no bells nor whistles, just plain text and hand-written HTML, with links to low res pictures for some folks and (sometimes) identical but high res pictures for those who can use that. One second per page of text, maybe less if its compressible. Pictures are of course much slower, if someone decides they're interested enough to follow the link. If there had been free WYSIWYG HTML tools when I first did this, I might have been led astray, but without them it was DIY.

--
Windmill, TiltNot@Nonetel.com               Use  t m i l l
J.R.R. Tolkien:-                                   @ O n e t e l . c o m
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Windmill

The USBPATA adaptor I have runs from an unpowered hub because it has its own power supply. USBSATA might well be the same.

--
Windmill, TiltNot@Nonetel.com               Use  t m i l l
J.R.R. Tolkien:-                                   @ O n e t e l . c o m
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Windmill

Does anyone do an inexpensive *metal* box? (to reduce radiated emissions)

--
Windmill, TiltNot@Nonetel.com               Use  t m i l l
J.R.R. Tolkien:-                                   @ O n e t e l . c o m
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Windmill

There is a TECO port for Linux.

--
Today is Prickle-Prickle, the 28th day of Confusion in the YOLD 3179
RIP James Joseph Gandolfini, Jr. (September 18, 1961 ? June 19, 2013)

Obviously oak aged VINTAGE port..

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc?-ra-cy) ? a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I've got it: it exists at the request of that secretive four letter acronym. The one whose existence was long denied, and about which reporting may recently have been discouraged by the issuance of notices whose existence is also denied.

The request would have been made when they realised that all the rhetoric about geeks and hackers had persuaded most young people in the UK to take courses in Media Studies instead of computing, and that in the absence of young UK experts it was perhaps unwise to rely too much on the loyalty of new employees who were foreign nationals.

The hope would be that the low cost of the RPi would encourage geeks-in-the-making to tinker obsessively at home and become able to do for HMG all the things that would get them jailed if they did it on their own behalf.

If all this is denied, that would of course prove the speculation to be true!

--
Windmill, TiltNot@Nonetel.com               Use  t m i l l
J.R.R. Tolkien:-                                   @ O n e t e l . c o m
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Windmill

These already have a cutout for the GPIO pins. :-)

Rob Morley

Why bother when you can get a cheap USB-SATA adaptor?

Reply to
Rob Morley

Or the one I bought a while ago, which does USB to SATA, and both varieties of PATA. It won't cope with very old non-IDE hard drives, though....

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Reply to
John Williamson

Gulp! That rather implies that Raspberry Pis don't comply with RF emission regulations?

--
I think I am an Elephant,
Behind another Elephant
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Peter Percival

On Sun, 23 Jun 2013 13:32:38 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@Onetel.net.uk.invalid (Windmill) declaimed the following:

What, GCHQ? Or whomever is behind "the Village"

(Only 4-letter I could think of... NSA and NRO are both 3-letter)

Dennis Lee Bieber