Why I ordered a raspberry PI

Things are complicatiatetered

But I need to jtag FPGA board from my laptop.. This FPGA JTAG cable is for a parport. But raspberry PI has an IO header.. Also speed.. and via network, webpack is on yet on other PC here.

The second plan: being able to record IQ signals for almost any frequency band you can think of, especially tried GPS, I was wondering if I could do an universal replay attack by playing back the IQ via a quadrature modulator setup [1], so dual DAC, QAM modulator, thinking about these 2 chips: AD9761 Dual 10-Bit TxDAC+ with 2 Interpolation Filters AD8349 700 MHz to 2700 MHz Quadrature Modulator

This will require a very precise replay at exactly the same 2048000 sample rate I recorded at.

But it will also create a DVB-T TV modulator as a side effect (with some software), at the final frequency, so no up-conversion. Anyways a replay of those secret NSA CIA transmissions, or providing the white house or wherever coordinates to local drones using GPS, or retransmitting a full 1 MHz wide broadcast band ..

The other thing for the PI is to use it with the DVB-T stick as small portable spectrum analyzer, just port my software to ARM, and add a LCD display... Would make a GPS too, of software defined radio, or...

I wonder if I have to add some hardware FIFO (FPGA?) to make regular samples...

[1] will my noise (spread spectrum) when stronger then the normal signal noise, that is below thermal, replace the whole constellation at once?

Anticipation.

;-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

think of,

,

e rate I recorded at.

software),

g GPS,

table

les...

noise,

seen the Pcduino?

it's a bit more expensive than the raspberry pi, but it's got 1GB ram,

2GB onboard flash and ADCs

and I think you can actually get a datasheet for the CPU

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

Wow! Nice! No heatsink needed, even, huh!

Reply to
mrdarrett

Get a Xilinx USB programmer clone from Ebay. They cost about $30 and work fine under Linux.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

Do you know if the clones can read/write efuses?

Documentation says not even the digilent programmer, which seems to be some what supported by xilinx can do it, only the real xilinx

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

On a sunny day (Thu, 7 Mar 2013 09:01:20 -0800 (PST)) it happened " snipped-for-privacy@fonz.dk" wrote in :

Interesting:

have to make choices. The propriety data for the Broadcom chip does not bother me, Nvidia drivers on my other PC are not open source either, those work better than the nv x driver ... I also ordered a back plastic box, although I may place it in a metal box against RFI, and add a 128x64 LCD I still have around, the same one as in my gamma-spectrometer. I already downloaded the raspbian soft, put it on a 8GB SHDC card, and mounted it loop on the PC. had a look at what was there in the bin directory. Need to add my editor (joe), else I am lost :-) For kernel recompile maybe I should install arm gcc on a PC, will take hours on the thing itself, already I need kernel update before I even have it :-)

Adventure :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Thu, 07 Mar 2013 17:55:11 GMT) it happened snipped-for-privacy@puntnl.niks (Nico Coesel) wrote in :

Now I have an ethernet programmer :-)

Laptop ssh -Y -> wireless -> LAN -> big fast multicore -> webpack Raspbery in ethernet port laptop. And it can do so much more than an USB programmer. It can replace many PIC projects, sure you like that :-) And why xilinx? jtag Altera, or that other one.. Actel.

I just wanted JTAG, I used jtag for this one too:

(actually that is also a Broadcom processor, but MIPS). parports are out these days, a while ago I bought a PCI parport card for a PC... But that PC is in an other location.. Carrying a PC from A to B every time is not very practical.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

it start to add up when you need to add display etc.

might as well get a cheap table like an Odys Xelio 99? from Conrad

7" display, capacitive touch, wifi, speaker, camera, battery, etc. comes with Android 4.0 but as far as I can tell the same cpu as the pcduiono so it should be possible to install linux

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

On a sunny day (Thu, 7 Mar 2013 11:34:53 -0800 (PST)) it happened " snipped-for-privacy@fonz.dk" wrote in :

Yes, I just looked that up at conrad.nl But is has no IO header ? Would make a nice spectrum analyzer if you could stick in the rtl_sdr DVB-T USB tuner. But I already have a HTC android (with real keyboard buttons) that I bought for control of a drone... (can then send pictjures of ground and be remote controlled over large distance (electric motor enhanced glider) via the cellphone towers). but there is some licensing problem here with airspace laws... But the android pissed me of, java in general actually, I just want Linux without some insulated layer of shit on it. Java makes everything 10 x slower, 100 x less secure, is C++ in nature, and that is in itself a crime against humanity, designed to destroy society by the clueless non-programmer Stroustrup

He is an information terrorist! Directly responsible for MS bloat! So, no android (stupid robot anyways) for me, but pure Linux, no C++ (like arduino for the same reason), just simple good ol'C.

BTW I did see 3 ways to hack the Samsung ANDROID galaxy 4 today, in German:

How much worse can it get? Maybe I will buy an extra Samsung monitor soon... This one is not bad at all.... Especially after they repaired it once, and I replaced the caps in the power supply... Just some LCD burn in from xterms I guess. And .. I have 2 small PAL car monitors, that directly plug in the raspberry, color, good resolution actually, so small media player, or colored FFT display??

(ebay item 170671900032 )

OK, :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

It seems anyone can come up with an Arm SBCs these days. The deal is getting a supported linux distribution. I've been using linux on Arm for a few months. Ubuntu has it together. Opensuse is nearly as good. Fedora is way behind. But this is on community projects like Panda, Beagle and a few others. Once you leave the mainstream and have to start rolling your own distributions, this becomes way too much work.

Ubuntu probably has the most money to throw at linux on Arm since it is part of their business model. Since Suse runs "build", they sort of have to be Arm literate. I guess Fedora wants to be able to support the Arm servers. [64bit arm probably]

All these boards boot on SDHC (regular or micro), so it is easy to have a few distributions handy with your software installed. I've been getting 16Gbyte Samsung micro SDHC under $10 at Frys. That is about the size you need for a system if you are going to compile code on it.

There are some cheap Samsung eval boards that in theory run linux.

Specifically this board:

miso

pcduino is an allwinner A10, I think it is the one that is used in almost all the cheap chiness tablets

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

The website says they have Ubuntu 12.10. Sounds good to me. Only single core though. I find I can run 4 SDRs at a time on the A8 if clocked at

800MHz. [Ubuntu sets the governor there.) So you can do a lot with a single core Arm.

Ubuntu 12.10 on arm comes with icewm (windows manager). It works fine.

If you are any good with qemu, compiling big programs on arm should be tolerable. I never used qemu, so I can tell you compiling something like gnuradio takes forever. gcc has flags for the A8, but in my comparisons using NEON doesn't seem to make any difference. Or the software needs tweaking to take advantage of NEON.

Intel should worry. Arm is catching up on processor capability faster than Intel is catching up on low power.

Reply to
miso

That would be even more than 10x in some contexts. I share your point on Java which is a true disgrace for the IT world but C

++ is not that bad, provided - here's the catch - that it's being used when OO is really needed, which is not the case in simple projects, most embedded software and all realtime ones. The problem here is corporate driven misinformation pushing programmers to use the same tool for everything, which is a recipe for disasters.

Speaking of platforms, a new cheaper Beaglebone with hdmi video out is on the way.

Reply to
asdf

On a sunny day (Fri, 8 Mar 2013 09:16:37 +0000 (UTC)) it happened asdf wrote in :

Exactly!

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Ouch! That yellow hurts!:)

Reply to
asdf

On a sunny day (Sat, 9 Mar 2013 12:49:31 +0000 (UTC)) it happened asdf wrote in :

Black on yellow has high contrast... Even used for signs :-) Yes!

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

and that is in itself a crime

non-programmer Stroustrup

And i was beginning to think i would never find anybody who despises Stroustrup and his abomination as much as i do. The forced marriage of two programming languages with incompatible design philosophies and goals producing a beast that is neither fish nor fowl. It incorporates the bad traits of the parent languages more than their good ones.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

that is in itself a crime

Stroustrup

I'm a big fan of C++. The fact that it can be used badly doesn't mean that it isn't a wonderful thing and easy to use well, which it is. I write all my code that needs to be fast in C++, and a lot of the front end stuff in Rexx, which is much faster to code in but much slower to run.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 USA
+1 845 480 2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Yes, usually signs you don't want to miss like the ones warning you of death or serious injury!

A friend of mine is very sensitive to color. She can actually become ill in the presence of the wrong colors. I bet your web site would set her off! You might be amazed at how nice a more muted tone can be. But then I guess that just wouldn't be your personality, would it?

--

Rick
Reply to

Oh yeah, that won't get you busted.

You can't f*ck with GPS signal unless you want to go to jail.

Reply to
G. Morgan