Raspberry Pi lauched

Today the raspberry Pi board launched at the proclamed price of 35 USD:

(they sold 10k units in no time and Farnells site crashed)

This is really a cool system, with tremendous community support, free developer tools and a lot of horsepower for the money.

Earlier thread:

Regards

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

With all the hype for the Pi (which does look very nice), don't forget the BeagleBone. Its a bit more expensive, but it has lots of i/o pins accessible and is probably a much better platform for cheap embedded development.

Its also been available for a few months, so the early bugs have already been shaken out.

John

Reply to
John Walliker

A bit more expensive... it sells for 125USD at Digikey, that 350% more expe= nsive. Is it sold cheaper elsewhere?

Cheers

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

pensive. Is it sold cheaper elsewhere?

Yes, Digikey! Its 89USD.

It all depends what you want. I'm sure the Pi will be very successful and I will probably get one (or more) later, but for embedded hardware developers I think the BeagleBone is well worth a look and it would be a shame if it was forgotten in the Pi frenzy.

John

Reply to
John Walliker

tools and a lot of horsepower for the money.

I see a Broadcom chip. Is it MIPS based? If yes I'd stay away.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

Its ARM11 with integrated graphics processor. I've ordered one to have a play, but I still think the BeagleBone, which is TI ARM Cortex A8 (and which I already have) will turn out to be more suitable for most things I want to do because of its better hardware expansion capabilities.

John

Reply to
John Walliker

expensive. Is it sold cheaper elsewhere?

Another one you might want to look at is the DuinoMite (Dynamite), as it is about the same price as the Rasberry, and now available:

Which is a A BASIC Language Computer for around $30. Plug in a VGA Monitor & a PS2 Keyboard. Save to uSD card.

Can run Linux, and can be programmed in C. Runs on a PIC32 platform.

Has Arduino shield footprint as well.

User group:

Sales:

Cheers Don...

======================

--
Don McKenzie

Dontronics: http://www.dontronics-shop.com/

DuinoMite the PIC32 $35 Basic Computer-MicroController
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/the-maximite-computer.html
Just add a VGA monitor or TV, and PS2 Keyboard.
Arduino Shield, Programmed in Basic, or C.
Reply to
Don McKenzie

Shouldn't that be $31.42 ?

-- "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." (Richard Feynman)

Reply to
Fred Abse