Raspberry Pi

I'm kind of new to Linux, or my Pi uinit. I want to install a BinkD mailer on it... Does anyone have the instructions as to how to do this kicking around somewhere??

Thanx :) IB Joe AKA Joe Schweier SysOp of Joe's Computer & BBS Since 1991 joesbbs.com

Reply to
Ib Joe

Al> It is in the std repository so from the comand line try Al> sudo apt-get install binkd

Do you run BinkD in Linux or Pi?? IB Joe AKA Joe Schweier SysOp of Joe's Computer & BBS Since 1991 joesbbs.com

Reply to
Ib Joe

Re: Raspberry Pi By: Roman Litvinenko to Ib Joe on Sun Sep 16 2018 10:27 am

RL> Hello Ib! RL> This is how I do it.

RL> Run the following commands on your Pi (in Terminal if you use GUI or just RL> in the remote SSH console): RL> sudo apt install git build-essential

Okay, thanx... I have done in part what you said... I think I need to call a friend.... I fly by the seat of my pants on this and did not fully grasp what is needed of me.

At least I know it is done, easy for those with an understanding...

Thanx IB Joe AKA Joe Schweier SysOp of Joe's Computer & BBS Since 1991 joesbbs.com

Reply to
Ib Joe

Hello Ib!

Sunday September 16 2018 07:16, you wrote to All:

IJ> I'm kind of new to Linux, or my Pi uinit. I want to install a BinkD IJ> mailer on it... Does anyone have the instructions as to how to do this IJ> kicking around somewhere??

This is how I do it.

Run the following commands on your Pi (in Terminal if you use GUI or just in the remote SSH console): sudo apt install git build-essential

You can add libncurses5-dev to it if you would like to compile GoldEd+ later on.

Make sure you're in the home dir of yours: cd ~/ Clone binkd sources from repo: git clone

CD into the newly downloaded dir with the sources: cd binkd

Read the UNIX Compiling section of the readme here:

Basically all it says is that you have to run this commands from the dir you have cloned from git earlier:

cp mkfls/unix/* . sh configure make all

Make all might take some time to finish running. After it is done, you may run: sudo make install Which will place a compiled binkd binary into /usr/local/sbin

Thats pretty much it. At the binkd git page you should find a sample config to start with.

Roman

Reply to
Roman Litvinenko

Re: Re: Raspberry Pi By: Dennis Lee Bieber to All on Sun Sep 16 2018 02:33 pm

DL> On Sun, 16 Sep 2018 09:31:35 +1200, snipped-for-privacy@f1.n70.z433.fidonet.org DL> (Ib Joe) declaimed the following:

DL> The R-Pi IS running Linux... Raspbian (presuming you went with the DL> default) is a tweaked version of Debian.

That was helpful.... Good job!!! IB Joe AKA Joe Schweier SysOp of Joe's Computer & BBS Since 1991 joesbbs.com

Reply to
Ib Joe

On 09/16/18, Roman Litvinenko said the following... RL> You can add libncurses5-dev to it if you would like to compile GoldEd+ RL> later on.

If you want an easy route, I have both MBSE and GOLDEDPLUS as a debian package.

I use both under docker on a Pi. You'll find some details the docker side on my site:

Yell out if you would like the debs.

...deon

Reply to
Deon George

It is in the std repository so from the comand line try sudo apt-get install binkd

--
Their idea of an offer you can't refuse is an offer... and you'd better
not refuse.

On Sun, 16 Sep 2018 09:31:35 +1200, snipped-for-privacy@f1.n70.z433.fidonet.org (Ib Joe) declaimed the following:

The R-Pi IS running Linux... Raspbian (presuming you went with the default) is a tweaked version of Debian.

Dennis Lee Bieber

Re: Re: Raspberry Pi By: Ian Whitmore to Ib Joe on Mon Sep 17 2018 02:49 pm

IW> Hey IB Joe,

IW> Your reply to A. Dumas arrived after his mail(timestamped 17th Sep 12:11) IW> but yours was timestamped 16 Sep 20:08 and thus appears before his!

IW> In my naiveity I thought all time stamps and dates were meant to be UTC IW> time.

Interesting....

I just checked the Time and date on all 3 ststems, and they are all the same time, currently Sept 17, 2018 @ 5:04 PM

:) IB Joe AKA Joe Schweier SysOp of Joe's Computer & BBS Since 1991 joesbbs.com

Reply to
Ib Joe

My guess is the Fidonet side of things doesn't have timezones (at all, or set correctly), and the Fido-Usenet gateway is in New Zealand, so all Joe's postings are coming out with UTC+12 timezones. If he's in fact in UTC-5 that would cause his postings to be timestamped 17 hours early.

His quoting is using BBS standards, which is what happens what postings are made on a BBS and gatewayed to Usenet.

Theo (who last dealt with this sometime in the mid 90s)

Reply to
Theo

But you're sending this out marked with time zone +1200, rather than the

+0600 which would match your actual time zone.

(Unix gets this right almost without effort on the part of the admin, thanks to the Olson database. Everything else, including programs running on Unix which don't use the system libraries, struggles.)

Roger Bell_West

If I may step in here:

Ians post and your reply look reasonable in your respective local times with two hours between them but your time zones are strange. My system in Europe flags his as 11 pm but yours as 7 am, making your answer come

16 hours before his post. It seems that it's your time zone that's off.
--

/ \  Mail | -- No unannounced, large, binary attachments, please! --
Reply to

My guess is he is posting from UTC+12-25years. Who the hell uses a BBS to Usenet gateway after the early 1990s?

---druck

Reply to
druck

I used to until recently and shall again, once I get it running after my recent move.

--

/ \  Mail | -- No unannounced, large, binary attachments, please! --
Reply to
Axel Berger

Possibly someone who serves aq clientele with no broadband

--
"If you don?t read the news paper, you are un-informed. If you read the
news paper, you are mis-informed."

Mark Twain
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

On 09/17/18, Roger Bell_West pondered and said... RB> On 2018-09-17, Ib Joe wrote: RB> >I just checked the Time and date on all 3 ststems, and they are all the s RB> >time, currently Sept 17, 2018 @ 5:04 PM RB> RB> But you're sending this out marked with time zone +1200, rather than the RB> +0600 which would match your actual time zone.

Hi Roger et al.

Joe is using a fidonet technology network gateway that is based in New Zealand that I run. His BBS message packets come in via Fidonet style connections with the following kludge lines added. One of which you will see flys the correct TZUTC time code for when he posted things at his end.

Here's the message as I see it on my BBS system at Agency BBS in New Zealand.

[snip]

From: Ib Joe To: Ian Whitmore Subj: Re: Raspberry Pi Date: 09/17/18 17:05 Base: Raspberry Pi

@TZUTC: -0600 @MSGID: 447.fidonetrberrypi@1:342/200 20056ae8 @REPLY: 6112403b @PID: Synchronet 3.17a-Linux Jun 22 2018 GCC @TID: SBBSecho 3.05-Linux r3.86 Jun 22 2018 GCC 4.9.2 @SEEN-BY: 3/50 15/0 19/36 57/0 116/18 120/331 123/140 135/376 153/7715 @SEEN-BY: 218/700 220/60 226/100 250/1 261/38 100 266/404 512 267/800 275/100 @SEEN-BY: 282/1031 1056 291/1 310/31 317/2 3 320/219 340/400 342/13 393/68 @SEEN-BY: 633/280 712/132 848 770/0 1 3 100 330 340 772/0 1 210 500 801/161 @SEEN-BY: 801/189 2320/100 105 3634/12 5020/1042 @PATH: 342/200 266/404 261/38 712/848 770/1 Re: Re: Raspberry Pi By: Ian Whitmore to Ib Joe on Mon Sep 17 2018 02:49 pm

IW> Hey IB Joe,

IW> Your reply to A. Dumas arrived after his mail(timestamped 17th Sep 12:11) IW> but yours was timestamped 16 Sep 20:08 and thus appears before his!

IW> In my naiveity I thought all time stamps and dates were meant to be UTC IW> time.

Interesting....

I just checked the Time and date on all 3 ststems, and they are all the same time, currently Sept 17, 2018 @ 5:04 PM

:) IB Joe AKA Joe Schweier SysOp of Joe's Computer & BBS Since 1991 joesbbs.com

Reply to
Paul Hayton

On 09/18/18, druck pondered and said... dr> My guess is he is posting from UTC+12-25years. dr> Who the hell uses a BBS to Usenet gateway after the early 1990s?

I do. But then I also run a NNTP server as well.... and who starts one of those up for fun these days I hear you ask? I do. Despite rumors to the contrary the BBS scene is not dead. In fact it's on a bit of a resurgence right now. Readers may like to check out mysticbbs.com as a source of software if interested.

Reply to
Paul Hayton

On 09/18/18, Axel Berger pondered and said... AB> I used to until recently and shall again, once I get it running after my AB> recent move.

Hopefully we may connect in that scene sometime soon? Contact me at bbs.nz if you need any help. Cheers.

Reply to
Paul Hayton

Apologies some of my reply did not make it through... here's the rest of it.

[snip]

The gateway software however places a +1200 timezone stamp on the Usenet gated packet because that's where the system resides here in New Zealand. I am not aware of any way to allow his original time zone data to pass unchanged. So that's why you are seeing that.

The gateway has been running for a number of years and the only real issue we've had is that some BBS systems with another gated access to a Usenet group like this have also linked to the gateway I run thereby creating a loop of messages running from Usenet gateway BBS the gateway I run Usenet.

That happened recently in this Usenet newsgroup and I took steps to remove the offending node. This newsgroup is also gated to a mailing list which is where I became aware of some reports about that issue and acted promptly to resolve.

So that aside, the issue of TZ problems causing folks grief in the way they can thread their posts in their favorite news reader is new to me. I accept it's not ideal for some but I'm sorry that can't be helped due to the nature of the older gateway software being used.

As another poster in this thread has already commented there is a work around and that's to simply thread based on reference headers.

I hope this post helps to clarify what's happening.

Best, Paul

bbs.nz news.bbs.nz

Mystic BBS v1.12 A39 2018/04/21 (Windows/32) Origin: Agency BBS | Dunedin, New Zealand | agency.bbs.nz (3:770/100)

Reply to
Paul Hayton

"I am knowingly sending out articles with incorrect timestamps because I can't be bothered to fix my software".

Yes, I'm afraid that's quite clear.

Reply to
Roger Bell_West