r-pi2 server?

On both mine (Raspbian PiB 512Mb) onboard ethernet often doesn't come up after power down. Usually recovers with shutdown -r now (or 3 finger salute). B+ is usually OK - but running OpenELEC not Raspbian.

--

Chris Elvidge, England
Reply to

Why would you do that? - need to pull the plug?

The Fritzbox 7360 says it is also a multi-port LAN switch, so any other PC connected to it can also talk to the RPi. You should also be able to configure its built-in DHCP server to assign the RPi a fixed IP so its easy to connect to it over the LAN.

That done, you can easily shut the RPi down before powering it off. That becomes that even easier if you add a Pi Supply switch, which is triggered by shutting the RPi down: it turns off the power a couple of minutes after the RPi has been stopped via the 'halt' command.

Its not a good idea to power off a running RPi because doing so runs the risk of corrupting the SD card.

--
martin@   | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

er, did you miss the bit in your quote about the network interface not coming up? B-)

Dave.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Quite :)

I've had no trouble with the network interfaces under Raspbian on any of my RPis (Early B, later B x2, B+, 2B).

I'm using the 2B to replace an old x86 machine that I've been using as a server for various things, and so far it is proving better in every way (performance, size, power usage, noise) :)

For one system that runs headless I've hooked up a button to 0V and one of the GPIO pins (with a pull-up to 3.3V) and set something to monitor the state of that pin. If the pin stays low for more than 0.5 seconds the script initiates a clean shutdown. Simples ;-)

It would be easy to put in a second button to trigger a reboot instead.

That wouldn't work in the case of a system hang, but then you just use the reset ("run") connections to reset the RPi.

Reply to
Dom

There is a reset input pin to the Pi. It's called "run". Pull it low to trigger a hard reset...

However if you use one of the I2C pins then you have an on-board pull-up and as a bonus, then the Pi is is lowish power "halted" mode, if you pull it low, it will reboot the Pi.

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

On 28/04/2015 17:14, Alan Adams wrote: []

Alan,

Could you check the URL, please? I get a 404.

--
Thanks,
David

Reply to
Andy Burns

plug-in-20w-5v/dp/PW0333

Looks useful, but it's a bit more hungry than I'd expected: burns 0.3W at no load. Assuming that's a constant overhead, its only 76% efficient with a 2.5w load, which is typical for an RPi.

--
martin@   | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

Nope: the OP seemed to be quite clear that it only failed to bring the ethernet interface up when he powered his RPi off without shutting it down.

--
martin@   | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

It looks as though something has changed.

If you go to

and search for "5v psu 4amp" you will find 4 similar products.

--
Alan Adams, from Northamptonshire
alan@adamshome.org.uk

On 29/04/2015 11:54, Alan Adams wrote: []

Thanks, Andy and Alan. Indeed, there is quiet a good choice. Nice if there was a dual USB outlet or lead version....

What I've bought are the mains plug-boards with USB, such as:

(a)

and:

(b)

I have a couple of RPi cards running off (a) with no problems. You might be able use the second USB outlet for a hard disk?

--
Cheers,
David

No. Software reboot via ssh ("sudo reboot") works fine but fails to bring up the ethernet interface after reboot. Everything works, except no network. So I could plug in a keyboard/mouse and switch on my tv and try again with sudo reboot from the local console, or I could try again by switching the power off/on (but mostly the same result). Can't try again via ssh because no network, fixed IP or not.

Alternatively, I could try & plug in a wifi stick (it might reboot the B+ anyway because of power draw surge...) or indeed connect a button like Dom wrote.

Reply to
A. Dumas

The B+ has USB current protection/limiter - it's not perfect but far less likely to reboot the Pi - especially when you use a decent PSU.

So for everyone - do yourself a favour and stop buying rubbish PSUs from the cheapest place you can find - spend a quid/dollar more and get a decent one from a reputable source. Crap PSUs are one of the biggest headaches in Pi world.

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

Looks like I misread what you wrote then.

It might be worth having a word with the RPi Org and/or raising a bug report about this flakiness. My RPI (an early 512KB B) has never shown this problem. I only ever run it headless and its never failed to bring up its ethernet port regardless of whether its booting from power-up or if I've requested a software reboot.

I thought you said your RPi is plugged into a Fritzbox 7360. The write-up for that claims its a single box solution for a home network which implies that it contains (among other bits & bobs) an ADSL router and a network switch (hub if you prefer) to which all four RJ45 plugs are connected. That means it functions as a local network that supports up to

4 hosts and that these should be able to talk to each other.

One thing I did wonder about though, does the RPi work any better if its connected to one of the 10/100 Mbit ports rather than the Gigabit ports?

"connect a button like Dom wrote" and use a program that monitors the pin and causes a software shutdown and restart sounds fine, but IMO (and Gordon may disagree) doing the same with the hardware reset line is a bit too drastic for regular use: axing the system like that without forcing a full shutdown and restart runs the risk of corrupting the disk: if it happens during a disk write or, worse, while the card is doing a wear- levelling remap you'd best hope you have an up to date backup and that the card reformats OK.

--
martin@   | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

You have to watch the dual-USB ones - all the ones I have seen have one high-current output and the other (or others) are limited to 1 amp.

If you take a single-output one you know it will deliver full current, and you can split it how you want.

--
Alan Adams, from Northamptonshire
alan@adamshome.org.uk
http://www.nckc.org.uk/
Reply to
Alan Adams

I did wonder whether it is an issue with negotiating the speed/duplex setting. If you can get on to the router and examine what the switch thinks the link is running at, and compare it with what the pi thinks, while the link is not working, you may see a cause.

If so, the options might be to fix the setting on the switch port, if that is possible, or on the pi, or both. Or try a different make of switch. Connecting a cheap 4-port switch to the router and plugging the pi into that might be the simplest cure.

--
Alan Adams, from Northamptonshire
alan@adamshome.org.uk
http://www.nckc.org.uk/
Reply to
Alan Adams

I've found VIA Epia boards to be flaky with Linux. I ran one as homelan server for many years - it would hang periodically (aprox every 6 to 8 weeks). There were many posts about the hanging problem on the Via forum, and precious little help. I _think_ there were problems with DMA.

The replacement Intel ATOM Mini ITX board has never hung in over 2 years using the same software setup (modulo kernel drivers obviously).

Reply to
Jim Jackson

..and a decent microUSB lead to go with it!

fruit

Reply to
fruit

On 29/04/15 19:04, Jim Jackson wrote: ...>

Hmmm. I'm beginning to lean away from the rpi towards a jetway 4-port

freebsd to 10.1 to get the gigabit ethernet drivers. Life's never simple :-{ (And bang goes an excuse for buying a new rpi - I have one of the originals in a box, almost unused - far, far, far too low power for anything I'd wanted to do at the time.)

--
Mike Scott (unet2  [deletethis] scottsonline.org.uk)
Harlow Essex England

Yes. I forgot to say that my LAN is a simple star topology centred on a Dlink DES-1008D which has been around for a while and so is only a

10/100Mbit switch.
--
martin@   | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK