hi everyone, tell me something about Cyclone II.

hi, i'm grant, studying computer engineering in university of ottawa i'm using altera cyclone II on up3 board with quartus II enviorment how is it? is it leading in industry? what kind of job can i get whe i'm done

guys, forgive me if i have tons of questions, coz i do care about m

career while i know nothing about it right now. :

Reply to
badgrant

Welcome to the fpga world Grant!

Your two best sources for this type of information will be:

Talk to your college tutors about local companies doing Fpga there in Ottawa, they'll be able to get you in touch with people using these devices in industry. That'll give you a feel for what it's all about.

Alan

Reply to
amyler

Welcome to the fpga world Grant!

Your two best sources for this type of information will be:

Talk to your college tutors about local companies doing Fpga there in Ottawa, they'll be able to get you in touch with people using these devices in industry. That'll give you a feel for what it's all about.

Alan

Reply to
amyler

Grant,

Just because you are learning with an Altera part doesn't mean you are forever relegated to working for, or with those parts your whole career (what a grim thought!).

Be sure to also check the Xilinx website for jobs, and to be generic on your resume (ie "worked with FPGAs to solve X problem", not "worked with Cyclone FPGA to solve X problem"). If the interviewer wants the details of which part from which manufacturer, then is the time to go into the gory details.

Sure, I'd prefer you used the Xilinx parts in your school, but once you understand FPGAs from one vendor, you are then "trained" for pretty much all FPGAs from all vendors.

Since virtually all designs today are done using FPGAs, I feel your career choice is a good one. I kept myself busy (gainfully employed) for 11 years designing with FPGAs before I came to Xilinx and became part of the team that designs the FPGAs themselves.

If you had said that you were in an ASIC engineering program, and were looking for work designing ICs, I might have advised you differently. There are very few openings for IC design today: pretty much only those who can afford it, like Xilinx, Intel, and TI.

Aust> hi, i'm grant, studying computer engineering in university of ottawa.

Reply to
Austin Lesea

Austin, I have to disagree with you about most designs being done with fpgas and there being loads of jobs in the market. I fairly recently graduated from school with a computer engineering degree. I did a lot of FPGA work while I was in school using both Xilinx and Altera platform (as for the X vs. A debate, I'm agnostic, I find Xilinx's tools to be more complete, but I find Altera's GUI to be nicer). Despite doing all of that FPGA work I did not find a single job having anything to do with FPGAs. However, I worked for an ASIC company that was not on your list and now I work for a different ASIC company. I get the impression that ASICs are still very popular despite their rising NRE costs.

All that said, I do recommend looking at all the FPGA stuff you can. Regardless of whether you go into ASICs or FPGAs in your career, FPGA development will give you a *GREAT* background. I might even go so far as to say that FPGA development will give you a better modern digital design background that most of the old-timer engineers have.

My experience has been that FPGAs teach all of the fundamentals:

  • basic logic design
  • static timing
  • hand optimization to meet timing A couple of things are skipped like:
  • electromigration
  • cross-talk
  • voltage-domain crossing

But really FPGAs offer most of what you need. The really big thing that they do that many of the "old-timers" don't get is they force you to reduce the number of clock domains you have. FPGAs have a very limited number of global clock nets. As a result you learn that it's best to not generate a clock for every single flip flop that's driven or to put HUGE amounts of logic in a clock net or to do loads of async design. This is a great thing to get used to since modern ASIC and FPGA flows do not adapt well to this.

I might also add that when you're looking at internships and first jobs that it's best not to expect to do exactly what you want. You can ask around to all of your profs to see if they have contacts, but my experience has been that it is generally not the case. My profs seemed to like to avoid FPGAs like the plague and generally thought that digital design was for the weak (or something since they did a pretty lousy job of teaching it in my opinion).

Good luck. Also, don't be afraid to apply for jobs that you're under-qualified for. A lot of companies put up requirements that are completely outlandish hoping for a miracle, but expecting much less. If a job says 5 years experience required. Go ahead. Apply for it!

-Arlen

Reply to
gallen

To get a good idea of the type of applications that Cyclone II /Cyclone devices are used in check the following link:

The use of these devices in an application is only limited by your imagination. Remember you can have your own NiosII processor running on these chips, to allow you greater flexibility and creativity. In a student competition sponsored by Altera, one of the winners implemented a biometric system running on a Cyclone chip using the UP3 board.

Happy experimentation, Subroto Datta Altera Corp.

Reply to
Subroto Datta

Gallen,

A different story that the one I have been hearing.

I am glad to hear there are still good ASIC jobs around (Xilinx has openings unfilled as well).

But, I still stand by my comment that FPGA jobs are more common that ASIC jobs: in fact perhaps as much as 1000:1 more common.

Consider yourself very fortunate to be doing ASIC design.

Aust> Austin, I have to disagree with you about most designs being done with

Reply to
austin

I suppose I should mention that consumer level products are often where the ASICs lie. In situations where there may only be 10s, 100s or

1000s of parts, FPGAs may be very common. My work currently gets manufactured in the 100s of millions and it contains a large analog block. It just simply isn't suited for FPGA.

I could see FPGAs being big in high end space (I think Cisco uses FPGAs for its backbone class routers). I could see them in government space. I could see them in prototypes (heck, our architects use them for accellerating matlab tests). I just can't see them making much inroads into high volume consumer space.

The important detail to be taken from this though is that ASICs are still very alive for very high volume work as well as high speed (multi-GHz) and analog.

Best of luck to all of those students out there hunting. There is an amazing amout of interesting work to be done. Also, pay attention in your signal processing classes. That is some really important stuff.

-Arlen

Reply to
gallen