Anyone using Pi2 to receive streaming video?

I have a buddy, that recently got a Pi2 and set it up to receive streaming video. He just got started and gave me a beta demo. It looked good, I'm going to try it as my start to cutting the cord.

He used a program called Openelec for Kodi, a media streaming server.

Any hints or other ideas you may have? Mikek

Here's an Amazon parts list.

Raspberry Pi 2 Model B Desktop (Quad Core CPU 900 MHz, 1 GB RAM, Linux)

Sold by: US EcoZone

$41.61

Flirc Raspberry Pi 2 and B+ Case Sold by: Flirc Inc. $14.95

NorthPada USA Micro USB Mains Power Wall Supply Charger 5V 2000mA / 2A For Raspberry Pi 2 Model A and B & Banana Pi - Pi Model B+ (B Plus), Android Ta

Sold by: Amboc

$7.99

PNY Turbo Performance 16GB High Speed MicroSDHC Class 10 UHS-I, U1 up to

90MB/sec Flash Card (P-SDU16GU190G-GE) Sold by: Amazon.com LLC $8.99

AmazonBasics High-Speed HDMI Cable - 6.5 Feet (2 Meters) Supports Ethernet, 3D, 4K and Audio Return

Sold by: Amazon.com LLC

$5.49

Reply to
amdx

On Sun, 20 Sep 2015 07:42:24 -0500, amdx Gave us:

I use a cubox-i4Pro. Costs more, but is a way better system IMV.

Made by some guys in Israel. Runs Linux, Android, Kodi, XBMC, Geexbox, etc.

DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Yep. I have a Raspberry Pi 2 model B. I bought one on eBay with the clear plastic box, 8 GB flash card, 5v 2A PS, and HDMI cable. I bought it for a customer who wanted to try it. I installed XBMC/KODI using OSMC instead of Openelec: Configuring Kodi was a bit of a mess, but was eventually decoded. The big problem was that Kodi needs to download a mess of "updates" from the internet, yet there's little indication that it's happening on the screen. I eventually got all the settings, add-ons, repositories, plug-ins, and media sources going (after starting over about 4 times). It also took some effort to get Netflix and Hulu to play.

Then, the problems began. With only 1GB of RAM on the Pi2B, things go kinda slow. Click something on the screen and it can take several seconds for Kodi to respond. The lack of gigabit ethernet is a problem because it slows down searching and indexing on local drives. Video quality was quite good, but if Kodi decided to do something else in the background, the picture would pixelate briefly. In short, it works, but is irritatingly slow to use.

The final decision was made by the customers wife, who declared it unusable. I took the Pi2B back with plans to use it as an IRLP controller:

Meanwhile, it was decided that the Pi2B was underpowered and to throw some money at the problem. I have a few Asus Veriton thin clients, which seems ideal. Celeron CPU, 8 GB RAM, SSD, 2xUSB3.0, 4xUSB2.0, HDMI video. About $200 to $300 on eBay. I threw one of these together for the customer. His wife approves of the design and size, which is half the battle. I haven't heard back about usability and performance yet.

Hint: Be sure to install and use the settings backup add-on or you'll be doing the setup ordeal from scratch if something goes wrong: From the Add-on manager in Kodi go thee unto: - Click on Settings - Click Add-ons - Click on Install from repository - Click on the Kodi add-on repository - Click on Program Add-ons - Click on Backup - Click on Install - Wait for the install to run and finish. Give it time. Once installed, run it manually. Then set up a location by typing in a file path to where the backup will be saved. Also, try scheduling for auto backup.

Good luck, and welcome to the dark side.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Unless that includes the SD card RRP is $35, try Newark or Allied.

you might get a better deal buying one of the kits.

--
  \_(?)_
Reply to