SDT 386+

Will Orcad SDT 3.22 or SDT 386 + run on a K5 computer if I can get a 5.25 floppy drive to function so that I could load the SDT3.21? Will I have to install some version of DOS to do this? I have versions of DOS that start at 3.3. or maybe earlier

Reply to
James F. Mayer

Watch for response from Mark/qrk. He's an expert on using SDT and knows where modern display drivers can be found.

...Jim Thompson

     It\'s what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.

I think it will run under DOS6 (with Win98). Got a licensed copy around somewhere with all the original manuals.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

SDT 386+ will run umder windows 98, as long as it is in DOS mode. It has some trouble with display drivers, most people use the VESA 800, or VESA 1024 drivers. Both are a bit buggy, and show strange artifacts, but you can get the job done.

The install process won't work properly under any DOS version later than DOS 6.2. The version included with windows 98 has a faulty batch processor that doesn't correctly evaluate the extensive batch scripts that orcad uses for installation. Your best bet is to install under an old version of DOS, and do a copy to your new machine.

That you have a K5 is of no consequence.

-Chuck Harris

James F. Mayer wrote:

Reply to
Chuck Harris

The DOS that comes with 95/98/ME is DOS 7.

Remember how DOS 6 got up to 6.22 after M$ was found yet again doing something illegal? (stealing Stacker's compression technology)

Reply to
JeffM

Okay, I must be thinking of Win3.1, then?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Hi,

Both SDT and PCB work OK on a machine using an Athlon XP

2200MHz processor in the 'COMMAND' mode under Windows XP Home SP2 although printing and plotting from it haven't been tried.

Cheers - Joe

Reply to
Joe McElvenney

I run SDT on a 64 bit Linux machine using "dos box". It works ok. You have to be careful to look for the real mouse pointer. Dos programs don't believe in the idea that the mouse pointer can be outside the screen they know about.

I also know that it runs under windows XP but is very slow. On earlier versions of windows, the SDT was forced into a full screen mode and given direct access to the graphics hardware. In XP all graphics operations are trapped and emulated. I think this is what slows it down. IIRC, you have to make the box it runs in "win98 compatible". It is clunky but can be used.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

In article , Joe McElvenney wrote: [....]

I printed OK.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

SDT will run under modern processors. I'm using an AMD Opteron with SDT386+ running Win2k. I've seen it work on XP. If you use Win2k or XP, you need to run it under full-screen command line. Depending on something to do with the BIOS, and perhaps the video card, you may be forced into using a real DOS environment. SDT works fine under DOS6.x and DOS7.x.

A nice way to go is use SDT under VirtualPC, something Microsoft took over. VirtualPC allows you to run some other operating system, like DOS, in a window. This allows you to run SDT under Win2k or XP in a window and have other programs like Acrobat accessible.

As to video drivers, there has been recent work done on modernizing the video drivers so you can use VESA mode, resolutions spanning from

640x480 up to 1600x1200. Check out the files section of
for the modernized VESA video drivers and other drivers. Be sure your video board can handle VESA graphics. Vesatest.exe and vbetest.exe are good programs for checking out VESA compatibility.
--
Mark
Reply to

Thanks for the info.

Reply to
James F. Mayer

Hello James,

My 3.22 handbook says it needs DOS 2.0 or later. I ran it for years under DOS 3.3. Never had a crash. Not one.

It would be a good idea to create 3-1/2" working copy disks. Or CD. There will come a time when 5-1/4" drives are very hard to find.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

A year ago I wrote all my 5-1/4" stuff off onto CD's, fearing that day when the 5-1/4"drive wouldn't spin up ;-)

...Jim Thompson

     It\'s what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.

Hello Jim,

I went through that process but in 'low-tech' mode 15 years ago, making

3-1/2" working copies. But it's good policy to keep an additional spare 5-1/4" drive in the closet. You never know. Once at a client we had to dig out really old field simulations. Luckily they weren't on a 8" floppy as they initially thought but 5-1/4". Whew. And they had a DOS machine. We just had to rummage a bit to find it.

You can always send it off for copy but that can cost a couple days.

I find the 'modern' storage media less than adequate. Writing CD-RW as random drives doesn't always work, writing onto a CD-R takes forever and recently a USB stick that I thought was the silver bullet caused the PC to do a hard freeze, several times.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

SDT 3.22 certainly runs just fine under DOS 5.0

The cpu is a 'don't care' issue.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

W3.1 didn't come with a DOS . You had to buy both. Typically it would have been

6.22 but I had no trouble running W3.1 with DOS 5.0

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Assuming that you are not using it any longer could i interest you in transferring the license? With any use being on the order of a year or so apart, and serious (commercial) use being off the list (i would rather make serious effort to get GEDA and friends running).

--
JosephKK
Gegen dummheit kampfen Die Gotter Selbst, vergebens.