OT: Propane prices

I have two full cases of motor oil in the garage that I paid about $.80 a bottle a couple years ago. It should last me a few more years. :)

Michael A. Terrell

Too much Ethanol?

Michael A. Terrell

There was an early Circuit Cellar project for a microprocessor controlled water heater for a wood stove.

Michael A. Terrell

improving-efficiencies/

I got my 60% number from here:

page 1 and 2.

--
Joe Chisolm
Reply to

Thats interesting. You -more or less- pay for the amount of energy the gas can produce?

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

e:

ly =3D

oi=3D

che=3D

ways

ane b=3D

ed text -

More or less, assuming we trust SDG&E's numbers.

Reply to
Richard Henry

That's not so bad, compared to the $10 / quart Lexus transmission oil.

Those days are long gone. Looking back, we should have stocked up on oil and everything else. Alternatively, we can start distilling oil ourselves by burning dollar bills.

Reply to
linnix

e:

ly =3D

oi=3D

che=3D

ways

ane b=3D

ed text -

The gas meter line from my latest bill:

06/14/11 - 07/14/11 30 [days] 985 966 19 [meter readings] 1.000 [meter calibration] 1.006 [Therm multiplier] 19 [billed Therms]

That current multiplier is the lowest in the last year. The highest was 1.024.

Reply to
Richard Henry

Rendering fat lawyers has a better yeild. ;-)

Michael A. Terrell

There's nothing weird about that. If you grow your own food, eating it "costs" you whatever you could have sold it for.

Reply to
Nobody

The rest of that sentence referred to transmission efficiency, not generation.

John

But you were asking for transmission efficiency, for each kWh already generated at the plant. If that were 60% we would not have winters amnymore :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

cheap but

clock

Our stove is basically a cook-top only unit right now.

After the second time I needed to reapair the oven, I gave up on it. The unit has this big, noisy fan that comes out the top. I thought maybe I had a convection over - it was a Whirlpool Gold unit. Then, it started being so noisy I couldn't talk over it, and called out the repairman. Found out its single purpose was to keep the electronic controls on the front of the stove cool! Since it was malfunctioning almost from the day we moved in, I suspect that those electronics were all fried. First, the microcontroller board went out, and we replaced it. Now, the oven won't light (electronic ignition!) Suspect that now the high voltage board has major problems. Since it would cost over $200 to fix it, I just went out and bought a table-top rotisserie/convection oven. It is even big enough for a small turkey, so we don't really miss the big oven anymore!

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.

cheap but

clock

sort

Many automotive and appliance manufacturers can't design reliable electronics. I don't want any of that high falutin stuff. Meantime we can cook almost anything in a charcoal Weber barbie. Pizza, bread, turkey up to around 15lbs (more than enough for us), sauces, meat, veggies, potatoes, and so on. A friend of ours has lots of adult children and grand-children. So one of her sons made a 4" or 6" extension ring for the Weber and now they can even cook a very large turkey in there.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

We have a water filter system out in the garage that consists of two-10 gallon tanks or so (Eclipse...) In the summer, when the garage is like 110 degrees, it basically acts as a pre-heater for the whole house. This time of year, I dont use much hot water for showers...

And don't ever take cold ones!

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.

I've known people who had wood (some multi-fuel) boilers; both the inside and outside variety. I can't be bothered with the wood. I bought a cord every five or so years and now have propane.

Reply to
krw

Sorry, we now have a propane fireplace and use a heat pump for heat, and electricity for hot water.

Reply to
krw

price

about

:)

It will be few more years before that hits break even.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

price

synthetic

about

years. :)

I would caution against using politicians, too volatile and incendiary.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

I posted this because of the questions about the plant efficency. As you said, my question was transmission efficency. I would have thought with sub-stations and pole transformers,etc the losses would have been higher. Thanks for the info.

--
Joe Chisolm
Reply to