transistor summer

Has anyone actually implemented a bjt or mosfet summer and compared its effectiveness to an op amp version? Any pitfalls to be aware of?

Reply to
Jenkins

There must be 50 ways to do this. (Make a little plan, Stan, no need to be coy, Roy....)

I'm assuming you're talking about a low-level or line-level audio application, right? In that case you care a lot about linearity and not as much about isolation between channels, i.e. it isn't a big problem if a little bit of the other channels's signals come back out the input. (The idea of 'input' and 'output' terminals is a convenient approximation--strictly speaking you can't completely prevent some stuff coming back out of the inputs.)

Generally if you have an active device per channel, it will improve the between-channel isolation. If it's a simple BJT or MOSFET stage, it'll probably hurt the linearity.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

A summing junction with an op amp can be relied on to be at or near pseudo-ground; with a lower voltage gain item, like a transistor or MOSFET with simple biasing, there's just a bit more voltage swing at the summing junction.

It's all easily modeled, no need for experimentation if you know your gain element's parameters.

A transistor can't swing output far below the base voltage, of course, THAT can matter.

Reply to
whit3rd

For summing AC signals, common-base isn't bad. The summing node impedance can be a few ohms, wideband, and the input resistors can be many K.

The voltage at the summing point of an opamp isn't zero, either.

John

True, but it's a bit more symmetrical than the common base approach, so there isn't so much second harmonic distortion.

I have a design in layout right now that uses NPN and PNP capacitance multipliers wired in parallel, to get rid of the ripple on a bipolar thermoelectric cooler supply. That's one way of reducing the second harmonic!

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Don't you have crossover disto. & switch noise problems that way? Or is that then out of band?

-- Les Cargill

Reply to
Les Cargill

How BIG is it John ?:-) ...Jim Thompson

[On the Road, in New York]

It's controlling a thermoelectric cooler, so it doesn't switch between positive and negative very often!

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Why the hell would you want to?

Reply to
HardySpicer

What, have you un-killfiled me?

You can't even do that right.

John

It's imaginary.

John

If you're talking about a single stage summer, the main differences are, of the bjt versus the opamp:

  • less isolation between inputs
  • less open loop gain
  • more distortion
  • less PSRR

Moving to a fet gets you high input impedance, but all the above issues still apply. In practice one can make linearity good enough with low level audio signals by using a source degenerating R to give bias and local nfb.

NT

Reply to
NT