OT: Propane prices

From our utility, PG&E.

It's less. But a kWh is $0.15 and a gallon or propane ist rapidly approaching $3/gallon. The crossover point has just about been reached.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Direct gas generators are 50% to 60%, including my 60A unit. And I am using less than half of the capacity of the generator. Even so, i pay around $20 of gas to reduce $80 of electricity. Don't forget that they already have a mark-up on my natural gas.

Are you using the waste heat to heat the house? If not, your numbers dont sound right.

Reply to
tm

It was $2.75/gallon, here, a month or so back. I can't buy gasoline for anywhere near $2.75 a gallon (it's back up to $3.59), though. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Joerg already heats with wood.

Reply to
krw

That's alright. My water heater is outside. ;-)

Reply to
krw

If you're looking at cost, it doesn't matter where it comes from. The generation (in)efficiency is already built into the price.

Reply to
krw

And with Jose Cuervo from the inside :-)

Just kidding ...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I think Mrs. Joerg would kill you instantly.

Reply to
krw

In the '90s oil was a buck-and-a-little a gallon.

Reply to
krw

If the electricity goes out and I have propane, I can still bathe in comfort by heating the water on a range. You need to think deeply about this. If you can do the same with wood, you've got it made.

Reply to
John S

Poor baby ;-) ...Jim Thompson

[On the Road, in New York]

Correct. Many years ago a governor screwed up and our power went off a lot (Arnold fixed that). So one night .. click .. beeeep .. gone. Some cussing was heard from the kitchen. She was preparing a real gourmet meal. So I fired up the barbecue and did the cooking part, with her instructions. Including Whiskey-peppercorn sauce, steamed vegetables, other little pots and pans, the works. We had a nice dinner. As usual I shut off the Weber's vents to save the coals for next time. Mistake. Big mistake. After dinner my wife wanted the usual espresso. Not happy about the Weber that was now cold. Not happy at all. Frantic pondering hammered the engineering part of my brains. Dashed to the garage, found a fondue sterno, snipped some wire out of leftover chain link fencing (that my wife always wanted to throw out ...), bent a cooking stand, ten minutes later the pot was gurgling and that espesso smell wafted through the kitchen.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Oh, if it absolutely had to be I'd cook it outside on the Weber. Our wood stove is an insert, it can't take a large kettle on top. But we also have a cooking alcove where we can do charcoal barbecueing indoors.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

You should complain. Gasoline is about $US6.00 here in Sydney OZ today fo a US gallon.

--
John G
Reply to

"John Larkin" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Propane is a byproduct of refining gasoline. I was amazed at the price of a quart of oil, $4.60 at Walmart. For $2 more I can get synthetic Mobile 1. I remember Castrol for under a buck a quart, those days are gone.

Martin Riddle

For me it has little to do with cost. I am retired, not long to live, and *my* comfort is the #1 priority.

To each his own.

Reply to
John S

Lately Walmart has IME not always had best pricing. You've got to price it out. Don't know this place, was just the first web hit that has the kind of oil I use:

No-name brands are sometimes much less and often come from the same production facility as name brands.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Our power still goes out a lot; almost daily, lately (electricity is cheap but hardly reliable). It's a RPITA with every frappin' appliance having a clock (and a power-out alarm on the 'fridge). Well, it's cheap, even if it is third-world reliable.

Reply to
krw

Certainly. A week ago it was $.35 cheaper. A year ago it was $1 cheaper. Two, $2. Thanks, Obummer.

Blame your government.

Reply to
krw

Got to buy simple gear in those areas. There are only two items in our house that have non backed up clocks. The microwave and the VCR (beats my why that industry just can't figure it out). The rest is all plain and simple but good quality. I design electronics for a living but I do not like electronics in appliances and cars. Because I didn't design it and they break a lot.