Just got one 5 min ago

An Indian just called me from Mendosa computing (not sure of the name cause I could not understand the accent) but apparently they recon I have something wrong with my computer,So I went looking for my cellphone to use as a recording device but they hung up.I will have to rig up something permanent to record the scammers. I am on the DNC register but I still get more annoying calls than real ones.

Reply to
F Murtz

Ask them which one of your linux machines is at fault

--
Reply to
atec77

Re this problem ,any one know , does telstra keep records and times of incoming calls to my house and the originator? is there some way to get their cooperation in stopping the offender?

Reply to
F Murtz

The offender is almost certainly in India, and is likely calling you via Skype. So there is little to nothing the Telstra can do to protect you.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

It came in on the telephone handset so telstra so telstra must know at least where the land line bit came from

Reply to
F Murtz

They have some control over the landing point locally for the skype call but don't hold your breath

--
Reply to
atec77

Used to be you had to ask for a 'recorder' be placed on your line to see where nuisance calls come from. These days with multiple suppliers? Dunno.

DNC wont (can't) stop them as calls hit-run from overseas call centres, just hang up. Or swear at the caller if that helps you let of steam ;)

In the real world the closest anybody gets to reporting a bad machine is to the upstream ISP, that's all they can tell from your IP address.

Grant.

Reply to
Grant

"F Murtz"

** Got news for you - f****it.

The DNC register has no effect on telemarketing calls that originate outside Australia - unless an Australian based business caused them to be made.

Just like any other country - our laws are limited in their effect to what Australia can control.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

I know that the register does not stop it,Does not stop me whinging about it

Reply to
F Murtz

Awww, c'mon. String the PC virus ones along for a while. I had one on the phone for 20 minutes or so. Each time he asked me to click on something I'd pretend I had and tell him that it was giving me an error message. He got really frustrated in the end. Now that's funny.

Reply to
Swanny

If you give them control of your PC (don't try this at home), they eventually make it invoke a payment page, for you to enter your details into. After I got a few such calls, I set up some sofware so that I could make their attempts to invoke the payment page go to the wrong place, which would no doubt confuse them considerably. Sadly, the one subsequent call I got from them occurred at a time when I had to go out, and couldn't play.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Had one too, about 10 min ago. A real call came on the mobile though, so I had to leave him.

Reply to
kreed