Saturday Delivery

I concede that cutting 17% of mail delivery days, will not save 17% of Post Office expenses.

So, for you: What percentage savings of total P.O. expenses is it worth to lose Saturday delivery?

Reply to
amdx

If they throw the junk mail away, they only need to deliver once a week :-)

Reply to
John S

The P.O. could cease to exist and I wouldn't be bothered.

ALL of my bills are now by E-mail, and my magazines are downloads.

The P.O. only provides advertising junk.

And package delivery... you aren't paying attention. FedEx does most of the P.O. shipping... to and from P.O.'s. Your local P.O. only does the "last mile". ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Cut back as much as it takes to make the post office pay its own way. And eliminate the monopoly on mailbox deliveries too.

 Click to see the full signature

You couldn't be more wrong.

FedEx delivers FedEx packages point to point.

FedEx moves exactly ZERO packages which get handled by the USPS, and vice versa.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

ALWAYS WRONG!

 Click to see the full signature

I am paying attention, UPS is involved in USPS shipping also. I'm for getting rid of the P.O., let those who desire to live in the boonies pay the cost of their delivery. There are few things I pay by US mail anymore and I could get around those if needed. Mikeki

Reply to
amdx

Hello Always-wrong. You are again wrong. What a perfect record.

Reply to
tm

Wrong. All of my smaller Fedex packages delivered by the USPS. By utilizing the U.S. Postal Service® (USPS) for final delivery, FedEx SmartPost reaches every U.S. address, including P.O. boxes and military APO, FPO and DPO destinations.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

That's FedEx Express, a different arm of the company.

They facilitate net day and second day delivery. All regular ground and air postal packages are still all USPS.

So USPS sometimes uses FedEx Express. FedEx, however, never uses the postal service.

Or maybe that too, out in the boondocks (last twenty miles), but never in a metropolis.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

So, not needed in a metro area.

And the mail truck gets through the APO gate easier than the fedEx truck, but you can bet there is still a truck full, and likely no savings realized at all.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Junk mail costs about $0.142 cents for the first oz. First class is currently $0.46 for the same thing. Depending on which source you believe, junk mail is anywhere between 50% to 80% of the USPS volume. In effect, junk mail is being subsidized by first class mail. Were the USPS to raise the rates for junk mail, I'm sure the volume would decrease to reasonable levels with little change in revenue (or losses).

The real problem is that most everything is going via email or the internet and not through the USPS. The result is that maintaining mail volume is what the USPS seeks as the solution to the problem (in addition to a reduction in services). Instead of raising the junk mail rates, it's more likely to encourage more junk mail by lowering the rates.

Note: If you don't want junk mail, you can theoretically unsubscribe to *ALL* junk mail for $5.00: I have no clue if it works, or about any unexpected side effects.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Oops. That link is to a service that charges $5 to do what can be obtained for free. Here's the correct links: Sorry(tm).

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Weasel!

You are better and more convenient than Wikipedia. Whenever you make a statement of fact, it's at least 99% sure to be wrong.

 Click to see the full signature

I am guessing that the "savings" is a LOT less that 17%..maybe (crude guess) 5%.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Raise the rate enough that junk mail actually pays it's way. Then I won't get 20 pieces of junk mail from Geico every month that has no way to inform them that I don't deal with rubber lizards.

enough left over to pay them.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

The Post Office delivers packages to every address in the USA. They are pre-funding pensions at billions a year because the Republicans are trying to kill it. They'd break even otherwise.

Reply to
dave

Nonsense.

"Otherwise" the government (aka us taxpayers) would have to make up the pension costs. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

e 17%

lose

k :-)

 Then I
           Mikek

you can only drive ONE car at a time, so why are paying three rates? ...after that comment, duck and cover!

Reply to
Robert Macy

%

:-)

ah, yes, pensions, the "employees take less pay today, for the promise of continuing pay throughout their existance" and the "companies then say, sorry, we made a bad deal, because we 'forgot' to set aside money for the future, simply can't afford paying you now what was promised

30 years ago, so we're going to have the govt change the rules so we don't have to pay" ploy.
Reply to
Robert Macy