Antenna for cordless phone

Hi,

Sometimes (rarely), on my "evening sabbatical", I carry a cordless phone (NOT a cell phone) with me. This has sufficient range to cover almost the entire "development" (e.g., I can get about half a mile, as the crow flies).

*But*, there is one section (0.52 miles? :> ) where I lose reception.

I've toyed with the idea of adding an external antenna to the base unit (which currently just sits on a countertop) to try to improve on that.

I rescued a "dual band" antenna kit (AllTel) for a cell phone. But, I suspect these operate on a different frequency than my "cordless" (902-928MHz)? (sorry, I know *nothing* about cell phones -- thankfully! :> )

Reply to
D Yuniskis

In the tests we did on a farm - we found the the problem was lack of "line of sight" between the base and handset antenna.

If you duck behind the metal shed or building was the problem.

Joe

Reply to
Joe G (Home)

This is an "industrial cordless" -- intended for long range, etc (600mW Tx). I can get ~0.5 mi *obstructed* connections but getting much further than that (an extra block or two) is the problem. I am hoping that getting an antenna "outside" -- or at least "off the kitchen counter" -- will give me that little bit extra that is needed.

Reply to
D Yuniskis

You may try an experiment with a long piece of wire rapped a few turns around the base antenna and get the rest of the wire outside.

Joe

Reply to
Joe G (Home)

That's just dandy if you're working with AM or shortwave. Won't do you a blind bit of good when you've got a wavelength of onl a few inches.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

I don't think that's likely to produce any results (at 900MHz). I'd imagine just connecting the "dual band" antenna (for the *cell* phone) would give better results than that! :<

Reply to
D Yuniskis

Contrary to the popular believe antennae do not increase the transmitting power. They change the transmitting power from some directions into other directions. You probably are not interested in sending signal to the moon so rather then wasting that signal change it to the horizontal plane. First you must you must establish the horizontal area that you want to cover and if your transmitter is at the end of the terrain you may design a small Yagi like the type used to receive TV. You can design an antenna that will give you a pattern like a fig. of an heart, a figure of eight or a very directional antenna. The directionality will depend on the number of elements. Ideally you build 2 antennae of the same type and use one for one unit and the other for the other unit. Coupling to the base unit is another problem. Not easy. Describe, please the area you want to cover if you want to make a project out of it. I can help.

John

Reply to
John

Correct. I'm not expecting to "boost" the Tx power. But, rather, get it someplace from which it is easier for me (at the remote end) to pick it up (likewise, for the base to pick up my *remote* signal!)

No. Antenna will be located in almost the exact center of the area to be covered. I.e., "walking around the neighborhood" (my "walk" is just about 2 miles total -- the furthest point being about 0.55 mi from the "base").

The "remote" is a handheld device. Impractical to change the antenna on it.

The neighborhood is roughly:

(view in fixed width font)

+-----+ | | | | | | | | | | | | | +------------+ | | | X | | | +------------------+

This is *roughly* to scale. The "base" is located at X. The area is residential in nature so there are houses filling the region. The top of the illustration is at a higher elevation than the bottom -- maybe 60 ft?

There are no commercial establishments in the area. Most of the construction is masonary. No dense foliage.

The problem area (reception) is at the upper left (and the bottom right) -- no doubt as there are the most "obstructions" along the sight line.

I'll drag out a GPS and get some actual measurements, if necessary. I've not done an exhaustive survey of where things work/don't work. Though I have found the upper left corner to be a problem area as I am often passing through there when I lose signal.

The antenna that I was *questioning* will (physically) mate to a Linksys wireless router (though not intended to do so, "just coincidence" -- sorry, I don't deal with RF stuff so i can't tell you what sort of connectors they are -- I don't think they will mate with the base unit on the phone :

Reply to
D Yuniskis

Don,

Move the base unit to as high a position as possible, maybe into your attic if you have one.

Tom

Reply to
tm

No attics here. :-/ I was hoping to run *an* antenna (on a length of coax) from the base up to a "high(er) spot". Nervous about the roof due to lightning, etc.

Reply to
D Yuniskis

Maybe you could put the base unit in a weather proof container on the roof? At least as a test.

The mere fact of getting the antenna outside should be a help. You need to watch running coax as it will have a loss at 900 MHz. Use as large a cable as you can find connectors for and keep the run short, say 10 feet or so.

The antenna you linked to will have some gain and that will help.

Tom

Reply to
tm

Don Since you are interested on increasing the signal at 2 areas that are at opposite sides but not in line, a directional antenna is not a solution. The best is probably a vertical whip like the one you show, designed to operating at your frequency. The standard impedance of an antennae designed to be connected to a cable have usually an operating impedance of 50 Ohms at that frequency. This is important because the impedance changes with the frequency and for optimum power transfer the antenna, the cable and the output stage of your transmitter must be of similar impedance at that operating frequency. The cable usually sold for TV is 75 Ohms and you want 50 Ohms if the antenna was design for that impedance at your operating frequency.

One of the bands used on Cell phones is on the 900 MH band make sure the one you get is for that band and not for the 1800 band.

Propagation of UHF and higher frequencies usually required line of site but are easly reflected by the obstacles they can't penetrate. Installing the antenna outside as high as possible is essential for a reliable link. The solution to your problem adopted by a communication company, would be what I have suggested and if that would' work they would install repeaters.

Regards

John

Reply to
John

Here in the US, it's "antenna" and "antennas". You'll find antennae on bugs and cockroaches. :)

Sorry, that's just a pet peeve. Telecom attorneys make the same mistake all the time!

Also, if in the US, FCC rules prohibit you from monkeying around with the antennas. Legally speaking, if in the US, you'll just have to live with it, or select an alternate technology / device.

-mpm

Reply to
mpm

If you are in the US or Canada, flip the base unit over. You should see a tag with the FCC ID number on it. What is that number?

Reply to
mpm

In California its "antena" and "antenas". Para mejorar la recepcion :-)

--
SCNR, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

This almost screams for two directional antennas at the base, yagi or helix. One pointing to the right and the other to the upper left corner. Combined with a splitter (with proper matching in there, of course). If the base has a diplexer you might get away with connecting one to each terminal.

Not sure if this is legit though. For a cordless phone setup it probably is not.

Cordless phone on a Linksys router?

Better to have two directional ones (if legal).

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Keep in mind that you're likely to lose more power in the cable than any advantage you gain.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

Remember that you are transmitting/receiving to and from an area not to 2 fixed locations.

The polarization must be vertical, the same as the mobile unit.

If that was my job I would build a dipole with 2 directors, one in each side and , place the receiver/transmitter as close as possible to the antenna but this should be optimized by using test equipment to do the proper matching or at list measure the impedance of the assembly and/or the VSWR. Too elaborate, let's be practical

Just try the vertical whip installed as elevated as possible outside the house and with the main unit as close as possible to the antenna

John

Reply to
John

Cordless phones aren't strictly vertical anymore, most don't even have as much as a stub for an antenna. Just traces on the board or some wire. When I took apart our previous ones after they were failing I was amazed, they had two antennas diplexed in the handsets.

I think Don doesn't want an antenna on the roof so a yagi or something else directional may be his only option in order to get another 5-10dB. But I believe that the base will lose its FCC registration if you do that.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

n.

of "line

How much attenuation do you think the building is providing?

10dB? 12dB? more?

Putting the base on the roof should improve the range, though that is not practical. If you do try to hack in your own DIY antenna, this would violate FCC Rules. (not that people don't do it all the time!) But if it ever ends up causing interference, you could be subject to fines. Plus, you don't really want to interfere in the first place. And, it wouldn't even be easy to do. You would probably have to add amplifiers and filters to get it to work. Messy, expensive, etc...

Also, it sounds like you're not sure if signal strength is even the problem (though I agree it sounds like it is). It "could be" localized interference at the two points in question. That's just a guess, BTW. More likely, you've just run out of talk range.

That said, you don't which end you've run out on (talk-out from base, or talk-in from handset). At 900 MHz, you might be able to try some aluminum foil around the handset antenna to act like a corner reflector back to the base. You might even be able to cobble something up that does not require you to modify the handset.(?) I wouldn't expect too much performance improvement, (maybe a few dB), but that might be enough if the winds blow just right... :)

Good luck!

-mpm

Reply to
mpm