Cordless Phone Battery Question

The NiMH should work in the handset, but disable the base-unit charger or replace it with a smart NiMH charger, or get two sets and swap them out into a stand-alone charger. And still disable or rip out the base-unit charger.

I wouldn't try to charge a 1300mAH NiMH with a 600mAH NiCD charger.

Sorry, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Hi All!

Seasons Greetings ...

I have a quick question regarding my 900MHz Uniden Cordless phone. The handset is using a 3 cell Nickel Cadmium 3.6V 600 mAh battery pack which essentially dead now. I found a replacement at a local retail store however I was also looking at a comparable Nickel Metal Hydride 3 cell pack boasting 1300mAh of capacity. ... and at the same time won't suffer from "memory" loss.

Now the question:

Without having more technical data on the cordless handset and its current requirements (i.e. current slew rates, etc), should I be able to use a NiMH pack in this phone with the same basic characteristics (ie 3.6V and at least

600mAh)? Are there any other considerations, like the charging circuit, etc that I need to address? The charging circuit would be designed to charge a NiCd pack. Are these charging circuits generic enough to charge a NiMH pack safely?

Thanks in advance!

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Unless you know that the charger was designed to charge both NiCd and NiMH batteries it is NOT a good idea to replace one with the other. Unlikely that the phone charger would have been designed for both.

Dan

-- Dan Hollands

1120 S Creek Dr Webster NY 14580
Reply to