Soaked cordless phone

I have a DECT cordless phone which was dropped into clean water while switched on. After drying out, the phone seems to behave normally but the LCD display remains blank. The handset I a Panasonic KXA118EM, as supplied with the kx-tcd735em system.

Is there any chance that this might be a simple repair such as a connector needing reseating or similar? I've repaired oldish oscilloscopes and other stuff, but don't want to get into surface mount soldering.

Best wishes,

--
Michael Salem
Reply to

There's probably still some water in the LCD display. It can take a LONG time for it to all evaporate. Andy Cuffe

snipped-for-privacy@psu.edu

Reply to
Andy Cuffe

It can sit under surface mount IC's for a long time too, a can of compressed air can help.

Reply to
James Sweet

I asked:

Thanks to James Sweet and Andy Cuffe for their responses:

It was two weeks ago, but I'll open it and leave it in a warm place, which should evaporate the water quicker.

Best wishes,

--
Michael Salem
Reply to

I fear that that is 2 weeks too late. Water ingress into powered up electronics is usually fatal, even if the water can be removed very quickly after the event. The fact that it has been wet for 2 weeks may have allowed corrosion to occur which could permanently damage any number of components. The only solution for water ingress is to completely strip the unit immediately after the event and dry for several hours in direct sunlight or blow dry the items for several minutes with hot air such as from a hot air gun.

Having said that it may be that the zebra connectors

which have a flat edge directly in contact with the LCD display, will have trapped moisture which is shorting out the display elements. If you are lucky you may be able to rescue the phone if you can remove the display and dry everything off. This requires disassembly.

Reply to
Ross Herbert