Rear Projection/Screen Burn

080908090301050709050106 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

I have a Hitachi 51G500A which is 22 months old. It appears I have done some screen damage by "overpausing" with my DVR. Is there anything that can be done to refresh this screen (even with out of pocket costs) or is it a "done" deal....Thanks in advance (Pls post & Email) Jon H.

Reply to
Jon H.

Three picture tubes, approximately $300 each, plus the labor to install them and realign everything up. Shouldn't cost more than say $1200 total to get rid of the phosphor burns.

Reply to
dkuhajda

Outside of replacing the CRTs, not much can be done.

You can try the following, which will work to one extent or another as long as the negative/reversed image is _exactly_ inverse of the burned-in image:

  1. Record a still image of the DVR pause screen with a completely black background.
  2. Upload the image to a computer and create an exact negative of it (e.g. using Irfanview, Photoshop etc).
  3. Record the negative still image back to DVD or tape.
  4. Display it on the TV continuously until the tube burns disappear. It might take hours, days or even weeks depending on how burned the tubes are, and the color/size of the image.
Reply to
Rick S.

This is not reversible. You will have to have the tubes changed. This will be too expensive in relation to the cost of a new set. I have seen this before with video games used on TV sets, or when the users leave the PIP on all the time. Projection sets are very prone to this type of problem.

My suggestion would be to invest in a good LCD screen. You can leave an image on it for a very long time, it would be nearly impossible to burn in.

My preference is front view displays over the rear screen projection. The difference you see is very great.

--

JANA
_____

"Jon H."  wrote in message
I have a Hitachi 51G500A which is 22 months old. It appears I have done some
screen damage by "overpausing" with my DVR. Is there anything that can be
done to refresh this screen (even with out of pocket costs) or is it a
"done" deal....Thanks in advance (Pls post & Email) Jon H.
Reply to
JANA

You can have all three CRTs replaced, that's the only way to correct burn. Cost is about $300 each for rebuilt tubes, plus the installation labor and a full alignment. Generally a set with screen burn is considered totaled.

Reply to
James Sweet

What you are saying, in theory sounds like it will work. But, in practice, it will not, because it will be impossible to have the exact matched positioning, and characteristics. There will always be signs of burns.

There are many professional facilities that would like to have the solution to screen burn problems. They would have saved a lot of costs if it was something that can be reliably reversed.

--

JANA _____

Outside of replacing the CRTs, not much can be done.

You can try the following, which will work to one extent or another as long as the negative/reversed image is _exactly_ inverse of the burned-in image:

  1. Record a still image of the DVR pause screen with a completely black background.
  2. Upload the image to a computer and create an exact negative of it (e.g. using Irfanview, Photoshop etc).
  3. Record the negative still image back to DVD or tape.
  4. Display it on the TV continuously until the tube burns disappear. It might take hours, days or even weeks depending on how burned the tubes are, and the color/size of the image.
Reply to
JANA

I have also see a number of Plasma sets that are burned in from computer games and etc. When burned, the set is considered scrap, because the cost of replacing the display can exceed the cost of a new set.

--

JANA _____

You can have all three CRTs replaced, that's the only way to correct burn. Cost is about $300 each for rebuilt tubes, plus the installation labor and a full alignment. Generally a set with screen burn is considered totaled.

Reply to
JANA

We have a nice Fujitsu at work with some burn on it, at least it's fairly light. Plasma panels definitely are not repairable if they get burn. A really high end rear projection set can be worth fixing so long as it's value warrants the cost of new tubes, or you may get lucky and find a set of good tubes from a lightning or flood damaged set.

Reply to
James Sweet

CRT ones may well be. ;-)

--
*Speak softly and carry a cellular phone *

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'm amazed at what people will pay for a badly burned plasma. I've noticed several go for close to $1000 on ebay even though new low end plasmas are less than twice the cost. Andy Cuffe

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

Reply to
Andy Cuffe

Reply to
Mike Berger

While I wouldn't expect it to accomplish much, if the CRTs have serious burn then their useful life is already over anyway.

Reply to
James Sweet