Hitachi 51F500 rear projection TV problem

I recently came into posession of the above TV (our neighbor wanted to upgrade). When you turn on the power, you can hear the TV starting up, then all becomes quiet, except for three LEDs blinking on and off. They are all on the centre pcb; two are green, one is red. Anyone with any ideas on this issue, please give me some advice. Barring that, if anyone knows of a downloadable tech service manual, I would appreciate it. The nearest shop to me is an hour away, and the TV is a monster to move. Thanks!

Reply to
Improv1

Have you the skill and equipment to work on complex electronic components? You might try

for your manual.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Thanks for the input! The $30.00 US is the most expensive I've seen, but will be worth every penny if they are a trustworthy retailer. Before I purchase anything, I will try a fix that I saw on this site.

Reply to
Improv1

Does the fix involve incantations, bat wings and eye of newt? Some proprietary "tool" sold by the site owner?

How can you possibly try to "fix" something when you have no idea whatsoever what may be "broken"?

Just curious.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Me too!!!

H. R. Hofmann

Reply to
hrhofmann

Thanks to those who have posted similar problems in the past, and those who have been helpful in resolving them, I have a pretty good handle on what the problem is, and have confirmed this through testing. There is no need for eye of newt, nor batwings... or even bitchy responses to my post. I don't know your qualifications, nor do you know mine. Thank you to those who made this a positive experience!

Reply to
Improv1

Hello, it is a shame that people havt to be so to say, Jerks, to put it mildly, from the replied postings I just read for your problem, I have the same problem with a set I am working on for a customer, what is happening is the shutdown circuit is detecting something wrong, ether no vertical or horizontal deflection or convergence IC's could be shorted (STK392-110) this is done to protect the phosphor on the tubes from being damaged. The LED's on the power supply board are there to indicate certain voltage presence on the secondary of the switch mode supply. If you are missing any voltages or have lost deflection, the set will come on with high voltage and immediately shutdown. I do not have a solid answer for you cause it could be many things, I would start with the convergence IC's. My set stays on long enough to see an image in the tubes, so I have deflection. I have replaced the convergence IC's and was not the problem. If any kind and humble person has seen this problem and knows what is the problem, it would be beneficial to myself and all that have posted here. I have repaired a set with a similar problem by replacing the deflection board, but that's a $300 fix just for parts. And I dont need incantations, bat wings and eye of newt. Not in my tool box. An ESR meter is handy though.

Thank you

Ken

Reply to
bgmlegend22

Thanks Ken. Yours is the type of response I was hoping for in a Tech HELP forum. I have been working extra hours (plant shutdown... we in the mechanical department are swamped with jobs) and haven't had a chance to get too deep into the TV. I will post my solution when the unit is up and running again.

Reply to
Improv1