Samsung HCM Rear Projection Repair

I own a Samsung Rear Projection HDTV 1080i Serial Number HCM 4216x Svc HCM4216xx/xac type # CM4 2X5

120 V 60 HZ 240 WATTS.

We are experiencing a colour differentation across the top of the screen in the form of an arc. The image above this arc line is tinted yellow,, while the rest of the screen is as it should be. I'd like to know if there's a part I can obtain and replace without having to call repair, most of whom want min $300,00 to fix. I have a picture of what the screen looks like but can't attach it to this message.

Reply to
sw

This is likely a common convergence amp failure. There is a good discussion in the first 10 posts in the link below. Read it very carefully. If you feel confident that you understand it, you may be able to complete the repair your self. If not, then have a pro do it. I strongly recommend getting a copy of the service manual in order to align the set properly. It will need it after the repair is complete.

Leonard

Reply to
Leonard Caillouet

Those things (Samsung, various models) seem like they ate the STK-392-040 / 110 convergence processor ICs like candy. The handfull I've worked on were not properly torqued down to the heat sink.

Replace both chips and look close for any burnt low wattage 10k resistors close to them. Those chips are the workhorse of the set so make sure they are properly heat sink'd.

Have service manual handy to realign convergence.

Oh, this all is considering you can desolder/solder PCB connections and realize the lethal voltages inside a set.

Reply to
Meat Plow