Epson CX5400 - ran out of cyan ink, now can't print at all.

I ran out of the cyan ink in my Epson CX5400 printer, but I still have plenty of black ink. I set the printer preferences to Black Ink only so I can print in black and white. Yet, the printer still shows this error (red light is blinking on the printer's top panel and the error is displaying on the LCD screen). I just can't get past this error and cannot print at all.

Does anyone know how to get around that error and print?

It's very frustrating.

Thanks in advance!

Reply to
success_ny

I don't know if there is a way. What you're seeing is the printer's normal response to running out of ink.

If there is a solution to your problem, it involves configuring the printer for black only, somehow.

Reply to
mc

Hi...

The only way that I've ever discovered is to use third party software like ssc to "lie" to the printer; tell it that the cyan is full.

Take care.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

This is one of the REALLY annoying foibles of Epson printers - my RX425 does the same thing. It's like when one of the heads clogs ( frequent occurence ) and you have to waste about a gallon of ALL of the inks, just to get the one that has clogged up, open again. The only way to get it printing again, when one runs out, is to replace that one.

I've put SSC on my machine, but it does not have a setting specifically for my model, so whilst it provides some useful ' generic ' Epson features, like fancy ink monitoring graphics, I can't get its more useful little features to work. It's a good program though, if it covers your model, and like Ken says, it does have the facility to make a cartridge ' lie ' about how much ink is in it. Download it and give it a try - it's free and it's not going to do any harm.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Because Epson heads are built into the printer, and not user replaceable, it takes a VERY conservative approach to running out of ink. Even if you configure it for black only, it may still try to use the cyan head for cleaning or similar. That can fry it when it actually runs dry.

Unless the printer physically checks the ink level with a sensor, or the cartridge is chipped, you can sometimes cheat by simply going through a cartridge change procedure, but re-using the cartridge. If you do that, be ready to buy a new printer when the head fries.

law!!
http://home.att.net/~andyross
Reply to
Andrew Rossmann