OT: Al Franken

I read in sci.electronics.design that Rich Webb wrote (in ) about 'Al Frankenstein', on Sat, 3 Apr 2004:

Politics in England is certainly two-dimensional like that. We have significant political people that can easily be placed in one of each of the four quadrants.

John Woodgate

I read in sci.electronics.design that R. Steve Walz wrote (in ) about 'Al Frankenstein', on Sat, 3 Apr 2004:

Of course, Your Holiness.

How do you manage to achieve this mix of good, insightful sense and arrant nonsense? Is it a gift or did you have special training?

John Woodgate

I read in sci.electronics.design that Jim Thompson wrote (in ) about 'Al Franken', on Fri, 2 Apr 2004:

What does that word 'TORY' mean to an American? Something different from 'a member of the British Conservative Party', I feel sure.

John Woodgate

Conservatives in Canada and Australia too- definitely the "right" end of the political spectrum despite the Canadian variety calling themselves "Progressive Conservatives". Probably related to that insurgency that was going on there some years back. They didn't like "Loyalists" or "Tories". The other side (Liberal) here would be the "Grits", which is unrelated to US (hominy) grits, AFAIK.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Natural selection favors cowardice- the brave are killed off in wars. Scientific experiments have been conducted on mice that prove cowardice is an inherited trait- switching offspring between bold mice and timid mice at birth allowing the bold/timid to raise the timid/bold, and mixing/matching bold/timid pairs, the offspring exhibit their statistical biological traits regardless. Surveys show that in times of scarcity, the bold population dwindles, killed off by predators while recklessly foraging ever further from protection in search of food, and the timid mice just get skinny but mostly survive. In the human domain- the cowards do not participate in fighting- so they either enjoy the privileges won for them by the brave or survive in slavery- either way they keep on breeding.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

I read in sci.electronics.design that Fred Bloggs wrote (in ) about 'Al Franken', on Sat, 3 Apr 2004:

I'd like to argue strongly against that, but I don't dare to. (;-)

So, for world peace, we need to identify the boldness gene and eradicate it?

John Woodgate

During the Revolutionary War, British supporters/cowards were labeled Tory.

...Jim Thompson

For world peace, we need to identify the stupidity gene and eradicate that. The bold are more victims of war more than instigators. This most recent war was started by the non-bold to be sure.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

I read in sci.electronics.design that Fred Bloggs wrote (in ) about 'Al Franken', on Sat, 3 Apr 2004:

But has anyone done any experiments on mice to show that there is such a gene?

That may well be true now, although it wasn't in the past.

There's 'bold' and 'bold'.

John Woodgate

Maybe avian DNA investigations can isolate the chickenhawk gene.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

For those who don't know:

doctrinaire - adj. dogmatic, or fanatical about another's acceptance of one's theories or teaching.

dogma - n. that which is held as an opinion; esp. a definite Tenet.

dogmatic - adj. of, or pertaining to dogma.

fanatic - adj. Governed or produced by too great zeal. excessively enthusiastic, esp. on religious subjects.

fanatical - adj. fanatic.

Tenet - n. Any principle, dogma, belief, or doctrine, held as true, esp. by an organization. SYN. see doctrine.

The below should make more sense now.

-Chuck Harris

John Dys> Thank you!!! Your understanding is similar to mine...

Reply to
Chuck Harris

That the British supporters were labeled Tory is indisputable. That they were cowards, is in the eyes of the beholder. To the British, they were heroes, to the newly founded Americans, they were beneath contempt.

-Chuck Harris

Reply to
Chuck Harris

But she (Coulter) defends McCarthy. She also said once (maybe in '96) that she'd vote for either Forbes or Buchanan. I was a Forbes delegate, and I see no similarity. They were more different than any other two candidates, so it seems that she just wanted a political outsider regardless of what he thinks. She's intellectually shallow.

--
-Reply in group, but if emailing add 2 more zeros-
-and remove the obvious-

Whenever I want a quick laugh I listen to somebody who listens to Rush.

Reply to
Robert C Monsen

So which gene is dominant?

--
-Reply in group, but if emailing add 2 more zeros-
-and remove the obvious-
Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Please don't besmurch the name of that noble breakfast (and around here, occasionally, dinner) food.

Anybody wany my recipe for fried grits?

John

There were revolutionaries and loyalists in the Revolutionary War, but few cowards.

John

So why isn't humanity 100% cowards by now?

John

What does it taste like? Is it one of those things like tofu that only tastes good or even okay because of what goes with it?

From the description I looked up on the net, it seems like lutefisk only made with corn instead of codfish.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Well, people who disagree with you strongly are known quantities, and you can make rational decisions about how to deal with them. If they turn out to be cowards, you win. It's cowardly "allies" that are truly dangerous. The problem is, you can't really tell who has guts and honor until things get tough; that's why old, proven friends are the most reliable.

It's surprising how many weenies there are, and who turns out to be brave when it matters. I think humans sort of naturally arrange themselves in hierarchal structures, with about one leader to maybe 20 followers in each local cluster.

John