Xilinx Platform Flash Prom

This may be an odd question but here goes...

I would like to use the JTAG chain to program Xilinx's Virtex-II fpga and the Platform Flash ISP Configuration PROM. OK, that's not a problem as it's detailed in document DS123 (v2.2). However, I would like to add a second Platform Flash PROM in the same chain as the Virtex-II and it's config PROM. This second PROM would be used to hold general purpose data (ie. not FPGA config data). I would like to connect this PROM to unused I/O of the FPGA which would then reset the PROM and pull data out of it serially to be used in other parts of the product we're developing.

Each "box" we're designing will have analog control bits that need to be tweaked when the unit is sealed up. The only access I have to the PROM is through the JTAG interface. I was wondering if anyone has seen any app notes detailing this sort of interface/design.

Pete

Reply to
Pete

Should be straight forward, not much different from using two small proms to configure one FPGA, except that one of the proms isn't connected to the configuration pins of the FPGA.

From the JTAG side it'll just be a chain of 2 proms and an FPGA, one programmed with the fpga configuration the other with you general purpose data.

The prom connected to the configuration pins on the FPGA configures the FPGA, the prom connected to I/O's does nothing unless you drive the pins ..

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Reply to
Peter Alfke

Pete, Have you looked at the schematic for the board,sometimes you might get a way to access the PROM ;other than that,I dont think it is possible to access PROM. I was once trying to do that to load two different config bits and use them as and when needed, but the solution i got was using System ACE controller. you might want to check that out. Ram

Reply to
ram

be smart. IT IS POSSIBLE to access the (xilinx config) PROM after configuration if you need it.

Antti xilinx.openchip.org

Reply to
Antti Lukats

That's pretty much what I was hoping I could do. Now I need to determine the data format necessary to get the prom configured using the xilinx supplied tools.

Pete

Reply to
Pete