PPC access to PROM using Virtex @ pro

Hi, I am trying to use the embedded ppc in Xilinx Virtex 2 pro FPGA to reconfigure the same. I have gone thro the embedded design applications , xapp 058, xapp503. As I see, those applications had external processors, but what i am trying to achieve is store bit files in PROM , boot with a file , later, access the other file from PROM and reconfigure the entire device. It seems, System ACE Cf is a promising solution to this. But I need help on how to interface PROM with PPC , I am having Xilinx HW AFX prototye demo board, xc2vp4, ff672 -6 package. the board has couple of 4MB PROM's which i need to access from PPC. If not, i have one 8MB SRAM which can be configured using the EDK tools. To put it short, I am trying to load bit streams on the fly by configuring PPC

I would appreciate any advice and help

Early thanks for the time spend to reply. Ram University of Oklahoma

Reply to
Ram

what you want is notreadily available SystemACE CF is a real cool solution, but you cant use that the config PROM could theoretically be reprogrammed by the same FPGA it does configure but this is a realy dangerous technic, if something goes wrong then the system fully dead.

Atmel FPSLIC appnote descibes similar thing, the FPGA+CPU are booted from config memory then the configuration memory is reprogrammed using config interface (in that case I2C). then its rebooting with new configuration. similar could theoretically work on Xilinx FGPA and config but you would need to use JTAG interface to reprogram the platfrom flash.

as of reconfig from ram, etc, read the threads about partial reconfig.

antti

Reply to
Antti Lukats