Spartan-3 shipping, or perhaps not!

According to the Xilinx home page two of the Spartan-3 family are in production and shipping. However, when the link is followed, one is taken to an old press release which says that four family members are shipping! Which is correct?

Leon

--
Leon Heller, G1HSM
Email: aqzf13@dsl.pipex.com

Leon,

Not the clearest presentation,I'll admit.

Two devices, the 50J and 1000J are ES only, as they are the non-3.3V versions of the part. They are to be replaced with the non-J parts soon.

There are four devices that are 3.3V compliant, and out now.

Four are shipping and sampling with all features, with two of the four in production, and the remaining two in ES mode for a little longer.

Sorry for the confusion.

Aust> According to the Xilinx home page two of the Spartan-3 family are in

Reply to
Austin Lesea

Austin Lesea wrote: : Leon,

: Not the clearest presentation,I'll admit.

: Two devices, the 50J and 1000J are ES only, as they are the non-3.3V : versions of the part. They are to be replaced with the non-J parts soon.

: There are four devices that are 3.3V compliant, and out now.

: Four are shipping and sampling with all features, with two of the four : in production, and the remaining two in ES mode for a little longer.

: Sorry for the confusion.

When can we expect these parts to be available at distributors? E.g. nuhorizons list no XC3S available at the moment.

Bye

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Uwe Bonnes

Austin,

Is that four parts in all footprints or four part/ footprint combinations?

Any more details on which four?

A client on mine has just spent a desperate couple of days trying to source a Spartan3 device they've designed in to their next generation product, they only need a few (

Reply to
Nial Stewart

Uwe,

The upturn in the electronics industry caught everyone off-guard.

As was disclosed in our last fiscal report, the Q to Q numbers were up

16%, which is a lot like saying "wow!" or maybe "ouch!" -- depends on your point of view.

Unfortunately, we have to build our chips in advance of their need, and the fab cycle is not getting any shorter as the technology gets smaller. No one was willing to make any committments in November. Now everyone wants parts, and lots of them.

It is not only S3, but even some of the older parts as well.

Thus, the chips we find today to ship started their life sometime in the summer and early fall based on the projections and orders that we had, and anticipated.

We are doing our best to meet all requests.

Aust> Aust> : Leon,

Reply to
Austin Lesea

Nial,

FAEs have the documents, so I would suggest they put in the request to find out from them.

Aust>>Four are shipping and sampling with all features, with two of the four

Reply to
Austin Lesea

I can say that I was promised to have parts in my hand by November and I am still waiting.

--
Rick "rickman" Collins

rick.collins@XYarius.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
rickman

Rick,

What part, and by whom?

I like to check on things when I see an issue such as yours,

Aust> Aust>

Reply to
Austin Lesea

6 week lead time was given to me also from Memec in September for S3, so it should have had shipped in November. I didnt even order because I did not believe that. As I see those who ordered have still not received the parts. Sorry Austin.

But for all others - the industry is really really down, leadtimes are longer, parts that you expected to be off-stock are not anymore.

I did part order yesterday (from digikey) and was terrified to see how many positions where not available any more :(

Antti Lukats

Reply to
Antti Lukats

May be that article somehow explains discussed odd situation concerning Spartan-3 availability.

Valeri Serebrianski