System crashes when configuring altera stratix pci board

Hi,

I have been trying to get Altera's Stratix PCI Development Kit to work. The device on the board is EP1s25f1020c5. My design has a 32 bit PCI target core, alongwith a simple backend design that

- sends a ready signal back to the PCI core following a framen signal from the core

- and then reads in data (in case of a target write)

When I try to use the sof file to configure the device, the whole system hangs. The configuration LED shows that the device is configured.

The Altera documentation says a system hang is expected whenever the PCI board is programmed when plugged into the PCI slot of the device, and says a reset (without shutting down the power) should get the board going. However, in my case, the system crashes so badly that even the reset button has no effect.

I had found a reference to a similar problem, where they had found that their backend was not responding to signals from the core in an expected manner, thus crashing the system. I have gone through the reference design and the Altera pdf, and kept my backend simple and hopefully correct.

Has somebody ever faced this system hang situation while configuring an Altera pci board? Where can the problem be? Help and comments are wholeheartedly appreciated.

Mohit

Reply to
MT

Sorry, I forgot to add that configuring even a simple design on the board, that just assigns constant values to USER_LEDs, also successfully hangs the entire system, so that it cannot be reset softly.

Although if the system is hanging waiting for a response from the PCI design, that might explain the above case too.

MT wrote:

Reply to
MT

Is there no config device on board you can program so the board will be configured on power up before the PCI bus configuration is performed?

(Have you simulated your design ?)

Nial.

Reply to
Nial Stewart

Is this PCI card plugged into the same system that you are running the download program on?

If so... Don't do that.

The card will kill the bus during a program cycle, and take the host machine down.

Reply to
ghelbig