Search for FPGA

Hello,

I'm looking for a small FPGA which needs only one voltage source and has about 10 kByte internal RAM.Since we have experience with Xilinx, I would prefer a Spartan, but they need three voltages. That's right?

Bye Tom.

Reply to
Thomas Reinemann

"Thomas Reinemann" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:dat7u2$rtp$ snipped-for-privacy@fuerst.cs.uni-magdeburg.de...

almost all devices need more than one voltage, with the exception of LatticeXP that comes in several variants and can be powered from single 3.3V supply. Ah ok the ProAsic3 is also single voltage capable but to my knoweledge there is no ProAsic3 shipping at the moment. Butr Lattice XP10 should be already available.

If single voltage is requirement I would go with XP10 it has 24KByte of BRAMs as well

Antti

Reply to
Antti Lukats

Hi Tom,

what I/O voltages do you need?

3.3V? 2.5V?.......

Best regards,

Michael

Reply to
Michael Bodenbach

Not so common to find used these days but the older families are still available if you must have a low rail count. Otherwise you can reduce your rail count by making the I/O operate at the same as Vccint say 2.5V for a Spartan-3.

Another way to reduce the pain is to use multi-output regulators. We use TI parts TPS70402 for exactly this reason and get two rails out of a fairly small package. You can also consider using a diode drop from 3.2/3.3V to generate a Vccaux of 2.5V.

John Adair Enterpoint Ltd. - Home of MINI-CAN, PCI and CAN Development Board.

"Thomas Reinemann" wrote in message news:dat7u2$rtp$ snipped-for-privacy@fuerst.cs.uni-magdeburg.de...

Reply to
John Adair

I think you mean Spartan 2 here (2.5V) The problem with Spartan 2 is that the small devices don't have much block RAM. With Spartan 3 the small devices are bigger internally and do have more block RAM, but the VccInt is too low for most interfacing to other logic. Adding a small regulator for VccInt is reasonable if you really need a "small" device, i.e. you don't have so many internal nets switching that the power requirements exceeds the regulator's current rating.

Reply to
Gabor

Oops I meant Vccaux at 2.5V. I was thinking along the line that most people now have 3.3V already as a supply and you need to generate 2 more rails.

The TPS70402 will generate 1 x 2amp and 1 x 1amp outputs. It takes a lot of very fast logic to drag 2 amps into a Spartan-3 on the Vccint rail.

John Adair Enterpoint Ltd. - Home of Broaddown2. The Ultimate Spartan3 Development Board.

John Adair

Actel ProAsic Plus is also single voltage capable and should be still available. No need to look at the newest technology when searching small fpgas :=).

bye Thomas

Reply to
Thomas Stanka