FPGA -> ASIC`

Hello:

I have absolutely no experience in ASIC design. I do however have experience in FPGA. I have a CPU design that is currently working in a Xilinx FPGA. The design fits in a spartan3 XCS200 (144pin Package).

I want to migrate to a fully custom chip in a different package. My design only has 10 pins that are used for signals so I want to get into a very small package such as a SOIC20 or a micro lead frame (QFN) 32 package.

Is it possible to take a synthesizable netlist to an ASIC vendor and get a custom chip in a custom package? What kind of Costs should I expect? Right now the FPGA solution is too big and to expensive for the runs I need. The Spartan chips need to get to around $4 (and in a smaller package) to become cost effective (rather than $20). Also, I want to get rid of the configuration FLASH to save $$ (Hence the ASIC)

Thanks, Eli

Reply to
Eli Hughes

"Eli Hughes" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:dpm1ca$1kqc$ snipped-for-privacy@f04n12.cac.psu.edu...

Xilinx chips can go as low as $4, but well depends on quantity and the config flash is a pain

but check also Actel PA3 in CSP package offering, the package is just a bit larger than QFN32, but I think the PCB estate a little smaller than SOIC20 - well cost can be too high, Lattice doesnt have QFN so far, only BGA what is possible too big for you

has qfn56 as smallest package

antti

Reply to
Antti Lukats

Have you looked at Altera's HardCopy device? It allows you to migrate a FPGA (Startix/Cyclone) design to a HardCopy device. It is suppose to have some of the advantages of ASIC device (price was one of them).

Derek

Reply to
dereks314

You do not mention your volumes : ASICs (and even some FPGA-ASIC alternatives, as well ) have substantial NRE (setup) costs, as well as minimum volumes. FPGA vendors boast about sub $3 'future-price' devices, and also have flows that lower prices for stable code and high volume.

- but their high volume, and your high volume, may be different :) For cheapest config, look at SPI FLASH devices.

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

Stratix/Stratix II, rather. The HardCopy devices are definitely high end. Definitely seems like a nice migration program, though.

-hpa

Reply to
H. Peter Anvin