A video tutorial: The Xilinx FPGA Editor

Hello all,

For all those who know that the Xilinx FPGA Editor exists, and maybe that it's good for something, but are reluctant to try it out (for obvious reasons): I've made a short video guide, which takes the viewer around, and also demonstrates some very useful things you can do with it. Overall, it's some 20 minutes of video (in three parts).

Link:

It's maybe not easy to follow at first glance, but since all operations are shown explicitly on screen capture, using the "pause" button, and trying it out yourself, should be pretty straightforward.

The tutorial goes through everything from opening an NCD file for editing, viewing the design down to its small details, making some changes, and finally saving the altered design for creation of a bitfile. It also shows how to create probes (or: how to touch any signal within your FPGA design with your oscilloscope probe in a minute).

Hope it turns out useful out there.

Eli

Reply to
eli.billauer

Dear Eli, Thanks for the great Tutorials of the Xilinx FPGA Editor. I want also know if there is everywhere a Documentation or a Howto about the FPGA Editor. It is a little bit a "wrong world" in there users create documentation and more, but thanks to all for sharing her experience and knowledge.

Best regards,

Daniel

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com schrieb:

Reply to
Daniel Koethe

Not to bad. But a suggestion. In several points in the videos you use a generic reference. example : "click this button to commit changes." You probably want to state the button name/action, or if that is impossible make the button you are talking about impossible to miss. example...Use your video editor and circle the button or draw an arrow to it. The cursor is easily lost. Using the cursor for pointing can cause confusion.

I shall have to try pulling nets out to my logic analyzer. Could save me the time it would take to learn chipscope.

Reply to
Dwayne Dilbeck

Well, I've been looking for some docs about the Editor every now and then myself, but couldn't find anything instructive. So I suppose it's pretty undocumented, except for the Help from within the application itself.

Eli

Reply to
eli.billauer