Reg article

Note the reference to MIT Idiocy. There's a lot of that going around lately. Which links to this one...

Doesn't anybody teach math at MIT any more?

--

John Larkin Highland Technology Inc

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com

Precision electronic instrumentation Picosecond-resolution Digital Delay and Pulse generators Custom timing and laser controllers Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links VME analog, thermocouple, LVDT, synchro, tachometer Multichannel arbitrary waveform generators

All they teach now is how to recognize serial liars... you're listed :-) ...Jim Thompson

The probably do, but they probably also teach that there's no such thing as negative publicity - a negative puff in "The Register" is worth pretty much the same as a positive write-up, even ignoring the fact that The "Register" has a rather feeble grasp of scientific facts.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

You must represent the "international kudos" those MIT idiots collected.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Except John makes a valid point and you don't.

While MIT started it's downward slide after the Paul Biddle whistle blower event, garbage like their media lab really killed the school for real engineering.

Reply to
miso

Imagine a public space paved with those tiles. It would be like walking in wet concrete. And everybody would be tripping and breaking their legs and suing. What about people in wheelchairs or MIT alum geezers with canes and walkers?

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

.
.

Not really. You are the sucker who picked up the story in The Register, and pasted it into this usegroup - a group who'd never heard of it before, and would have been just as happy to remain ignorant.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

Bill Sloman, ever happy to remain ignorant.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Larkin is always "the sucker" :-p ...Jim Thompson

Biddle sued Stanford, and caused all sorts of media attention, but the dispute was settled in 1994 substantially in Stanford's favour. (Stanford wound up owing the feds about 0.1% of the money at issue.)

University administrations are some of the most featherbedded institutions in the world. The Ministry of Administrative Affairs has nothing on them.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

e...

r...

In some areas, but not - for instance - about anthropogenic global warming, which is probably of more significance than trivial tricks for making public buildings seem "ecologically responsible".

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

..

..

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0...Jim Thompson

Probably not. The tiles would have to give a bit for work to be done, but so does carpet. Wet concrete sticks to your feet, which seems unlikely to be a necessary feature of such a floor. Maybe you imagination needs a bit of recalibration.

Just like they do when walking on carpet? A bit of resilience underfoot is easier on the feet than a hard surface.

ers?

Are they going to be going to London for the Olympics? It's more for the well-heeled sports enthusiasts ...

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

But...one IS larger than zero - THEREFORE worth something...

Reply to
Robert Baer

How about one-upping them and create a parallel liar?

Reply to
Robert Baer

The Register has writers of varying qualities.

Lewis Page, well I compare him with Bob Parks (of the old fasioned faxed around list "Bob Parks' What's new") and come to the conclusion that Bob Parks did far better, with maybe one percent of the words,

20+ years ago.

And other Register writers are incisively funny... my favorite was Ted Dzubia:

Tim Shoppa

make_it_stop/

d/

The author of that article is a mental midget. The 7W figure as an example = of the energy production should give a clue of end use perspective. How bet= ter to summarize the efficacy of the technology in its intended use than en= capsulate the performance into a net effective load reduction described in = terms of reduced wattage requirement of the lighting. This seems reasonable= to me and is a pretty direct measure of what the end user would want to kn= ow about it. So 7W is 7 x 24=3D 168 Watt-Hours. Happy now?

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

the energy production should give a clue of end use perspective. How better to summarize the efficacy of the technology in its intended use than encapsulate the performance into a net effective load reduction described in terms of reduced wattage requirement of the lighting. This seems reasonable to me and is a pretty direct measure of what the end user would want to know about it. So 7W is 7 x 24= 168 Watt-Hours. Happy now?

Not likely, Larkin is "Tulane"-ized. If you can't run the math, run your mouth. ...Jim Thompson

"On average, one footstep generates 7 watts of electricity, though the amount varies depending on a person's weight."

Woohoo! They're putting up a new WalMart nearby. We'll have all the energy we need!

Personally, I'm against people who give vent to their loquacity by
extraneous bombastic circumlocution.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

NO amount of energy is enough to erase those images...

Reply to
krw

the energy production should give a clue of end use perspective. How better to summarize the efficacy of the technology in its intended use than encapsulate the performance into a net effective load reduction described in terms of reduced wattage requirement of the lighting. This seems reasonable to me and is a pretty direct measure of what the end user would want to know about it. So 7W is 7 x 24= 168 Watt-Hours. Happy now?

OK, Mr MIT Math Man,

says that

"One step, for instance, can power two 60W light bulbs for one second. But multiply that step by 28,527 and you have enough energy to power a moving train for one second. And if you multiply a single step by

84,162,203? Enough energy to power the launch of a space shuttle."

Do you verify that calculation?