WHOA! Microsoft strikes again...

Skype pops up with "Update Available"... so I start it.

Part way it says something like, "You agree to automatic updates"

CANCEL!

Sheeeesh! ...Jim Thompson

Forgot to say... no option to NOT accept automatic updates. ...Jim Thompson

-- | James E.Thompson | mens | | Analog Innovations | et | | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus | | San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: Contacts Only | | | Voice:(480)460-2350 Fax: Available upon request | Brass Rat | | E-mail Icon at

| 1962 | The touchstone of liberalism is intolerance

I just had that. Clicked the button not to update now and it started updating anyhow. This is why ever since Windows 7 the task manager is always open. So that rogue processes can be terminated hard and most of all fast.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

One of my people got force-updated to Win10, even though she never asked for it. I have all updates turned off, and deleted some Windows stuff that plays these sneaky games.

Windows is becoming malware.

lunatic fringe electronics

           The touchstone of liberalism is intolerance

Umm....been asleep for the last 20 years or so? ;)

I've switched over essentially entirely to Linux. Wine is good enough to run just about everything, and I have XP and Win7 virtual machines for the few exceptions, such as Visual Studio 2010.

I especially like Qubes. It's very slightly clunky due to its paranoid security architecture, but once you get comfortable with it, it works great and you don't have to be scared of ransomware and so on.

I'm building a third Supermicro box for home, which will run Qubes exclusively.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I am tempted to do that for a tablet with touch screen. Had a Windows 10 version, horrid, even HDMI didn't work. So I returned it. Unfortunately there is (so far) only one Ubuntu tablet and only from Spain.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

the trial for MS project did that to me. Seems all the latest MS stuff turns on updates with out asking.

Martin Riddle

Check out Project Libre.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Its called Linux. Works like a charm! Less resource hungry, a choice of desktops, browsers, mail clients, etc. I've been using it as the general desktop since 1998 or so.

I even run some old CAD applications in VirtualBox with XP. (I used to use Win2K, but my tax program will no longer install on Win2K, so it forced me up to XP. Hopefully, I can stay with that for some time to come.) Having both XP and Linux running simultaneously on the same box, and being able to shuffle files between them is great.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

You're old enough to remember the saying "There is no free lunch". I am you nger and remember it. To think the Microsoft is going to give their shit aw ay is ridiculous. I think they'll either make it crippleware or charge for mandatory updates or something like that.

I've also caught wind of something, might just be a rumor, but a bunch of n ew hardware will be designed to ONLY run on Windows, probably 10.

I got 10 at work, I have no control over the computers there. All I do is l ook for spec sheets, schematics, whatever. I have not tried to really custo mize it in any way, partly because it isn't mine. The only thing I did was to install Firefox on it because I can't stand Chrome and couldn't find IE and have no desire to learn uSoft's new browser, the name of which slipped my mind. (and don't other reminding me)

I think they are burying themself. they are just shoving too much down peop le's throats and the smart ones are not going to put up with it. I won't. I would rather put up with the limited functionality if Linux than be dragge d through this shit as if I had a ring in my nose and they were pulling me along.

I have a pretty good record at predicting things, though I did not predict this. Although it is not hard to fathom, Microshaft is going to want automa tic payments every month, linked to your bank account or credit card, or th e OS stops. And people who do not deal with banks, they do not need. It is all about commerce.

But in the end, they are shooting themself in the foot because there might just be a generation of kids that grow up on Linux. Governments in some cou ntries have laws against any government agency using Windows. Banks don't u se Windows. Half of law enforcement PCs do not run Windows. Driver's licens e bureaus and welfare offices do not use Windows, at least exclusively. The important data are on some other OS, not vulnerable like a little baby lik e Windows is.

I got XP and Vista and can't stand Vista. If I cannot run those anymore som eday I will either run Linux, or nothing.

Reply to
jurb6006

I think it's eating up some of my limited download at home. All of a sudden the computer is on and ~100's of MB are gone, we live on 1G/day, so you notice 200 MB. (I've got a 'puter still running XP... cause of my old programs. But it still connects just fine. (well maybe not skype and such.))

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

It's called Linux. I've got SuSE 13.2 on a separate partition on this computer - Windows 7 makes it easier to set this up on a separate hard disk, which is what I've done.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Just to echo Jim, someone could make a nice penny selling "the right" linux system. Don't ask me what right means.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

I went from XP to Win7 and it's not bad. Of course I got 8x the RAM and 16x the disk and 4x the CPU power at the same time.

Updates are all off and the Microtrash Win10 extortion horrors are disabled.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com
[snip].
[snip]

That means us users want at a plug-n-play replacement for Wimpows. ...Jim Thompson

-- | James E.Thompson | mens | | Analog Innovations | et | | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus | | San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: Contacts Only | | | Voice:(480)460-2350 Fax: Available upon request | Brass Rat | | E-mail Icon at

| 1962 | The touchstone of liberalism is intolerance

Puppy Linux is the easiest version to use. A disadvantage is that it is one of the least secure versions of Linux (no passwords).

Reply to
sean.c4s.vn

Linux is not a substitute for windows. It has too many 'odd' behaviors and commands that are remnants of the 70's/80's.

As a result it is too hard for most computer *users*

Reply to
David Eather

In fact it is a superior alternative. It's Windows that has the odd behaviours.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

On Tue, 26 Apr 2016 19:29:29 -0700, Jeff Liebermann Gave us:

Run a windows 7 session in a VM. Big deal. Less learning curve.

He has to lay off the w(h)ine for a few days though. Both types.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno