LTspice, tools used for its creation?

Does any one know what Mike used for software tools to generate the engine and UI ?

Jamie

Reply to
M Philbrook

The schematic UI sucks big time >:-}

But I now can use (MicroSim) PSpice Schematics as a front-end. In fact I now use PSpice Schematics to run tests of Spice models on _any_ simulator engine. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

There are some references to the windows.forms classes inthe exe. But I can't tell if its C, C# or VB.

Martin Riddle

I asked Mike once what he used after one of his LT seminars and he did NOT want to talk about it. He DID say that he used a whole bunch of different tools though and then walked away, preferring not to get into it any further. He also said that it would be too hard to make it able to click and drag the graphics around the output sreen when I asked him about that.

boB K7IQ

Reply to
boB

That's a matter of taste and habits. I like it. I've used Pspice Schematics in the past, but I prefer LTspice's way now.

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

I sometimes draw LT Spice schematics just as manual illustrations. Screen capture looks fine for simple circuits. Visio is OK for denser stuff, but it's a pain to draw schematics in Visio.

PADS-Logic is a wonderful schematic editor for real work.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

You probably actually used OrCAD Crapture which is horrid. I use original crispy flavor _MicroSim_ PSpice Schematics. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

No. I dropped Pspice well before it became OrCAD. I still have the MicroSim manuals. Nice little sturdy 3-ring binders.

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

i am going to shoot from the hip and say the UI was or is done in a borland product, Builder C++ or delphi.. The reason I say this is due to the icons of choice in the Help form. Those are commonly found in the image folder of the compiler.

He also could be using lazarus which uses Free Pascal, but that is a long shot.

Jamie

Reply to
M Philbrook

Want to have a shoot-out? I'll create a schematic TWICE as fast in PSpice as you will in LTspice... and it'll look more professional. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

I don't doubt that at all... Isn't Borland Builder a pretty old product nowadays ? I remember those from late 1990s at least. Mike has been working on that program for many years too so that makes even more sense.

Never heard of Lazarus before but there are SO many platforms these days ! I think that Mike even does (or did) some in assembly source language, at least on the early LTspice. I think he did mention ASM as well when I talked with him.

boB

Reply to
boB

That's not a good sign.

That's not a good sign.

Reply to
bitrex

whatever it's written in it looks like it makes extensive use of

*printf and *scanf (so it's probabaly C)
--
  \_(?)_
Reply to

In message , M Philbrook writes

I was at one of his talks here in Edinburgh and I'm sure he said it was written in "C" - You could e-mail him and ask.

Brian

--
Brian Howie
Reply to

This will always depend on previous work.

Looking 'professional' depends on the 'looker'. This is not a feature of any graphical user interface.

RL

Reply to
legg

Nice, a stack overflow exploit embedded within a .asc file would be a pretty cool trick.

Reply to
bitrex

LTspice graphics look like a spin-off from Microsoft Paint. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

mix of managed and unmanaged code? scad3 was probably updated at some point in development. It's eaiser to use existing code and make it work with managed code. The garbage collector is a real pain in some cases. So it might be a mix of C and C++, or C and C#. Some one mentioned ASM, and if I recall Mike had pointed out (during his world tour) the single cycle execution time is in the ns on GHz clocked CPUs. All aluding to the Large Matricies that the spice engine uses, I am guessing the ASM code is here for computational speed.

Also according to Borland C++ calls the code sections CODE, and the MS compiler calls it .TEXT . scad3 has the .text sections. I dont see CODE as marking the sections, I just see CODE in the string tables. Also, The Borland dialogs tend to have the Red X marks and Green check marks on the buttons, scad3 does not.

I'm betting on MS Visual Studio.

Martin Riddle

I see no evidence of any managed code,

I found this string "Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library"

--
  \_(?)_
Reply to

The hardcore part (solver) is probably from the original SPICE project by L.Nagel. Original was FORTRAN, later ported to C. No idea on the GUI.

Pere

Reply to
o pere o