WHOA! Microsoft strikes again...

Oh! Thanks! :D

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

Aha! Thanks, I always wondered what that stuff was called in America. I ran out of the bucket I brought over from Europe. Will get some.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

possibly the turbo pascal integer divide by zero in timer calibration bug, there's a patch for it.

--
  \_(?)_
Reply to

George Herold prodded the keyboard with:

I've been running Linux since the Yagrasil days ! Currently Linux OS on a 12 year old dual core P4 It flys compared to my sons new W10 surface machine.

--
Best Regards:
                      Baron.

George Herold prodded the keyboard with:

Draftsight runs quite happily on Linux, though I prefer Qcad.

--
Best Regards:
                      Baron.

On Fri, 29 Apr 2016 14:48:16 +0100, Baron Gave us:

Especially when it is set up with a lean DE.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Joerg prodded the keyboard with:

I haven't had that problem for a few years now. About the only issue that I've had recently is with wireless cards. It used to be that you had to extract the firmware from the windows software, but I haven't had to do that for a while now.

--
Best Regards:
                      Baron.

Well, to boot it's the Signalhound spectrum analyzer and generator. Linux requires a factory upgrade, meaning I'd have to send them back, pay for the service, shipping and all that. Other stuff I have I was told by a computer guy would not work.

I'll stay with XP at the lab bench.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

In practice USB devices have much less device driver problems on Linux than they have on Windows. And for cases where you need a specific driver you have available in Windows XP you can run a VM with Windows that accesses the raw USB device on Linux. You need a Windows driver only.

(of course running Windows XP in a VM on Linux requires a modern box that would be capable of running Windows 7 or 10 as well)

Reply to
Rob

Joerg prodded the keyboard with:

I thought that the "Signalhound" device used Linux based software ?

--
Best Regards:
                      Baron.

There's no more need for ndiswrapper? :D

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

You brought a whole bucket of Goop-equivalent from Germany?! (amazed)

I tested the engine last night. It passed the smoke test! The timing belt didn't fall off! And no more oil dripping from the oil pump! *whew*

Now I just have to raise the engine (by the oil pan) to re-install the engine mount (the bolts are really really deep in there, hard to reach).

Regards,

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

"Yagrasil days".. Sounds like some time when Norse gods ruled the world. I did find Yggdrasil and linux.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Qcad.. OK I'll try it. I've got some ancient version of Easycad. (I think I did pay for an update in the early 2000's)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com prodded the keyboard with:

Probably not ! It's been a while since I had to extract firmware for a wireless device.

--
Best Regards:
                      Baron.

George Herold prodded the keyboard with:

Sorry about the spelling, its been some years.

My XYL bought me a book about Linux with a CD bound in, with Yggdrasil Linux on it. At that time you had to compile each part that you wanted. Very much hard work compared to today's distributions, with everything compiled and ready to install.

--
Best Regards:
                      Baron.

It's Windows-based. Unfortunately they based it on Qt which Microsoft has now largely made incompatible with XP in the libraries. So the new and better Signalhound software (Spike) can only be used on Windows 7 or higher.

They offer the software for Linux as well. However:

Quote " Spike API for ARMv7-A Linux v. 3.0.6 ... Requires a factory upgrade".

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

That reminds me. I'm almost out.

A small bucket, and their stuff (Reinol Handwaschpaste). I still had it, can't throw that away. It worked very well for oil stains.

Be careful. I knew a guy who experienced a mishap there under the car. He did not survive :-(

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I have become very sceptical there. Numerous USB devices quit working under Windows 7 while they always worked under XP. Research showed there wasn't much that could be done.

So for me it's "Don't touch a running system" for as long as I can.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Joerg prodded the keyboard with:

Ah, that is probably where I got the idea that it was Linux based hardware.

A little gripe of mine is the wife's SATNAV, it's Linux based but requires windows to update it ! Net result is she is still using 3 year old maps :-)

--
Best Regards:
                      Baron.