Georgia Tech Welcome speech

A little fun and enthusiasm. 1:55

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Desert Vista High School (Ahwatukee/Phoenix) graduate. One of my five granddaughters, Megan, graduated from there two years before Nick. ...Jim Thompson

-- | James E.Thompson | mens | | Analog Innovations | et | | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus | | San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: Contacts Only | | | Voice:(480)460-2350 Fax: Available upon request | Brass Rat | | E-mail Icon at

So the little techie is going to "crush the shoulders of the [scientific] giants" eh? Kinda pathetic, unimpressive, narcissistic rant...

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

There are leaders and there are followers. The speaker in the video clip is a leader, or at least a cheerleader. You are apparently a follower.

Such speeches are commonly used to reassure the prospective students that they have made the right choice to attend Georgia Tech. That has to be done because many students are not quite sure that they're ready for a lifetime career in science and technology. Others need to be told because either someone else made the decision for them, or they're not quite sure how they got there. Look at the faces in the crowd and notice the lost and nervous looks.

It's a rare engineer or scientist that has the ability to speak properly before an audience (without putting them to sleep). Even rarer are those that can inspire groups of engineers or prospective engineers. While the speaker in the video is somewhat more theatrical than the occasion requires, it's still a rather impressive motivational speech.

If you found it a "pathetic, unimpressive, narcissistic rant", then you weren't listening. Play it again, this time putting yourself in the position of a 19 year old beginning freshmen engineering or science student and see if it sounds any better.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Interview with the speaker, Nick Selby, a sophmore in mechanical engineering: 6:33 He seems quite articulate and able to think well on his feet.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Lighten up. It was a great performance. Hell of an Engineer, I like that.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology Inc

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com

Precision electronic instrumentation Picosecond-resolution Digital Delay and Pulse generators Custom timing and laser controllers Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links VME analog, thermocouple, LVDT, synchro, tachometer Multichannel arbitrary waveform generators

Think on his feet in a Fox news interview??? Gimme a break! The interview is equally superficial and dumb, but thanks for the link so I could give it a dislike.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

If I was enrolled there and found the mentality of that so-called speech was at all representative of the student body, I would lead myself to the registrar's office and disenroll from the cesspool. Ironman suit my ass...

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

It was a lower brain function performance of interest to maybe behavioral psychologists and that's about it.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Fascinating and spoken like a true curmudgeon. Now, rewind a few decades and put yourself back into the position of a 19 year old college freshman. Were you so opinionated at the time that you would trash your future simply because of a welcome speech? Were you so certain that a sophomore M.E. somehow represented the mentality of the entire college? I doubt it. You probably had an open mind, now lost.

When I lurched my way through 4 colleges, I was dazed, lost, confused, and made mistakes. Finding oneself was the mantra. I experimented. I took classes in everything that was allowed and interesting. I sat in on senior level classes to see where I was going (with the instructors permission). I made every mistake in the book, took nothing at face value, locked horns with the administration, and was graduated mostly to get rid of me. That's where "Learn By Destroying(tm)" originated. If you had announced your displeasure at the traditional welcome speech and subsequently walked out, most students would have thought you idiotic, stupid, unworthy, and silly.

From the perspective of someone with at least one career behind them, the speech might seem a bit overly optimistic. Engineering is not the true path to enrichment or enlightenment. If anything, it's one of the more difficult paths. Those that don't survive, become managers. In order to stay on the path, one must have a positive attitude and be inspired by something. The speech was written for someone much younger than yourself, with very different ideals and illusions of what the future will hold. It was not written or presented for you or me. While Ironman may not have a place in your life, it's this generations symbol of what a career in technology might offer to a new engineering or science student. While the students at Georgia Tech may eventually produce Ironman suits, autonomous vehicles, and 3D printed devices, I'm certain that you will not. Instead, you will listen to your employers pep talk, pass immediate judgment, and walk out.

Incidentally: Georgia Tech Wins DARPA MENTOR Program

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Total waste of money.. GTRI is run-of the mill

and so is DARPA, another crock of manure.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

What's better in life than building good things?

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

bloggs; the cranky uninspired half brother of Phil.

Reply to
amdx

That's the best part. The world as you know it was founded on that shit. WTF ?

Reply to
jurb6006

Not much. One has only to read "The Fountainhead" by Ayn Rand to understand the concept. Second best might be to actually benefit from building good things. Third might be helping others, such as college students, do the same.

I've done my share of designing, building, and supporting, various devices and products. It felt good and I am rather proud of my past work. I wish I could say the same of my later efforts, which were mostly cleaning up someone elses mess, damage control, design checks, project management (herding cats), corporate games, cheap junk, extreme cost cutting, and reverse engineering. I gave up design, and went back into the repair business, with a few short term consulting and entrepreneurial projects, where I've done better. Design is certainly rewarding, but making it all happen with someone else doing the design work, is ever so much easier.

When I entered college, I had decided that I was going to be an electronic engineer from the start. That was rather odd because I had never met a real working electronic engineer or had any clue what was expected from an engineer. I assumed that the boss would assign some important task, explain everything I needed to know about the project, and give me all the materials and tools I needed to do a proper design. I would work at a drafting table with T-square and triangles. My design would be built by a competent technician and work the first time. Upon completion, I would receive the undying praise of all involved. Right.

Well, things didn't quite work that way. Fortunately, I discovered reality sometime after graduation or I might have considered dropping out and taking my chances with the draft board. Since then, I've given a few talks to the graduating high skool seniors on what it is like to be an engineer (without the Also Sprach Zarathustra background music). Most of the students look like the crowd in the video. They're lost, confused, and don't know what's happening. They need all the encouragement they can get, including a pep talk by another student. Yet, the crowd looked far better than the mob of slackers that the high skools are producing these days. I suspect most of them are wishing they could do public speaking as well as Nick Selby (the student) in the video.

Engineering is not the easy road to riches or enlightenment. If a student wants to make money, there are better majors. If they can handle the risks, dealing drugs is probably more profitable. Enlightenment is also lacking, as it required a concerted and continuous effort to be an engineer. Go on vacation for a few weeks, and on your return, there are many new products and acronyms that must be absorbed. Try telling an engineering student that the studying doesn't end on graduation, and some will probably go shopping for an easier career.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

You're just a lower brain function kinda guy...

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Permagrump. Can't be much fun.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

The guy *designed* that speech. I suspect he'll be a good ME, too.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology Inc

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com

Precision electronic instrumentation Picosecond-resolution Digital Delay and Pulse generators Custom timing and laser controllers Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links VME analog, thermocouple, LVDT, synchro, tachometer Multichannel arbitrary waveform generators

WTF ?

He borrowed the whole script from his high school debate teacher. If you wa tched even a portion of the miserable Fox News interview, you would know th at. The words were unimportant, it was all gesture, emphasis, and a few buz zwords- typical carnival stuff. The kid is an idiot and Georgia Tech looks real bad ( well actually it explains a lot of what I've seen from some thei r graduates)- takes four years of repetition to teach them how to solve an LTI diff equation.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

He borrowed the concept.

If you watched even a portion of the miserable Fox News interview, you would know that. The words were unimportant, it was all gesture, emphasis, and a few buzzwords- typical carnival stuff. The kid is an idiot and Georgia Tech looks real bad ( well actually it explains a lot of what I've seen from some their graduates)- takes four years of repetition to teach them how to solve an LTI diff equation.

The kid is cool.

Closed-form solutions are a quaint remnant of the last millenium. They are basically useless in nonlinear systems, and the interesting systems are nonlinear.