It's Finally Come True

Conspiracists worst nightmare: the TV is recording you.

bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Use the Gesture Control feature to flip them off to let them know how you really feel.

Reply to
rev.11d.meow

How do you know its only voice ? If you can put a mike in there, surely you can put a video cam in there too ?

Probably even Samsung dont want to admit to that, yet.

--
Regards,

Adrian Jansen           adrianjansen at internode dot on dot net
Note reply address is invalid, convert address above to machine form.
Reply to
Adrian Jansen

It has a camera for "Gesture Control".

Reply to
rev.11d.meow

Only a fool wouldn't have seen that coming. Already watches to see for which commercials you "remain in the room" (vs. channel surf or "bathroom break"). And, you know *what* you watch has been "reported" for years, now.

[You *do* know that "commercials" are often replaced in targeted areas. Being able to *selectively* replace such things (only a matter of time) in individual homes will give advertisers the ability to manipulate their viewers even more effectively. Imagine the fun political money will throw at this "problem"! :> ]

As Terry L. was fond of saying: "Never trust an OS for which you don't have sources" (apologies if I misquote). So, never trust an *appliance* for which you don't have sources!

Reply to
Don Y

We record most everything, then watch, fast-forwarding thru commercials :-P ...Jim Thompson

SO do we but have noticed that if we go to the web to get a program (usually when it rains or when sports or the President runs long) the web version doesn't let you fast forward through the commercials they put on that version (they are different).

Reply to
krw

Wait until your refrigerator starts tattling on your eating habits!

Reply to
Don Y

Your refrigerator sends a email with your midnight snack ingredients to michelle.gov?

Reply to
krw

I don't even do that. I watch everything on the Internet. I think I'll Google something right now.... commercial free of course.

Oh, I watch on the Internet partly because there is no TV reception here other than possibly satellite, but I'm not sure even that would make it through the trees.

--

Rick
Reply to

Commercials? I don't see no stinking commercials!

--

Rick
Reply to

The wine refrigerator... >:-} ...Jim Thompson

Makes sense. You're deaf and dumb.

Reply to
krw

Just *hope* you don't, coincidentally, happen to have the same tastes in wine as "the bad people". This is the hazard of meta-data -- lumping you in with other groups based on statistical observations.

E.g., surely not *all* 18 year old males are "bad drivers". Nor all octogenarians. But, when you play the laws of big numbers, it's a reasonably safe bet (esp if you don't really care about the *individuals* involved!)

Reply to
Don Y

I was thinking of more of the closet people :)

Jamie

Reply to
Maynard A. Philbrook Jr.

They're not saying they are using your private conversations. They're just saying that they get transmitted. That's because the computation required to interpret commands is performed remotely.

Which is not to say that there's no risk - systems do get hacked.

Still, one would have to listen to, or somehow process, an awful lot of inane conversation just to find something remotely valuable. As privacy risks go, I'd say this one was pretty low.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

NSA must have to go through a lot of inane phone calls and emails with cat pictures, maybe it is just that they don't know what else to spend money on that they keep building huge data centers to do that

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

The whole point of the "off-site" processing is to convert that "audio" into "digital text" (of some sort). Once in that form, it's relatively easy to do with it!

A friend always thought that privacy wasn't an important issue. One day I asked why he pays extra to have his bank statements delivered in *envelopes* instead of printed on the back of a postcard. *Surely* the bank could save on printing and delivery costs if they handled all statements in this manner! (and, OF COURSE, those savings would be passed along to the customers??)

Note that most of these vendors are not very forthcoming with this sort of information. They provide only the notifications they are required, by law, to provide. They sure don't want to draw attention to these practices out of fear the consumer may opt for an implementation that

*doesn't* "snoop inside their home".

There are all sorts of Internet-of-Things devices in the pipeline that will expose even more of your life than your Internet search history, cell phone, etc. have, to date. Individually, they *may* be insignificant. But, in concert and with the advantage of "big numbers", they allow a lot of information to leak that you might not want to leak! Especially when that is rarely for your (genuine) benefit -- despite assurances that it is done to "improve the user experience" (aka sell you more stuff).

Reply to
Don Y

Shhh dammit. You'll blow the lid off the whole thing.

Reply to
jurb6006

You never heard of PRISM?

Reply to