pulse inverter design thing

So, inverting pulses with Schmitt trigger nand gates.

I've been messing around in LTSpice trying to make a circuit using the

4093 that has the following function:

Output is nominally high logic level, 5 volts. Input nominally low. Input goes high, output goes low. Input goes low again, output returns to high.

So in a perfect world, all I'd need is a single section of a 4093 Schmitt NAND wired as an inverter, easy.

But my world isn't perfect. The input rising edge from upstream might not be a perfect 5 volt square wave. It might be higher voltage than that. The input pulse might not be a very ideal square wave at all. It might frankly just be garbage with a rising edge.

So I was thinking that I would use something like the "gated one shot" circuit on page 4 of this application note:

to differentiate the incoming edges and then set/reset a flip flop. But I just don't seem creative enough today to figure this out. Any ideas?

Say you only have 3 4093 sections to work with.

Reply to
bitrex

Say you only use modern parts ?>:-} ...Jim Thompson

           The touchstone of liberalism is intolerance

Say I got about 50 of them in a box. :D

Reply to
bitrex

I believe they're the "HC" variety

Reply to
bitrex

So "G-job" ?

Define your problem more accurately. ...Jim Thompson

           The touchstone of liberalism is intolerance

But...if I do that someone might tell me a better way to do it that's not the way I think is the best way which isn't really the best way!

Reply to
bitrex

My approach to studying electronics: when working on various projects and I come to a stumbling block I post a sort of "challenge" thing, under-specify the requirements just enough so that the answer isn't spoon-fed to me (that's how you learn!), grab a drink and kick back while the regulars duke it out, then study the circuits presented and see which idea is most likely to be appropriate, and hopefully learn something in the process.

It works! It's fun!

Reply to
bitrex

That does allow the output to get into an ambiguous/incorrect state, and doesn't clean up garbage.

But

Why not RC filter the input signal, into a single Schmitt?

lunatic fringe electronics

Part of becoming an engineer is learning how to accurately define a problem. Looks like you aren't going to make it. ...Jim Thompson

           The touchstone of liberalism is intolerance

OK, we'll keep that in mind.

lunatic fringe electronics

Yeah but it's a bit hard of the "good will" of the "regulars".

Much better (from my perspective) is to define the problem as much as you can, then present your solution.. which didn't quite work. Both parts are important.

(You tell me why.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

See "Debounce_Switches.pdf" and "NoiseBlank.pdf" on the S.E.D/Schematics Page of my website. ...Jim Thompson

           The touchstone of liberalism is intolerance

Underspecified problems, especially deliberately underspecified, are too much work to think much about.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Cool!

Reply to
bitrex

I always have stand-up comedy to fall back on...

Reply to
bitrex

Don't give up your day job ;-) ...Jim Thompson

           The touchstone of liberalism is intolerance

Ah, my super-secret plan has been laid bare.

Reply to
bitrex