here

ce of

=3D1

e?

rt

hat

for

.

There doesn't seem to be much of it around now. Our neighbours are old enough that we go to a couple of funerals every year, but they seem to die of cancer rather than over-doses of illegal drugs.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

drugs.

Try making reasoned arguments about electronics, if you remember anything about that topic.

John

A conviently unprovable claim.

Given the trends in California weather and snowpack, my kids will be very happy about the consequences.

John

observed

drugs.

guy in

they

was

other

when

You, and the people alarmed about climate change, should try to personally reduce your carbon footprint.

"Sloman" gets pretty close.

I don't vote.

John

Germany had a much lower drug problems in the 80's and I happened to live smack at the border, on the Dutch side. Crossed it daily. So I had years of daily comparison.

I live in a rural setting quite similar to where I lived in NL. I don't even see anything remotely similar to the grief that I saw back there in the 80's. But again, as Nico hinted, that was the 80's, I do not know NL recently except as a visitor and those visits were too brief.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Demand is created by marketeers, but economists clearly don't need to know about marketing.

-- Failure does not prove something is impossible, failure simply indicates you are not using the right tools... nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)

Nico Coesel

A health policy doesn't have to be "self-consistent". What is should do is maximize health, whatever ways it can.

Law enforcement can work to reduce the availability of heroin, but it can't do anything about fried chicken.

John

This logic family:

is very fast. The fastest scope I have has a measured rise time of 1 nS and the output of a 7fAC00 with all 4 gates in parallel shows a ries time of just over 1 nS. It's only a 5 volt logic family, but it would give a very fast edge to drive something else, such as a 2N7000.

Reply to
The Phantom

:

S and the

over 1

e to

When those were brand-new I pressed a preliminary sample into service as a 100MHz linear amplifier.

Plenty fast, but they don't like that! I had to add a Vdd limiting resistor, otherwise they fry themselves.

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

happens

and

I don't suppose you have considered the carrier velocities in the material? Also as compared with Silicon?

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

-

and

Obviously. Predictions can only be "proved" by settling down and waiting for the predicted event to show up. This may not be the best way to react to the prediction that the climate is getting warmer, and that it is going to be getting warmer progressively faster if we don't curb our habit of burning fossil carbon and dumping the extra CO2 this produces into the atmopshere.

There's undeniable evidence that the global average temperature is rising more or less in step with the the CO2 level in the atmosphere. The temperature signal is noisy, but the long term trend is pretty obvious.

And we are putting more CO2 into the atmosphere every year, so the temperature is going to go up progressively faster.

If weather patterns remain more or less the same as the climate warms up - which isn't what the climate modellers expect - your kids may be lucky, but past episodes of global warming have involved some sudden and dramatic complications.

The rapid rise at the end of the last ice age gave us the "Younger Dryas" when the Gulf Stream turned off abrupty for 1300 years.

The Paleocene-Eocene Thermal Maximum, some 55.8 million years ago

managed to to free somewhere between 2500 and 6800 gigatons of carbon from what was probably methane ice in two separate, fairly rapid, bursts.

At the moment - by contrast - we seem to be injecting some 9 gigatons of fossil carbon into the atmosphere every year, roughly half of which is absorbed in the oceans and by terrestrial vegetation, while the rest boosts greenhouse warming. We seem to have added about 900 gigatons of carbon to the atmopshere since the start of the Industrial Revolution, which is rather faster than the "rapid" Paleocene-Eocene injections.

If we manage to hit whatever level it was that triggered the Paleocene- Eocene methane emissions we could be in for a very interesting time.

You make your predictions, and the scientific community makes theirs. They seem rather more likely to know what they are talking about, but taking them seriously involves making significant changes to the way we generate our electricly and power our cars.

Jared Diamond's book "Collapse" makes the point that the people who could have anticipated disasters in earlier societies mostly didn't.

eed

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

an

But spending loads of money on measures that don't do much to maximise health while ignoring cheaper - more effective - measures is the way the US has got itself a health care system that costs half as much again per head as the French and German systems while failing to deliver any better health care to the fully insured and rather poorer health care to the less well-off.

It can make an effort, but it doesn't seem to have made it difficult to get hold of.

In principle it could, but Prohibition demonstrated that banning stuff that people want doesn't stop them getting it. The War on Drugs has repeated the lesson, but US politicians seem to be very slow on the up- take.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

you observed

d from drugs.

The guy in

ough they

? This was

each other

y no when

drug"

st

ho

rs.

It would be quixotic waste of time.

I think you might need to learn how to use Google search.

That's a relief.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

observed

om drugs.

guy in

they

is was

other

when

If you had the attention span of a gnat, you might be able to remember that I do sometimes post about electronics.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

In other words, you put your faith in anecdotal evidence, and want to determine national policy on the basis of a few isolated local situations with which you happen to be familiar.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

You could fairly easily do something to stop the junk food industry targeting young children with adverts for extremely unhealthy foods for instance. The UK government is running scared of doing this at present. The industry wouldn't like it...

Self consistency is a good indicator of a reasonable policy. How else do you hope to maximise health amongst a population of couch potatoes so determined to eat themselve to death or illness? Obesity and morbid obesity are far too high and still rising.

Though it does help to keep the street prices high and quality low which causes additional problems. It is curious and ironic that there is actually a *shortage* of medicinal opiate based drugs at the moment.

No they are pretty good on the uptake of brown paper envelopes stuffed with used notes from the various lobbyists working for oil, coal, prison warehousing of offenders and junk food. BTW Whatever happened to that one caught red handed who was going to spill the beans?

Nowhere else on the planet has such an addiction to overdosing on high fructose corn syrup and dodgy modified trans fats. Industrial scale unhealthy diets designed to shorten life span sold to a gullible public.

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

John

Six years is not anecdotal. If I see people dying and become permanently brain-damaged all around me I know full well what that means. Of course, you can chose the head-in-the-sand strategy, maybe it makes those problems go away. Not.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

That's a nasty thing to say without proof. It's also selective--big labor, teachers' unions, and lawyers give more (in donations).

Last I looked--and it has been a bit--Canada had the world's highest per capita consumption of hydrogenated synthetic fats.

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

the

of

sil-

up and

gh to

OMG! Exxon and the black-hats have penetrated CERN !

Reply to
dagmargoodboat