Super fast sample & hold under $10?

Folks,

Need to sample stuff again. Essentially an equivalent time deal like on older generation digital scopes where you have a 20MHz or so ADC and GHZ-bandwidth on the scope. Can take as long as it has to but ... the sampling must be accurate and the sample gate should ideally close and open in a few hundred picosends, 1nsec at the most. So far I've always done this stuff in discretes, diode quads, brute-force driver, the usual. But this gets old and now I need something small and cheap.

Aren't there any ICs in that domain or am I the only one with such desires?

Also looking for a timer chip to run this but that's easier.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Am 05.02.2014 22:01, schrieb Joerg:

You are not the only one, I was looking for sth. like that also. You can get them if you buy a fast ADC on the same chip.

There is a fast T&H from Inphi, but not for $10. I have found nothing else. :-(

regards, Gerhard

Reply to
Gerhard Hoffmann

I did go through those but, as you hinted, anything in a reasonable price range only has a T&H that goes to 250MHz. One went to around

800MHz but was almost 50 bucks. And you can't get the signal out in an analog fashion but must use the ADC behind it. Plus sometimes those are only 8-bits and that's a bit low in dynamic range.

So, looks like I have to roll my own. Again. ...

I think I'll hop on my street bike now and pedal away the frustration. Always seems to help and sometimes I get some fresh ideas.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Well, if you don't mind biasing it yourself, there's the HFA3102.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Thanks. But that's just a transistor array, like using the old diode quad. I guess I'll have to roll my own again.

This would be the real deal:

However ... 300 bucks :-(

For my masters project I could still obtain pouches of four matched RF diodes each. That is becoming increasingly difficult and nowadays, while you can get low capacitance bridge quads from Skyworks and others, they are typically non-stock.

What always boggles my mind is this: The cost difference between making your own beer versus buying a 12-pack of the good stuff is maybe 1:3. Makes sense. For very fast S&H or T&H it is easily 1:50. Makes no sense.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

That's a nice chip. I can see a push pull with emitter limiter transistor application there.

Or maybe a gilbert cell, any one up for a mixer ? :)

Jamie

Reply to
Maynard A. Philbrook Jr.

The capacitances are nice and low, very few hundred femtofarads. Unfortunately it's a SO-14 package which introduces lots of inductance. On fast switches that can really get you.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Some ADCs have screaming fast multi-GHz front-end s/h speeds, intended for sub-Nyquist sampling of RF stuff. 1 ns isn't especially fast in that world.

Precision electronic instrumentation

For $10 ? Put me down for one.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Miller

AD9204-20 has 700 MHz s/h bw, maybe 500 ps, $5.

I'll put you down for two.

Precision electronic instrumentation

I have never done fast S/H, so I'll excuse my suggestion forehand:

Wrap the sample and hold around a very fast comparator, like the:

You probably need an open drain output type, let a cap ride on the output. Charge the cap, Then enable the comparator which in turn via a resistor discharges the cap and the comparator shuts of its own discharge. Start AD conversion.....

Cheers

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

Of course, the precision is perhaps not up to your requirements, since it has 150ps prop delay...

What is the requirement for accuracy?

Cheers

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

But when looking at the fine print in here ...

... it says quote "The user can sample any fs/2 frequency segment from dc to 200 MHz". Something doesn't seem to compute with the data on page

7 where the fastest version (AD9204-80) still requires 6.25nsec high phase for the clock. The -20 is 25nsec. How can they do 625MHz with that?

Do you know any cheap one that's faster? I sure wish that instead of all the no-connect pins they'd pipe out the analog output of the S&H so people could use it sans the ADC section.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

The problem is the switch, making the pulse is not a problem. The comparator doesn't have any switch but you must disconnect the cap from the signal source. Even Skyworks diodes are still 0.5pF (and unobtanium ...) which presents a ton of leakage at a GHz. Making a T or double-T switch out of something like that gets really big and unwieldy.

The prop delay does not matter. I need 100psec or so accuracy in pulse position but the delay is not a concern.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

The data sheet is a tad ambiguous about what that 700 MHz thing means.

The s/h may not actually exist as such inside.

Do you need a s/h alone, or could you use an adc with a fast s/h inside? There are probably more ads with fast front ends... I just nabbed that one as an example.

I don't quite understand the application.

Could you use a diode mixer and a narrow pulse generator? That could be cheap.

Precision electronic instrumentation

Sounds like a job for a couple of pHEMTs in cascode. The SKY65050 is a very nice device if its high 1/f corner (~50 MHz) doesn't worry you too much.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

We use SMS7621 diodes, around 0.25 pF. I can send you some.

A PHEMT might make an interesting series switch. They behave like jfets on steroids. An NE8509 has about 0.35 pF drain capacitance and is about 6 ohms Rds at zero gate bias. The capacitance could be "neutralized" with a balun transformer inverter and another cap, or some dual-phemt balanced thingie.

Precision electronic instrumentation

Small-signal? All the real data stops at 200 MHz.

Precision electronic instrumentation

"Analog input bandwidth is the analog input frequency at which the spectral power of the fundamental frequency (as determined by the FFT analysis) is reduced by 3 dB."

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

with the beer, you'll keep on drinking...

Reply to
haiticare2011