Super duper hype fast FET driver?

Your first post said capacitive load. Can you charge the load with one transistor, let it float, then drive it down with a 2nd transistor? Or does the output have to be hard the whole time?

+12v | | ||--' Q1 >----------|| 2n7002 ||>-. | | +-------->

| | ||--' Q2 >----------|| 2n7002 ||>-. | =3D=3D=3D

Q1 could be bootstrapped, or fed a separate non-overlapping drive, or.... There are lots of possibilities that are 1nS fast, but we don't know your parameters.

First-cut, LTSpice predicts 1.2nS fall time, as is.

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

If the upper chip is an inverter, the gate drive is almost free... just hold the inputs at some constant voltage and it takes care of itself.

John

You aren't normally known for heroic restraint, Vladimir, including putting somebody else's words in scare caps to avoid dealing with the point at issue.

What exactly _did_ you mean if not that?

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

--
Yeah, sure.

Nice dodge, but did you ever do, in the real world, what needed to be
done to prove that your stacking idea was right?

My guess would be that you didn't.

If I'm wrong, post your circuit.
Reply to
John Fields

next

shoestring

they're

The last board I designed really screams too. It's one of those 32MHz 8051 things. ;-) At least it's a SiLabs part.

BTW, I had a scan done on the board with the 13 ADI Iso-Power (180 and 300MHz chip-scale switching regulators). It looks pretty quiet! I'll take a closer look tomorrow but the worst stuff has at least a 20dB margin (maybe 30). It's odd because the worst frequencies are way too low to be the ADI things. I'll have to look closer.

The bad news: the thing I went up to test failed conducted emissions. The stupid wall wart evidently doesn't like to be unloaded (the thing draws

Reply to
krw

That's what I am doing right now, using N-channels for both directions. But the drive is iffy, there is only one digital signal available. The capacitive load needs to be held hard only when the bottom FET conducts. I'd have to make the upper drive signal and that's not easy because the high time can be controlled in a rather wide range.

Which SPICE model 2N7002 did you use? The Vishay one conked out on me every time I went to 4V drive or higher.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

next

shoestring

they're

Still need amplifier bandwidth.

OMG! I had one of those. It was green and about as ugly as that orange. I'm shocked that there are any left to laugh at.

Externally, perhaps not. No reason.

I've found that if I buy a crappy tool, I'll always have a crappy tool. I don't do that anymore. I even bought a Festool today. ;-) But I'm certainly not buying the boss a scope.

Reply to
krw

Not recently. But it did stick in my memory.

The point is that Joerg had split the thread by ruminating about an even more remote rural location, and I reacted to that. There's nothing immoral about splitting a thread, even if it does take the subject away from an area where you can - legitimately - present yourself as an expert and boost your fragile self-image.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

Don't hold your breath ;-) ...Jim Thompson

[On the Road, in New York]

Ok, that almost sounds like a deal. Being a bit slower can be made up by more drive gusto. Eight means more amps than three. Just like the old muscle car wisdom, cubic inches cannot be replaced by anthing, except by more cubic-inches :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Trying to recall my model comparison of a few years ago... Supertex, IIRC, was the best model. ...Jim Thompson

[On the Road, in New York]

[...]

Test drive one of those Taiwanese/Chinese scopes. You may be in for a real surprise. The handbook of mine is rather skimpy, like with most Asian electronics products. The first few weeks I discovered a new feature almost daily. Especially in all those codes that it understands for remote control.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Unfortunately, the alternative explanation of religious experience is that the God you are acquainted with is a sub-set of your own personal intellectual apparatus.

From a scientific point of view, this is a sufficient explanation of what is going on. Parapsychology involves the scientific exploration of whether there could be anything else going on, and so far the answer is that there's no persuasive evidence for anything else.

".

Agreed.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

Liters are even better!

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

But you can't have as many. Somehow 427 cubic inches sounds so much faster than 7 litres.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

data

I did. The techs in production have them. Eeek!

Reply to
krw

That's all right, just split it up and make two (if timing permits).

Only the edge-timing matters, right?

Fairchild, NDC7002N.

--James

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Why are you so threatened by kicking ideas around? This is a discussion group, and you seem to want certainty about everything.

Ideas happen when people brainstorm. Ideas are killed by wet blanket carping.

I can't possibly breadboard all the ideas I have; I have too many of them. I mostly build them when I actually need them, or sometimes just for fun, but only if they are supercool.

The stacked ACT buffer thing would probably need a PC board to test properly, and that's a lot of time and cost for an idea without a serious, immediate need.

Joerg may have such a need. So I suggested the idea.

We did recently breadboard and test using octal ACTs as output drivers, and that's going into two products.

John

lly I

, and I

h-burning?

nd

stone-age

al

ity

ens

+...

i...

!

came

chers,

red

d from

ly,

.

Being a "sex worker" is a legitimate job in the Netherlands, and people coming from those eastern European countries that are now part of the recently extended European Union don't need any kind of residency permit anyway.

Make it legal and regulate the hell out of it. The Dutch don't yet inspect brothels as aggressively as they now inspect fire-works depots and chemical plants ... the risk of spreading sexually transmitted diseases worries the neighbours less than the risk of loud explosions or clouds of poisonous gas.

Prostitution, drugs, alcohol, tobacco and abortion are all services/ products that get provided whether or not they are legally permitted. Banning them is just political posturing.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

nally I

ng, and I

tch-burning?

and

er stone-age

rial

is

laity

ozens

er+...

Tri...

te!

t came

eachers,

try

he red

ked from

ally,

re.

ht

ou

It's a popular delusion that bans work. But restrictive France has a bigger problem with drugs than the not-all-that permissive Netherlands.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman