Super duper hype fast FET driver?

Yes, I've been down that psychic rabbit-hole too. Like anyone, I can set up mental simulations of many people I've never even met, and with enough time, become convinced they're real, as happened when I was converted.

That's just not true. Science indicates there never was a time when the world was good, when the lion lay down with the lamb, and there never will (or should) be. It was simple and became complicated; that's the arrow of time; it's not a description of a process of corruption, which monotheists call sin. The idea of the fall is the most pernicious evil ever to befall humankind, immensely damaging to societies and individuals alike. The attempt to recreate or return to a situation that never did and never can exist is a total waste of time and effort. We must look forward to what can be, not backward.

Christianity moreover almost totally destroyed science, as known to the Greeks and Romans, and it was left to the Muslims to preserve and extend it. Seriously - Europe had even forgotten how to build arches! Europe only rediscovered science in the 12th century or so, for example when the great library of Toledo was opened and found to be full of books in a Latin from which 50% of the words, and 95% of the concepts had been lost. The universities were founded upon the attempt to re-learn the knowledge of the ancients - and even that was only possible because religious authority (and even royal authority) was beginning to be questioned.

The relevance? Oh, I see, your ideology doesn't allow you to conceive of of a person who has lived inside the kind of loving Xian community you do, and who has now left and is adamantly opposed to their conception of truth, who is not also eaten up by guilt, loathing and spiteful thoughts - but is instead happy, productive, well-adjusted, and leading a highly ethical life. I suppose I should feel offended by your prejudice, but I've worn those blinkers too. Now I just feel mellow about it. It was a happy time with good sincere people, even though their lives were being sapped by trying to re-create an unreality.

Sorry your barbs didn't stick. I've been where you are, spent years in many different kinds of Christian communities and experienced all they had to offer, and now I'm profoundly sure that you're wrong. I'm not bitter at all, though I do think my time might have been better spent elsewhere. It's not that I'm an atheist; I'm far from that confident. It's just that the ideas of theism don't and cannot answer any question I care about.

Anyhow, this isn't really the place to continue this discussion. I also have written more on the subject, elsewhere, though I don't publish much of it.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Not to mention that it is currently providing the bullets and explosives that are being used to blow up Americans and others in Afghanistan. You're bleeding money out the front door paying to send soldiers to the war, and out the back door paying the Taliban to fight against you. No wonder the country's bankrupt...

Reply to
Clifford Heath

I got on the plane to England on the 12th March 1971, and didn't get back at all until some ten years later, and then only for for a couple of weeks at a time every few years. I did write home every week, and my parents replied equally regularly, but they didn't have much to say about anything was going on in Melbourne that didn't directly affect them.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

Why not? Did you simply choose not to take drugs? But those you observed had no choice?

I wonder who forced them to use drugs?

Reply to
John S

Everybody had that choice. I chose to say no.

Nobody. But some people's will power is not high enough to say no when stuff is highly available. That's why drug problems in "free drug" countries are usually massively worse than elsewhere.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

If you really believe that, then it is like me arguing against a religion. I concede that I cannot win against faith.

Reply to
John S

You do not believe that people have different levels of will power?

Regarding the drug problems, that has nothing to do with what I believe. I have lived in both kinds of countries for many years. Living there gives you a much better insight than any biased or even unbiased media pieces.

Have you lived overseas and see for yourself?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Right. It's a simple matter of public safety. We can't let professional designer-drug experts prey on people with limited resources of self-control.

John

Not at all. It's a matter of preventing a great deal of very real public harm, a matter of protecting the young and the weak against professional predators.

John

What happened to the "Just Say NO" campaign?

Reply to
John S

Weak, irresponsible and stupid don't survive. That is what they call an evolution. I would be more concerned about protection against professional champions for the public good.

Reply to
Vladimir Vassilevsky

That's a pretty mean attitude.

John

ved

ugs.

in

Legalising soft drugs drop the profit margin on supplying them, and makes the people who supply the drug a part of the community.

Nobody talks about liquor store owners, Starbucks, or the people who sell cigarettes as "professional predators".

They do have an interest in selling more of their - addictive - products, but they are better integrated into their communities than dealers in illegal drugs and have more to lose if they are seen to trying to encourage people into addiction.

Lenny Bruce used to claim that the war on drugs represented a conspiracy between the FBI and Maffia to keep the price of drugs high. It's a bit too close to the truth for comfort.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

ed

gs.

So much for the tobacco industry.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

But realistic. US society protects people - none too effectively - against the illegal drugs of addiction, but does nothing to prevent them eating themselves into lethal obesity or drinking themselves to death. you might want to think about what a self-consistent public health policy might look like.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

We know next to nothing about the pathologies of obesity. When doctors take insulin production into account it begins to look like carbs,

*all* carbs contribute mightily to it - and a "healthy diet" as it's presently advertised by gummint is thick in carbs.

I've dropped 20 pounds myself by emphasizing frozen veggies and meat and cutting back on carbs.

A truly self-consistent public health policy would be *FAR* too invasive.

-- Les Cargill

Reply to
Les Cargill

Wrong. In the case of cigarettes, I call them predators and murderers. And I'm not alone.

John

They are running the experiment right now in Northern California. The people who participate are making pretty good money.

The tobacco companies? Yeah, they do.

Economists know that demand largely exists independent of supply...

-- Les Cargill

Reply to
Les Cargill

Grandfathered in, unfortunately. And the states have been bought off, so are now willing partners in the killing machine.

John

Then explain why you're still here.

Michael A. Terrell