a little snow left

Still snow on the peaks in August, above Donner Lake, about 8000 feet up.

ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/Glacier_Way_Donner_Lake.jpg

John

Looks like a great area for a hike !!

boB

Reply to
boB

On a sunny day (Wed, 17 Aug 2011 19:16:59 -0700) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

Have not seen any snow since we got digital TV.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

No snow but the pic(ture) on mine freezes occaisionally.

Reply to
Dennis

Dennis wrote in news:1uSdnTERsrS5b9HTnZ2dnUVZ_t- snipped-for-privacy@westnet.com.au:

all in all,I'm very satisfied with the performance of my OTA digital TV converter and homemade quad bowtie anntenna. A clear picture,several new channels that I didn't get before,and the subchannels are great when Comrade Obama preempts airtime,because the local networks shift the main channel's programming to the subchannel while Comrade Obama blathers and lies.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

It is, but being in shape at sea level doesn't translate directly to being in shape at 8000 feet. The pressure is about 75% of sea level, and that's starting to be noticeable. Not to mention all the ups and downs they deposit on the trails in the mountains. We need more flat mountains!

If this snow doesn't melt by about November, I guess that, technically, we'll have glaciers again.

John

Is is allowed / wise to just walk around in such an area? Over here it is impossible to get lost in a forrest but over there you'll need some preparation.

Before you hike you should see this movie and then decide whether it is a good idea:

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

Sure. The USA is enormous, and most public lands have free access for hiking or climbing or camping. And it's easy to fall off a cliff or get swept over a falls or get frozen to death by an un-seasonal storm or mauled by a bear or a wildcat. This is the Wild West.

We hiked this yesterday,

a very rugged trail above Cascade Lake. And we met a bunch of people with dogs/kids/walking canes. This is just a few miles east of the Pacific Crest Trail, which runs along the spine of the Sierras from Mexico to Canada.

I was crossing over the creek, jumping between rocks, and managed to fling my little Nikon Coolpix camera into the air, where it bounced off a boulder and fell into two feet of running water. I managed to reach it, but the battery/memstick compartment had popped open, the batteries were gone, and it was full of water. No more pix! We left it in the sun for a couple of hours (humidity is very low up here) and it seems fine. This is the same camera I lost in the snow, after falling off a box skiing features at Sugar Bowl, and it was found and returned to me a couple of days later.

I should always carry spare batteries. Photographers used to lug a camera and a bag full of film, and now they lug a camera and a bag full of batteries.

Too serious! At our ages, we like day hikes, cold beer and hot burgers, warm beds and hot showers.

John

"John Larkin" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Are there marked tails out there? Or is it just mark a destination on the map and go for it. I like the Bicycle GPS's. their small and easy to carry. I wouldn't want to get stuck in the Sierra Nevada's with out being prepared.

Martin Riddle

On a sunny day (Thu, 18 Aug 2011 10:33:42 -0500) it happened Jim Yanik wrote in :

I would not want to use 'comrade' in one sentence with Omama, that would be insulting to the Russians and Chinse. You are going to need their help a lot,

1 for space access and 2 for bailing you out.

He and his policies is just a little war maker, he now manages to create war all over the east, and is working very hard in other places too. The way he treats allies by making them into enemies is so stupid, not seen since the last emperor of the Roman empire. I was thinking today if and when he will set fire to Washington, like Nero did to Rome. He really makes you long for Bush. Did not know that was possible, but GWBush was more fun.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

The stuff we do is maybe half sort-of marked trails, with the trailhead near a road or in a campground. We generally hike up, so the way home is pretty much to hike down. The Pacific Crest Trail has occasional markers, one every few miles, but the trail itself is pretty obvious. The trails we do are pretty well trafficed, so are not hard to spot. Not deep wilderness stuff.

Skiiers, especially snowboarders who like to ski in the trees, occasionally get off the trails, down on the wrong side of the mountain, and wander the woods for a few days, get found or die. Last season, a girl died in the woods, probably impacted in the bowl of a tree. A guy I knew got off the trail on the backside of Alpine, and they found him crazy but alive three days later.

California isn't big on guard rails, either. We had more guard rails on the roads in Louisiana, where it's perfectly flat.

A hiking GPS would be cool. Any recommendations?

John

Watch his head. It scans left and right constantly, +-30 degrees or so, metronome mode, to alternate the teleprompters. Even in little town-hall meetings.

They are calling the head of the Executive TOTUS. Teleprompter of the United States.

John

I use this one, but it's getting a bit long in the tooth. Maybe there are some good newer ones? Would also appreciate recommendations.

Note: Unless they've changed things fairly recently, these things don't come with ANY useful map installed (just a very, very crude "base map" that only has the largest roads), quite unlike even inexpensive automotive GPS receivers. The maps are not particularly cheap.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Me, too, but I'm like 15 or so miles line-of-sight from the antenna farm on Mount Baldy; I have a folded dipole about 8" long by about 1" "wide" soldered to my balun. I have to shift it around sometimes, to exploit all the reflections and crap, but when I find the sweet spot, it works just fine. :-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I did notice around the '04 campaign, all the comedy writers were for him (Bush), because it made their job so much easier. ;-)

I was kind of surprised that there was such silence from the same folks around '08 - probably they were all afraid of the race card.

Now that the race card and the Blame Bush card are wearing thin, it's "safe" to notice what a threat to the USA he is.

But, one has to notice the silver lining here - he has united almost the entire country under the banner of Liberty.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Well, when you release a GPS line with Golf maps. You might as well packup the shop.

;)

Martin Riddle

Enuf to ski on?

Jim

Reply to
RST Engineering

No. I did ski SugarBowl on July 4, which is possible about once a decade or so.

ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/July_4_Bikini.jpg

ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/July_4_Skiiers.jpg

ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/July_4_Mud.jpg

John

If that movie doesn't convince you, "Deliverance" sure will.

"That sure is a purty mouth"

Reply to
Dennis

John Larkin schrieb:

Hello,

to have a real glacier, you will need some decades in sequence with snow lasting up to November.

Bye

Reply to
Uwe Hercksen