Heathkit...

... is apparently back in the kit buisness-

Now, if they bring back the SB101 life will be perfect :)

H.

Reply to
Howard Eisenhauer

I built an SB301 when I was in high school (built my own transmitter). Nice.

Reply to
krw

Send a suggestion via the website.

Martin Riddle

Heathkit, Eico, Knight kits (was that Lafayette electronics?), Dynakit... did I miss any? Loved them all and learned a lot by building them. Very fond memories. My first scope was one from Eico which took me about two months to build - all point to point on terminal strips and 12AU7 tubes. Only piece of test equipment I had was a basic VOM. Everything else in the shop was assembled from a kit. Building a FM stereo demultiplexer was easy. Aligning it was the hard part without a lot of good test equipment at the time. I finally got the idea to hook left and right channels to x and y scope inputs and align for anything other than a slanted line.

Reply to
Oppie

Knight Kit was from Allied Electronics.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Well, the name might be. You can buy radios that say "RCA" on them too, e.g.

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

The radio on my garage workbench is a Heathkit FM receiver I built in

1970. I also have a small DC power supply and audio tone generator I use occasionally.

One of my kits had a mismarked electrolytic capacitor, which blew up in my face when I powered the thing up. The Heathkit location in LA rebuilt the whole thing free.

What I would like to see them offer is a web-accessible lawn sprinkler controller so I can shut the sprinklers off when it rains and I am out of town.

Reply to
Richard Henry

Wow! In high school I was far away from the financial conditions that would have required. I made money doing tough work at a meat processing plant and repairing radios and TV sets. Then scraped together about $300 to buy a pretty beat up HW100 with a kludged transformerless Cockroft-Walton style supply. Still have it. Other than needing a fresh set of (by then pricey) tubes at xx years it was very good to me.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

IIRC Knight kits were from Allied Electrinics. Art

Reply to
Artemus

The SB301 wasn't a lot more than $300 ($350?). I guess we were better paid, as kids. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Prices in Europe were a lot higher. So anything that started with SB was totally positively off limits. Things starting with H were less expensive. But as a kid, unaffordable. I did build a lot of kits for others though, usually took over when things were hopelessly screwed up. Gratuity was delivered in bottles :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Nice.

So, that's how you became a lush? :-)

Reply to
John S

Nice.

What isn't?

IIRC, the 'H' series was about 50% of the 'S' series. To me, the receiver was far more important (and difficult to get right) than the transmitter, so I put all my pennies into that. ;-) I got bored with the whole thing about the time I went to college, so sold the receiver for about what I paid for it. I was married, so needed the money. ;-)

Reply to
krw

... is apparently back in the kit buisness-

Now, if they bring back the SB101 life will be perfect :)

H.

I looked at there website, they're nothing like they used to be. It's not the same company, just some company using the name.

Shaun

Reply to
Shaun

No. It is the same company. After they stopped selling their consumer line of kits, they kept making some kits for the educational market. They have had a web presence for a long time.

Michael A. Terrell

Dynakit...=20

Southwest Technical Products and Paia. Plus i built some stuff straight out of Popular Electronics in the 1960s.

My=20

all=20

assembled=20

the=20

got=20

align=20

Reply to
josephkk

"Tiger! Tiger! burning bright..." (with some slight apologies to William Blake)

-- Dave Platt AE6EO Friends of Jade Warrior home page:

I do _not_ wish to receive unsolicited commercial email, and I will boycott any company which has the gall to send me such ads!

Reply to
Dave Platt