Super duper hype fast FET driver?

Near Huntsville? You've got to be kidding ...

Baptists and Lutherans get along quite well, and I love their choirs. They can make the rafters shake.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

It must really stick in his craw when he learned that a good many of the ECL/PECL parts he buys from AZMicrotek were designed by yours truly ;-) ...Jim Thompson

[On the Road, in New York]

solution,

Why would that bother me? You seem to be OK at linear IC design.

I think we buy one part from AZM, a PECL/TTL converter, and few of those. The rest of their stuff is too slow. And we don't do much ECL any more; the gates inside an FPGA are a lot faster at 1/1000 the cost.

And I wouldn't use that AZM part in a new design; there are faster and cheaper ways to do it.

John

action.

bit

solution,

I think I am going the old 2N7002 plus transformer route, still hoping to find faster ones along the way. Maybe some dual-gate FETs.

But: Now I need complementary drives with gusto, to do the ping-pong drive. 5V min, sub-nsec transitions, source impedance each 20ohms or less. Ok, I could concoct something around 5GHz+ BJTs but when the guys see all that they are going to get sick.

What's the brute force logic du jour these days if one wants to stay clear of FPGA and in particular BGAs? LVC? The datasheets are flimsy, no rise and fall times, no info what it looks when loading the output to the hilt, only prop delays.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Have you used any of the SiGe logic parts? eg.

40ps rise/fall.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

current,

more

action.

bit

solution,

Wouldn't a fortune cookie factory be more likely to have a grain of rice on the front wall?

Reply to
krw

Slowman is never shy about his ignorance.

Yup (wife belongs to a Baptist church here). She's not in the choir, though. She doesn't like the director.

Reply to
krw

current,

more

action.

bit

Getting

solution,

At least it'll be super-duper feng shui'd :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

current,

more

action.

bit

Getting

solution,

The building was plastered with the arguably racist signs like

ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/Lotus.jpg

but the Louie family put them up, so I guess it was an inside joke or something. Edward Louie invented the fortune-cookie making machine in

1974.

ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/Fortune_Cookie_Machine.jpg

Good book: The Fortune Cookie Chronicles, all about Chinese food and the Chinese restaurant industry.

John

And the rise/fall times are in the datasheet, in contrast to regular logic.

Now if they had 5V swing I could drive my FETs with these ... :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Yes, we've use the GigaLogic parts, but they are very expensive. If all you need is fast edges, and not logic, consider an ADCMP582.

John

current,

more

action.

bit

solution,

Email me if you want to see our gate driver circuit.

John

current,

more

switches,

action.

a bit

Getting

Or

:-(

solution,

Looks like a fortune cookie with eyes.

Is that your SMT line now?

Reply to
krw

isn't that what the ibis models are for?

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

current,

more

switches,

action.

a bit

Getting

Or

:-(

solution,

Yikes. Did anyone ever dare to stand on that balcony? I'd put up a sign "Max load 0.1 ton".

Is it still there somewhere?

We had lunch at our Japanese place. Lagunitas IPA on tap, yumm. Recently they started handing out fortune cookies, too. But I prefer the Korean ice cream.

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Can I interest you in 6 volts, hard 560 ps rise/fall, 12 cents?

ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/ABneg.jpg

ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/Rise.jpg

John

Real datasheets should have that in there. Just like they do for really fast ECL stuff.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Shazam! That does look impressive.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

few

than a

current,

of a

uses.

more

switches,

action.

a bit

Getting

Or

wid

of

:-(

solution,

It's a fire escape, and it's scary to stand on. Then there's a rickety ladder that goes up to the roof, and it's frankly terrifying to climb up... I've only done it once.

The Louies got out of the business. Their cookies were delicious but couldn't compete with imports. They found a Chinese food magnate in Brazil who wanted the machines so they disassembled them, marked every piece (sort of like the old London Bridge) and reassembled them in Brazil. They left us with outrageous 3-phase power and natural gas feeds.

We had Japanese for lunch, too, unagi and salmon rolls, but no beer for me; puts me to sleep if I have beer with lunch.

John

At least his invention lives on and hopefully he got a nice vacation in Brazil out of it.

[...]

But then how could I ever buy you burger and beer at Zeitgeist? :-)