Simple way to bind wires, without ties

This is a MIME-encoded message.

--==_=_====____40935.8644999884502124CD==

I developed this simple method (it's a no-brainer when you think about it) and have been using it for years. One use is for quickly binding leftover wire, after cutting, without any sort of binding material. But there are jillions of other uses. The same method can be used for tying up wire that is in use. Just fold the excess wire, grab the end of that fold, and then tie it one time. If there is a lot of excess, you can fold it (however many times) before tying it. I will include a tiny picture attachment, and the method is shown clearly in the YouTube video linked to at the bottom of this post, but I will try to explain it here. For the tiny picture, I used "MIME" because somebody complained about "yEnc" last time.

Take a wire of whatever sort that is about 4 feet long. Fold it in half. Fold it in half again. Now it is 1 foot long. Grab both ends and tie the first loop of a square knot. That's it. It stays stuck together in a much more compact and easy to manage form.

It might not work for delicate studio sound or video wire, but it works for 99% of wire.

That one is more to the point, but if it don't work...

--==_=_====____40935.8644999884502124CD== Content-Type: image/jpeg; name="tying cables.jpg" Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

/9j/4AAQSkZJRgABAQEAYABgAAD/4QAWRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAAAAAAAAAD/

2wBDAAgGBgcGBQgHBwcJCQgKDBQNDAsLDBkSEw8UHRofHh0aHBwgJC4nICIs IxwcKDcpLDAxNDQ0Hyc5PTgyPC4zNDL/2wBDAQkJCQwLDBgNDRgyIRwhMjIy MjIyMjIyMjIyMjIyMjIyMjIyMjIyMjIyMjIyMjIyMjIyMjIyMjIyMjIyMjIy MjL/wAARCACUAKsDASIAAhEBAxEB/8QAHwAAAQUBAQEBAQEAAAAAAAAAAAEC AwQFBgcICQoL/8QAtRAAAgEDAwIEAwUFBAQAAAF9AQIDAAQRBRIhMUEGE1Fh ByJxFDKBkaEII0KxwRVS0fAkM2JyggkKFhcYGRolJicoKSo0NTY3ODk6Q0RF RkdISUpTVFVWV1hZWmNkZWZnaGlqc3R1dnd4eXqDhIWGh4iJipKTlJWWl5iZ mqKjpKWmp6ipqrKztLW2t7i5usLDxMXGx8jJytLT1NXW19jZ2uHi4+Tl5ufo 6erx8vP09fb3+Pn6/8QAHwEAAwEBAQEBAQEBAQAAAAAAAAECAwQFBgcICQoL /8QAtREAAgECBAQDBAcFBAQAAQJ3AAECAxEEBSExBhJBUQdhcRMiMoEIFEKR obHBCSMzUvAVYnLRChYkNOEl8RcYGRomJygpKjU2Nzg5OkNERUZHSElKU1RV VldYWVpjZGVmZ2hpanN0dXZ3eHl6goOEhYaHiImKkpOUlZaXmJmaoqOkpaan qKmqsrO0tba3uLm6wsPExcbHyMnK0tPU1dbX2Nna4uPk5ebn6Onq8vP09fb3 +Pn6/9oADAMBAAIRAxEAPwDUB5p+aro1P3UgJc0u7ioQaduJoAkV8mnnNVJr gW654zVB9dCttKUCNnqab1OM1mR6xGx54qVdQhYnmgC224E45pokPcc1CLyP PU05ZkfoaBEwcU4PntUWB1pDJt5PQUDJ9xNOBHaqn2tRnrUX9ohW24oGjQKi jaG4qn/aKqfmqaK7ikPDUgJzEp70ww+hqXIPINITQBC0bDpTNrA1YyRSfWgC IbhRuPpUwpMCgCgucU7NOppFUAoeneZgVFtqOQEDjmgRVvpRJJjPaue1VZop FdAxFatwSJmPSkMsbrtcj8aQzBivyGw/ArVt7uNwOaZNpcUh3AAg1AdLaLmN vwFIRqHdjdG+fakF8UbawKtVCJ7mE4aM49athFufvjDetAGjDeyAZPK0jXLz c5woNVh8q/Mdqr696hXzbhyqgrHnqKBliW9WNtqAsai+0TuciL9KkxBZrlyC fU1VfxDaxNjeBTAlNxMp+eI4+lSx3COfkJRvemxazBMFJ5B6GpHigugTGQje 1AFy0vniba53ZrVSQONwPFc1FMYJRDL+BrRtroCUDkLnHNAGtnkmnVET0xTt 1AD6KZmjNAisvXNKaaDgUZNMA7UxlyDT8568Uxj6UAZ9xb7uaz5bfBzW04zV OSPrzSApxyNGMN0qYOkg4NDRDHSomhB5BxQIdIrgDBzViNcKCwwe9VI0feFz kVZuXMcHPWkMgk3XdwEX7i9aW8vY7KHavGKch+zWxc/ebmuZv2murj5fug0D I7yW/vSCv3D2pkQitT++jIJ71fgkeMANH+VaKLDdR7XVT7YoArQXluEACrit KO6twud3FY9z4eKP51uxI7rmpYdPLxjEhBHagDVlhW7TKP8AMOh9KW3V04cn IFUMTWxBOceorQjuRIoDDH+0KANu0kEkAyeR1qdelZ1i4SQoeh71fHFMCTNG ab2pM0CKu40FmowM0vFADC5HWk305wCBTcUgGFsmoX5NWCophUHtTArmo2UY NWWjqIrzigCGAZlAz0qO8/eXaRZp8YxMaiQh9QyR0oAj1InaI1PbFZUMckDk vhhWjfNmYiqLOwJ5oGTwSJI3zce1WWtMrvgOGrMLAnPf2q1BcvDj5iQaQF62 uXQ+VOMEd/WpJrcOvmRcNSRNHdoFbrTo2a3l8tjlfU9qAGwOJCY5l+b0ps8B gO9PudxTryE/66P746mpYJluoeevQimBPEcxApzjkGtGGTzIw1ZNqfJlMR6H pVuJzHIYx9RSQGhu4pariQkdKXe3pTERZozTM0uaAHZoxSZozQAGmd6cTTaL ANY1E3FSPxULng0ARRYMzZqvDxfsO9SxsBNz3qvcSC3v0c9DxQAy6Xdc1XeE E4qxeHFwj9jTiM4oApGAA9KYVK9BmrrjJxUTJjgUgGQyGJ1Yde4rXXZdQ9fm rHI+bGKsWFyY7jY3SgZft5DuMEn0qtGptb5oz91zkVZu1KMso7GodQU/uZ/Q 80xFqUAhXXqKmibNwrN6VFjdag+1ELbmXPUUAaihafgVXRsjFTg8UAUwaM03 NL6UDHZpc03vTqAA02nGmmmA1hmoJBwamOe1QyZwaBFNhtlU9qh1WMyRo69j nNTy/d96Vz51qV74oArzJ5tojjlgKigmyNrdRT7KVSr27nBGaqTxmKfA6dqQ Fw55pqKXOAPxp1sryf6zgVMHVMpGMn1oAieIR54y1QPD5LpK3BJq+sYjG5zk msbVbxnnhSIZG8Z/OkM6K4Ae1+oqreEto5bvtq2//Hkv0qjdSBNMCH+LigRc gb/QwPYUy3OJKWIbbQfSktuWzTA0EOKlD8VAtSDpQBAOTTqYDTgaAHCnUynZ oAWjFJmjNADWAqMgc5qQketMbGKAKU6/3agiYo5B6GrchHc1X8gN8xOMUDKN 1bSG6SSDr3q6URQGmwWAqO5u44F4qhG8+oykLlEFAi41y1w/lQDjvVuONIFz 3I5qONYrWPJxkdTVd5ZLttsfCetADpZ2nfZGcgdarG2X7Wijkk5NXCkdtFu9 OvvTbKLezTtxnpQM0bhgtuq1lzjzpkhHRTyKnvrkLgA5PYCm2kW1fMc/Meea BFuRtsQTFPhAGCBiq4kDycHNXIhhRQBZXtT8CmKwAp+aAKmcClU0xeaeBigB 2aAaZmgGgCTOaDUbSqo5NQPdAKcUATlwAeaiabtVKW5CDLNVOW/LcRg0AXp7 iOPlmqlNfSSZES0xLWS4bdIavRwRwLkigZSg043DebcMQPSrpkitI+wAqtd6 kkHCjOeBiq9tDLdSGSY5jPQGlcRKN967BsiL19auuUghG3AAFNZkhXCAAAVk z33nOU2naKYFvc95LtPEYq3JcLbx7Ae2AKzo5ZWjxEmD0zSR2E8shMjk0DJI mVpPMlbnsKt7ncYX7tMj0wk/Mc1ox2+0BaBENpb7Tk9a0QvGKbHDhqsqlAEe 2nc1JsxS7RQBRXgUuaj3YprygKT6CgB7yKo5NVJLsnpwKqNcmVjgjFReTLIT hsUgJJbxV75qq11JMdsYNTrp4By5zViOKOMYVRmgCpHZyN80h/CrUduicgCp c9qQA9qYAWI4HFITkYbmg8daFOwZNICBdOQS+a3IPY1IzBTtHAq1u/d5FUJe WpAIzbwV9sU6K1TAJUCnxR55Aq7HGcU0A2KFQvAzVmOMEdKaMrwBUyAgUwHp GMmniIZzihWwelSA5NAAox2pwOaM+9LQAUUUcUAZDGoZidpHtRRQBkMdr4Hr UolZRkUUUmBLA7M5yatjoaKKQBSnoaKKYEYNIx4oooAmTmLmqY/1poopAXIe lWh0oopoCRakFFFMCTvSjrRRQA6nL0oooAWiiigD/9m=

--==_=_====____40935.8644999884502124CD==--

Reply to
John Doe

That's not a square knot, that's an overhand knot.

--
?? 100% natural
Reply to

Does it only work for four-foot wires? Mine are measured in metric.

What about two meters?

Reply to
fungus

It's the first part of a square knot. But I practice concise wording, so instead of "the first part of a square knot" I will use "an overhand knot".

Plus or minus one foot.

That might require another fold. The number of folds depends on the length of the wire. One sticking point is that the last fold occasionally leads to a wire that is too short and stiff to make an overhand knot. So your tied up wire might be a little longer than desirable. Sometimes I go to the trouble of folding the wire into one thirds instead of the last two folds. That is a hassle, but it makes for slightly more compact storage, still without needing ties on hand.

Reply to
John Doe

And by the way... You're welcome.

Reply to
John Doe

Nope. A square knot isn't tehnically a 'knot' at all, it's a 'bend' - used to joint two pieces of rope together (or two ends of the same rope if it's wrapped around something).

A 'knot' is tied in the center of piece of rope, usually as a stopper to prevent the rope from passing through a hole though which it's been threaded.

The 'overhand knot' is the correct term for what's being tied here.

The more you know...

PS: The 'sheet bend' gets the terminology right and is also far more secure than a 'square knot' (which a dangerous knot and often unties itself

- do not use except for tying parcels).

=3D=3D=3D=3D

The thing that bothers me most about this post is that some numpty genuinely thinks he's invented something new - tying knots in a cable!

He's only one step away from patenting his brilliant new idea...

(and the way the patent office is run these days they'd probably accept it as a new invention).

Reply to
fungus

Nobody I have showed my method to has said that they have seen it before, including people massively more experienced than this nym-shifting asshole.

fungus wrote:

news.astraweb.com!border6.newsrouter.astraweb.com!npeer03.iad.highwinds-media.com!news.highwinds-media.com!feed-me.highwinds-media.com!postnews.google.com!q8g2000yqa.googlegroups.com!not-for-mail

GMT)

posting-account=gLolegoAAAC00kFSw5zQA_tVgjwJpNvY

Firefox/9.0.1,gzip(gfe)

Reply to
John Doe

The modern folk use Velcro wrap ties.

Inside a chassis, the old mil way works, and I like it better than nylon ties, because they generally have bulging, sharp protrusions at the tie point.

Reply to
Pueblo Dancer

I am impressed by how a person's big ego can prevent him (or her) from showing appreciation for a good idea.

An intelligent person who might not be able to develop a better method, but who can at least recognize one when they see it (someone who is not inhibited by his own big ego), might notice the benefit of using a method that does not require tools or ties.

Take a wire of whatever sort that is about 4 feet long. Fold it in half. Fold it in half again. Now it is 1 foot long. Grab both ends and tie an overhand knot. That's it. It stays stuck together in a much more compact and easy to manage form.

That one is more to the point, but if it don't work...

> http://www.amazon.com/Velcro-Reusable-Self-Gripping-Inches-91140/dp/B001E1Y5O6
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Doe

e.

This just gets funnier and funnier...

Reply to
fungus

I've still got a big reel of waxy string somewhere...

I use it for tying up people who trespass on my lawn.

Reply to
fungus

What for tying up your mother?

--
Nym-shifting troll
see also Google Groups
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Doe

This is a MIME-encoded message.

--==_=_====____40938.38997920143F0186AE==

I am impressed by how a person's big ego can prevent him (or her) from showing appreciation for a good idea.

An intelligent person who might not be able to develop a better method, but who can at least recognize a better method when he sees it (someone who is not inhibited by his own big ego), might notice the benefit of using a simple and effective method that does not require tools or ties.

Take a wire of whatever sort that is about 4 feet long. Fold it in half. Fold it in half again. Now it is 1 foot long. Grab both ends and tie an overhand knot. That's it. It stays stuck together in a much more compact and easy to manage form. The same method can be used for tying up tens of wires that are currently being used (plugged in at both ends) by doing as described above with the excess wire.

That one is more to the point, but if it don't work...

fungus  wrote:
nym-shifting troll
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Doe

It's not funny, it's common. You can see it regularly illustrated on YouTube. A talented person uploads a video showing off their talent. Someone comes along and disses that person. So you take a look at the troll's channel. And of course they have nothing to show of their own. So even if you weren't a nym-shifting troll, I wouldn't bother asking for evidence that you have ever come up with anything innovative of your own, because I know better.

You're a talentless nym-shifting troll who enjoys dissing others who have ideas of their own.

--
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Doe

Pueblo Dancer wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Harbor Freight sells a 30' roll of doublesided Velcro tape,sticks to itself. it's very handy around the house.

I suppose in a pinch you could use dental floss,the waxed kind.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jim Yanik

You can just wrap it with a spiral of #20 bus wire.

--
John Larkin, President       Highland Technology Inc
 Click to see the full signature

Using wire to wrap wire is how I developed the method. I had a bag full of 24 gauge insulated wire pieces, for binding wire. To keep those pieces organized, I started folding and tying them in an overhand knot. But there is no point in using a tie when you can do the same thing with the wire that you want to bind.

An intelligent person might not be able to develop a better method, but he (someone who is not inhibited by his own big ego) should at least be able to recognize a better method when he sees it, to notice the benefit of using a simple and effective method that does not require tools or ties.

Take a wire of whatever sort that is about 4 feet long. Fold it in half. Fold it in half again. Now it is 1 foot long. Grab both ends and tie an overhand knot. That's it. It stays stuck together in a much more compact and easy to manage form. The same method can be used for tying up the ends of wires that are currently being used (plugged in at both ends) by doing as described above with the excess wire.

That one is more to the point, but if it don't work...

John Doe

I meant this:

ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/SPM_Test_1.JPG

You can just do a few "ties" like this, or wrap a full spiral. One end can also be soldered down somewhere as an anchor.

ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/SPM_Test_2.JPG

Magnet wire works, too.

**********************************

John Larkin, President Highland Technology, Inc

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com

Precision electronic instrumentation Picosecond-resolution Digital Delay and Pulse generators Custom laser controllers Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links VME thermocouple, LVDT, synchro acquisition and simulation

Why not simply bind wire without tools or ties.

An intelligent person might not be able to develop a better method, but he (someone who is not inhibited by his own big ego) should at least be able to recognize a better method when he sees it, he should be able to see the benefit of using a simple and effective method that does not require tools or ties.

Take a wire of whatever sort that is about 4 feet long. Fold it in half. Fold it in half again. Now it is 1 foot long. Grab both ends and tie an overhand knot. That's it. It stays stuck together in a much more compact and easy to manage form. The same method can be used for tying up the ends of wires that are currently being used (plugged in at both ends) by doing as described above with the excess wire.

That one is more to the point, but if it don't work...

=ybegin line=128 size=2777 name=tying cables.jpg ))=J*:tpsp*+++*?*?**) *@o¢?**ssT*2*********)*m*20010/211133246>76556CGDIHGDFFJNXQJLVMFFRaSVZ[^^^IQcgb\fX]^\)*m+333656B7

7B\KFK\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\)ê*;2*¾*Õ-+L*,;+-;+)î*I**+/++++++********+,-=n/012345)î*ß:*,+--,=n-//=n=n **+§+,-*=n;/\«»Ë2MlÛë?|ûN]??¬34@ABCDOPQRST^_`abcdmnopqrst}~??????????? ¡¢£¤­®¯°±²³´¼½¾¿ÀÁÂÃÄÌÍÎÏÐÑÒÓÔÜÝÞßàáâ ãäìíîïðñòóôüýþÿ=@ =M !"#$)î*I+*-+++++++++******+,-=n/012345)î*ß;*,+,=n=n-=n1/=n=n*+,¡*+,-;=n/K[0l» ËÛë3M]|???û4@N^ OABCDPQRST_`abcdmnopqrst}~??????????? ¡¢£¤¬­®¯°±²³´¼½¾¿ÀÁÂÃÄÌÍÎÏÐÑÒÓÔÜÝÞßàáâãäìíîïðñòóôüýþÿ=@ =M  !"#$)*6-+*,;-;*i*þ1??ä_i?JO÷XT:?³Ê3??_|?«?ã=M_kú×ÞÏ,`¤?}¶=@?¤? ?l@QÄ*à«bÄNgñ_2æ¹gwcq?;Z?x9Èÿ@1?mPykjó!=} x=n Ô?{ÈßA ²?´0·,?Ëâ?TÑÓÌå´mí|,ð3n\(0??¾8lFú0à£PÇ{=}ý>þ*$SÃÍ^2Öçt?Ê=J{½v-ß[ÁJýÈæ}B$z0§ïè?h ?¦F=@ý¶ÿcM÷JSñMpZT?J=Júû6?ÒÄ:£1>2?´=J6Fÿ²456H|^§ »???ñ1g?6¬w¡+AY??õËæ??=@ïù??Ãé?ØØh?ä7-MæÀ(¬é? ÐnLßi?¥ÿ"N¢ê7I? RÚqßÿyàR,ÞAÀ *4â×R×ì¡?¹ ¹?ÛMä?yYBî®;ª_¯?ýR)*Z§S?ÿý±QJ6w?kcñÒ×2n´-6©ÞR-?ükN-Q»=@?¿? NR¤H¦?v3]p?çÓ]j´å·/?6üj6Xq? w*«wïJB?P?w?TS¯kv4?B_Í?´*°+Ãjùt¸!??@?¶v?NK6»üªMþ³M}?¿6?jèB?·?Tµe,£?r¼a÷ñ??vØ"8DÝ5,=I×k?=MNDj?àã?h~=M=n¡ ÓPá8?_NwG/?Þקy?*?8NPcÁÐù+ªyã}ÙKiÍ%=MÓ?ØËÙlS«fq[,Æ=Mº?pCfòí?wӏ[H±?³ö?Bñþ|j?? À?3GS¡áÏ[;¶ý]uÄ* ?ïP?÷*0ÃÆw` µ*=@_=}?|i?5È7*o@6÷ÄÙ9AeþÛÚ=}ÕrWûùmï*\¡?ÿ¡®=}´???¹ý²øR,»ª-üÂ~ÙkÄä=MQ?=}Pb>ª?\B??U? ?m?h????Â`at0?áºZsÔûÓßè?ù» ??þÍVÍÛ?/iãÉúvoÓjK?¤´ÄP÷ì?~??9ß:à?>+Ò?"??EM?bfz/Z?÷a^è¾6 ?wxÊ*ý?ð?ª=@CÒNFDÂßmP??;w°~ ??ö»Í?Æþ'=I¤h??"Ê4Q?¸c?T RPòohôT ?p?ÎÂÑêºA8£ÐÌÁb-?Uó(?}1~ôp\§?,Q²qÈ\ÿ-íät
Reply to
John Doe

a) Tying a knot in a wire isn't "talent".

b) I've got a big drawer full of wires tied exactly like in your method (sic). I've been doing it since I was little. I started doing it all by myself, nobody showed me how.

c) It's so obvious I wouldn't raise an eyebrow if you told me Neanderthals used to do it to keep their bundles of tendons tidy (in fact I'd be more surprised if you told me they *didn't* do it).

I guess this is what we get when we treat everybody as special and give them gold stars just for attending class.

Reply to
fungus