cool airplane

Ground effect, can't get very far off the water.

John

If you want to see a similar (smaller) plane in operation, watch this:

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

Interesting. Apparently it actually gets fairly good fuel economy, and = can=20 travel at speeds of about 350 MPH. I wonder how it compares to an = ordinary=20 jet aircraft of similar capacity, or a cruise ship? It may be a viable=20 alternative to both, allowing transatlantic travel in about 8 hours, and =

relatively crash-safe compared to falling into the sea from 30,000 feet. = But=20 if it only flies 16 feet above the water, what happens when it = encounters a=20

30 foot wave?

I like the "goose catcher" fan guard on one of the turbines. Maybe they=20 should have been installed on Captain Sully's aircraft.

Paul=20

Reply to
P E Schoen

Big hovercraft !

Here is the other end of the scale, this thing actually flies, not just in ground effect. And you could build one yourself.

Regards,

Adrian Jansen           adrianjansen at internode dot on dot net
Note reply address is invalid, convert address above to machine form.
Reply to
Adrian Jansen

It's not an aircraft, it is a hovercraft just happens to look like an airplane, were built by a shipyard, that should be a clue.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

Looks a bit like the Spruce Goose, which didn't either.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

In article , P E Schoen wrote

The pilot calls in an emergency: "Moio sudno na vozdushnoy podushke polno ugrey".

(that's the best I can do for a Russian transcription of the classic Pythonesque "My hovercraft is full of eels").

Dave Platt

I want one of thes *BAD* :)

H.

Reply to
Howard Eisenhauer

Obviously, it flies 14 feet below the water.

John

The tail gun mount appears to be nearly identical to the one on the Tu-16:

It probably used the same Nudelman 23mm cannon, which among its many applications in military aircraft was also mounted on the Almaz series space stations.

One has to wonder about what kind of threat a tail gun on a vehicle like the Ekranoplan would actually be effective in addressing. It's fast enough to outrun any surface threat, but at such a low altitude it doesn't look like the cannons could actually elevate enough to effectively counter aerial targets. It would have a gun-laying radar, but probably not a high enough rate of fire to deal with anti-ship missiles, either.

Better hope you fire your missiles before the enemy does!

Reply to
Bitrex

Its not a hovercraft. Its an airplane but it is not intended to fly very high. Actually it offers a very good way to stay under the radar. Only obstacles are a bit of a problem.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

--
At 350 MPH, aeronautical control surfaces are definitely in play so,
with terrain-following-radar dictating the timing, the craft merely

I want a fully staffed Merlin ;-) ...Jim Thompson

"P E Schoen" wrote in news:jfv2m4$eo7$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

cut

You have aircraft hamburger.

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

That's the way I want to go out.

:)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

The proper term, in this case, would be "surface effect".

Reply to
Pueblo Dancer

"P E Schoen"

Interesting. Apparently it actually gets fairly good fuel economy,

** That is *very* improbable.

and can travel at speeds of about 350 MPH. I wonder how it compares to an ordinary jet aircraft of similar capacity,

** Jets fly at 30 to 40 thousand feet to provide passengers with smooth flying, travel at near the speed of sound and expend the least fuel per passenger mile by flying in thin air.

It may be a viable alternative to both, allowing transatlantic travel in about 8 hours, and relatively crash-safe compared to falling into the sea from 30,000 feet.

** So crashing into shipping is OK by you ?

Bet that Soviet monstrosity never went near commercial shipping lanes.

Also, the ride would have been horrendous in all but the calmest weather.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

What about "altitude challenged seaplane"?:)

Reply to
asdf

Perhaps only because you are unable to see the physics behind it.

The only thing you have stated correctly thus far.

You also have problems with your capacity to properly quote in Usenet.

No shit, dumbfuck. Why would they deliberately fly it in a place where a collision would occur?

I think you have no grasp of the works.

Reply to
My Name Is Tzu How Do You Do

The fUSSR was evidently quite into ground-effect aircraft.

DAGS: "Caspian Sea Monster".

Reply to
krw